Author Topic: Mystery of Edward Taylor, disappeared in Manchester 1930s  (Read 1084 times)

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of Edward Taylor, disappeared in Manchester 1930s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 March 21 16:16 GMT (UK) »
An update on this query - and good news!!

I've now got Edward Taylor's birth certificate.  His DOB was 10 Jan 1873 - an exact match to the 1939 Register entry.  There's no middle name, just Edward, the same as his baptism.  I think the apparent "D" in 1939 is just a mistake or perhaps the enumerator's way of showing the last letter of "Edward".

The address on Edward's WW1 military record (3 York Street, Lower Broughton) is where his father was on 1911 census.

Combining this with other information in the records, I think we can safely say this is the Edward Taylor we've been looking for.

Now to find out if he really went to America!!

Thanks again, LizzieW and Mckha489.
Wood(s) – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors & Sawley (orig. W.Yorkshire 1841)
Thornley, Heyes – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors
Emmett – Lancashire/Chorley, Blackburn
Nightingale, Livesey, Warburton, Gorton – Lancashire/Blackburn, Darwen
Kilshaw - Lancaster
Mahoney – Oswaldtwistle, Ireland
Brennan – E.Lancs., Tipperary

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 March 21 16:33 GMT (UK) »
As he showed up on the 1939 register, I looked for deaths after that and there were only 2 of men born 1873.

Edward Taylor died 1845 age 72, reference Manchester, Jan-Mar, vol 8D, page 349. 
(The age would suggest he died before his birthday, 10 Jan, or maybe he even died in December and the death wasn't registered until January).

Edward Taylor died 1962 age 89, reference Manchester, Oct-Dec, vol 10E, page 225.

I doubt the story he went to America.  In 1939 he was already 66, then the war happened so he wouldn't have been able to go until after 1945 by which time unless he was very rich, I doubt the Americans would have let him go there to live.

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 March 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
We've just got the 1945 death certificate you mentioned. Died 18 Feb 1945 at 20 Nell Lane, Withington (Withington Hospital's address).  Shown as age 72, of 96 Brunswick Street, Chorlton (Edward was on this street in 1939 at no. 107 !), formerly general labourer.  The informant was "The Occupier" of 20 Nell Lane, so presumably a hospital worker. 

I think this could well be the correct Edward but it's not totally conclusive.  His age fits, his address is close to where he was in 1939, and the fact that no family member registered the death would, I think, be expected. We're trying to find his burial/cremation but, even if we do, I suspect there'd be nothing conclusive in that.  I was thinking that electoral registers might help (they're at Manchester Central Library which we can't visit at the moment) but I understand that there weren't any from 1940-1944 so I'm not sure how useful.

I'm also a little doubtful of the American tale.  I think if he did go, it would have been when he was younger, between 1890 and 1914.

Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 March 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Manchester Archives and Local Studies apparently has records of admissions to Nell Lane Hospital as it wad then, up to 1946, so they be able to give you more information than is shown on the death cert.

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 March 21 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Manchester Archives and Local Studies apparently has records of admissions to Nell Lane Hospital as it wad then, up to 1946, so they be able to give you more information than is shown on the death cert.

Thanks, I'll check that.

Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 March 21 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I typed the last message on my phone - never very good as I'm used to touch typing.  I meant to say

Manchester Archives and Local Studies apparently has records of admissions to Nell Lane Hospital as it was then, up to 1946, so they may be able to give you more information than is shown on the death cert.