Author Topic: Mystery of Edward Taylor, disappeared in Manchester 1930s  (Read 1086 times)

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery of Edward Taylor, disappeared in Manchester 1930s
« on: Thursday 04 March 21 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate this is a long shot but I’m looking for any advice or ideas to help solve a long-standing family mystery.  I’m helping a friend trying to find any information about her grandfather Edward Taylor who “disappeared” in the early 1930s in the Manchester area.  Until recently all she knew about Edward Taylor was his name, that he married her grandmother in 1921, they had 3 children (born from 1924 to 1931), and Edward had worked in the rubber industry. 

Recently, from lots of research and DNA matching, we’ve discovered where/when he was born, his parents and found him on 1881 census.  However, we can’t find any definite sign of Edward between 1881 census and his 1921 marriage, and also nothing definite about him after his 1930s disappearance.

The family story is that Edward left home when his children were very young (in early 1930s) and “was never seen or heard of again”. My friend says that her mum never mentioned him as far as she can remember, and there are no known photographs of Edward.  There are numerous family tales/rumours (without any evidence) that Edward was a forger and played the violin. That he was “a bit of a musician” going round the local pubs earning extra money.  Also, that he was well known in  the Longsight area if anyone wanted letters writing or anything “copying”  then Edward (or “Ted”) Taylor would do it. It’s also claimed that he used to go away for long spells at a time, and that he went to America a lot and could speak several languages.  Also that he had worked for the Royal Mint.

The information we have relating to Edward is:-

Birth (GRO Index). Edward Taylor, mother’s maiden name HOYLAND, 1873 March Qtr., Chorlton.

Baptism. 11 Mar 1875 St Stephen, Hulme.  Edward Taylor, parents John Taylor & Sydonia.  Edward noted as being “about 2years old”.  (John & Sydonia had 2 other children, Alice born 1871 & Elizabeth born 1874, died 1875. They were all baptised at same time as Edward). 

1881 Census. 104, Lower Broughton Rd Salford. Head is Edward’s father John Taylor, 32, Doctor Maker (apparently this is a scraper tool used in printing machines). Edward shown as son, age 8, born Salford. John is with his 2nd wife Ellen (Metcalfe) plus 3 Metcalfe children and 2 other Taylor children (from John & Ellen marriage).  Edward was from John’s first marriage in 1870 to Sydonia Hoyland who died in 1874. 

Marriage Certificate.  5 Sept 1921 Chorlton Register Office. Edward Taylor married Catherine Rochford, widow, age 27. Edward shown as age 46, bachelor, Rubber Worker of 19 Broom Street, Ardwick. (His wife’s maiden name was Catherine/Kate Barrett, previously married to Martin Rochford who died 1919).

During 1920s, Edward with his wife and children lived at various Manchester addresses - Brunswick Street, Ardwick and Egerton Terrace, Fallowfield. Edward was a Rubber Mixer.  Information from children’s birth certificates.

Marriage certificate of Edward’s daughter, Sept. 1940.  This shows her father Edward Taylor, Rubber Worker, as “deceased” but there’s some doubt whether this was true.

I can provide more information about Edward’s parents, and ancestors further back, if that would help.  His father John Taylor is on 1891, 1901 & 1911 census in various addresses in Broughton, Salford. He’s with daughter Alice in 1891, living with boarders in 1901 & 1911.  There’s no sign of Edward.

To summarise, what we’re trying to find out is:-
- any information about Edward after 1881 census until his marriage in 1921
- what happened to Edward after 1931

We’ve searched census records, electoral rolls, passenger lists, BMDs etc but can’t find anything that fits Edward.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome … or if any of this rings a bell with someone!!
Thanks …… Malcolm
Wood(s) – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors & Sawley (orig. W.Yorkshire 1841)
Thornley, Heyes – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors
Emmett – Lancashire/Chorley, Blackburn
Nightingale, Livesey, Warburton, Gorton – Lancashire/Blackburn, Darwen
Kilshaw - Lancaster
Mahoney – Oswaldtwistle, Ireland
Brennan – E.Lancs., Tipperary

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of Edward Taylor, disappeared in Manchester 1930s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 March 21 18:57 GMT (UK) »
There is an Edward D Taylor born 10 January 1873.

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 March 21 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this.

I've spent hours trawling through the 1939 register but I haven't seen this. He had no middle name as far as we know (none on birth or baptism) but perhaps that's not an initial.  From the occupation and DOB it could possibly be him as his birth was registered in 1st quarter of 1873.  Also, the address is really interesting as Edward and family lived at 105 Brunswick Street in 1924.  I don't recognise any of the other names listed there, in what looks likes a lodging house. 

At the moment, we don't have his exact DOB, I'll order his birth certificate to get this and see if it matches.

I need to investigate this further.

Thanks .... Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 March 21 22:50 GMT (UK) »
On FindMyPast There is a WW1 record for Edward Taylor a Rubber Worker enlisted 22 April 1915 age 41 and 4 months.

He was 5ft 9

Think his number is 292245.  Indexed as L285

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 March 21 09:55 GMT (UK) »
On FindMyPast There is a WW1 record for Edward Taylor a Rubber Worker enlisted 22 April 1915 age 41 and 4 months.

He was 5ft 9

Think his number is 292245.  Indexed as L285

I checked military records and couldn't find anything that seemed to fit. This was on Ancestry as I don't have a FindMyPast subscription.  I'll look into this.  Does it say where he enlisted & which regiment?

Thanks ..... Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 March 21 10:10 GMT (UK) »
It’s not a full attestation but Wo 364 - First World War Pension Claims.

Transcribed as 125th Battery of Royal Garrison Artillery. But I am not sure why. 

There is a form headed “casualty Form - active service”
Stamped 133rd (co Palatine) Heavy Battery R.G.A.

Birth Place is just listed as Manchester
Enlisted Manchester
No NOK or address.  Not that form.

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 March 21 10:20 GMT (UK) »
It’s not a full attestation but Wo 364 - First World War Pension Claims.

Transcribed as 125th Battery of Royal Garrison Artillery. But I am not sure why. 

There is a form headed “casualty Form - active service”
Stamped 133rd (co Palatine) Heavy Battery R.G.A.

Birth Place is just listed as Manchester
Enlisted Manchester
No NOK or address.  Not that form.

Thanks a lot for this. I'll see if I can find this on Ancestry and check it out.

Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 March 21 16:33 GMT (UK) »
This is the medal award roll on ancestry for that one

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/5119/images/41629_636897_10755-00270?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=266976aad7a47866596f31544916c748&usePUB=true&_phsrc=uNC7&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=126131

Also much bigger file here

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/1114/images/MIUK1914A_118535-00436?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=ed2753a82f1c61e3ec3fdcf1aec24e58&usePUB=true&_phsrc=uNC10&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.229218908.1539629981.1614322968-1820828420.1592007945&pId=816209

Address post war of 3 York Street

Added..that last link has the pages I can see on FindMyPast attached.

Thanks a lot for this. I managed to find them on Ancestry.co.uk by tweaking your links. I've downloaded all the images and will study them over the weekend. But, from a first quick check, some of this looks quite promising as his occupation, Lower Broughton address & age are reasonable fits.

I note that his "Statement as to Disability" sheet indicates previous service & discharge - from 5th Hardwicks (?) in 1890 (?).  More food for thought.

Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster