Author Topic: Abbreviations in Index to Prerogative Grant Books  (Read 466 times)

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abbreviations in Index to Prerogative Grant Books
« on: Thursday 04 March 21 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have what I hope is a simple question about abbreviations used in the Index to Prerogative Grant Books.

The page that I am interested in is here http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/dw/IRE_DIOC_007246589_00472.pdf

It shows (among other things)

Whiteside, William, Charlemont, Grange, 1695, com, 143
Whiteside, William, Ballydonaghy, Antrim, Gent, 1695, W, 158

Since this is an index, I assume that these are references to two different books, a book of wills (W) and a book of something else, com.

I can see a Betham's abstract for the will of the gent of Ballydonaghy, which mentions sons John and William. I think that these two were Quakers who lived in Grange, near Charlemont, Tyrone.

Would the 'com' entry relate to the administration of the 'W' entry? And if so, would the name (William Whiteside) be that of the testator or of the administrator? If it doesn't relate to the administration of the will, what is it?

I can see on the same page that other entries appear to be duplicated in a similar way, for example John Warren has the same pair of a W and a com and John Williams has an l (letters of admin?) and a com.

So what is 'com' and is the name there the testator or what?

Many thanks,

Alan

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abbreviations in Index to Prerogative Grant Books
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 March 21 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm just wondering if the books included all associated documentation, including the commissions to  swear executors (or administrators in cases of intestacy), ie. is 'com' commission?

I don't know, hopefully someone will.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 March 21 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Somewhat speculative, but back then wasn't there sometimes an extra step compared with later practice? I have this vague recollection that they had a group of worthies investigate the properties/assets of the deceased. If true, they would probably need to have been "commissioned" to undertake the inquiry?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 March 21 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies.

This article https://www.historyireland.com/early-modern-history-1500-1700/inquisitionspost-mortem-inquisitions-post-attainder-lesser-used-sources-irish-genealogy/ says that inquisitions post mortem continued in Ireland, in some cases at least, up until the 1690s and that the papers of these inquisitions were held by the commissioners on public records in Ireland.

The FamilySearch catalogue has the volume here https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/567359?availability=Family%20History%20Library

I wonder whether that is it.

Alan