Author Topic: Parents of Robert Riddell - Born 1830 Ballygawley Tyrone Died 1890 Victoria Aust  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
Greetings from Victoria,

I write on behalf of a cousin John Riddell, who wishes to find out any details of his Grt Grt Grt grandparents. From Robert Riddell's marriage record to Maria Rooney on 1 May 1851 at Erigle Keerough, all we know is his fathers name was Peter. We believe Maria's parents were Arthurus Rooney and Eleanora ??,

We are hoping you may have access to locals records to fill the missing gaps in our research. Cousin John has also indicated family recollection here is the Riddells may have possibly originated from near the Scottish border.

If it helps, records here indicate Robert Riddell had one brother Thomas born at Curr in 1828, who married Margaret Hood at Carnteel, and have traced their sons William and Robert Henry emigrated to Queensland Aust.

Many Thanks for your time,
Mixo Victoria Australia
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Robert Riddell - Born 1830 Ballygawley Tyrone Died 1890 Victoria Aust
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 March 21 05:59 GMT (UK) »
From the 1851 marriage of Robert Riddell and Mary Rooney - I think her father is William Rooney, a farmer. It is difficult to read, but I believe it says William.

What information do you have about this couple from their Australian death records?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Robert Riddell - Born 1830 Ballygawley Tyrone Died 1890 Victoria Aust
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 March 21 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Re: Thomas Riddell / Riddle
There are two more children I can see emigrated to Ohio USA.
Agnes Riddell b.14 may 1862 (died 1928 Ohio USA) married Daniel Lockhart 1888 Ohio
George J Riddell b. 1864 (Died 1915 Ohio USA) married Anna Timmons 1889 Ohio
 From their death records the mother Margaret Hood shows as being born in Ayrshire, Scotland.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 March 21 06:53 GMT (UK) »
From the 1851 marriage of Robert Riddell and Mary Rooney - I think her father is William Rooney, a farmer. It is difficult to read, but I believe it says William.

What information do you have about this couple from their Australian death records?

Hi Neale1961,

Thank you for your prompt reply regarding my cousin's special connection with Robert Riddell and Maria / Mary Rooney from your district.

Unfortunately, our old time Australian record system from the 1800's does not provide any relevant info regarding Robert Riddell or his wife Maria / Maria Rooney apparently from Tyrone.

I have attached an official record of Maria Rooney birth record of 1837 to Arthurus and Eleanora Rooney, which I hope is of some researching interest to you.

Naturally, I am keen to review any formal documents at your disposal, which actually confirm your suggestion that Robert Riddell's father may hare William Riddell, and not Peter Riddell, as previously noted, and attached record.

Hope to hear from you soon, and many thanks for your local expertise,
Mixo Sydenham
Cousin of John Riddell of Bairnsdale Victoria Aust

Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 March 21 07:09 GMT (UK) »
You can access the original marriage record here.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1851/09405/5407247.pdf
 (I Think you will need to “login” for the link to work.)
Robert’s father is Peter, Mary's father I think is William. Both are farmers.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 March 21 07:16 GMT (UK) »

I have attached an official record of Maria Rooney birth record of 1837 to Arthurus and Eleanora Rooney, which I hope is of some researching interest to you.
I believe that birth record is not the one you are looking for.
If Mary was born in 1837, at her marriage in 1851 she would only be 14 years old. The marriage record says she is of full age, so 21 or older.
Also the marriage is Presbyterian, so Mary may not have been Catholic.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 March 21 07:52 GMT (UK) »
From the address “Killymorgan” for Mary Rooney on the 1851 marriage record, I believe her father William Rooney died in 1883 at age 93. Record here.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06373/4828828.pdf

It looks as if William Rooney also had a second marriage in 1858 to Jane Bearers. See here.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1858/09546/5460984.pdf

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 March 21 08:01 GMT (UK) »

The marriage record says she is of full age, so 21 or older.
Also the marriage is Presbyterian, so Mary may not have been Catholic.

Concur with Neale1961.

Mary was married in Ballygawley Presbyterian Church, her father William (a farmer). She was from Killymorgan townland (as mentioned by Neale) in the Civil Parish of Errigal Keerogue. It’s just to the north of Ballygawley.

https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/clogher/errigal-keerogue/ballygawley/killymorgan/

Her father William Rooney was listed in the Griffiths Valuation for 1860 in Tyrone

https://tinyurl.com/3j5k6edw

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 March 21 08:39 GMT (UK) »
From the address “Killymorgan” for Mary Rooney on the 1851 marriage record, I believe her father William Rooney died in 1883 at age 93. Record here.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06373/4828828.pdf

It looks as if William Rooney also had a second marriage in 1858 to Jane Bearers. See here.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1858/09546/5460984.pdf

On the death certificate the informant is Jane Rooney, widow.
From the marriage certificate Jane's first marriage is to a Lucas.