Author Topic: PURVES (also PURVIS)  (Read 828 times)

Offline CanadianMcCubbin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PURVES (also PURVIS)
« on: Thursday 04 March 21 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I posted the following on the Tyrone, Ireland page. But since the origins appear to be in Scotland, I think it could be useful to post here also!
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=845492.msg7124079#msg7124079

So - I believe the last Purvis of our line before James Purves (born in either 1720 in Tyrone or 1719 in Greenlaw, Berwick) was James Purves (of Purveshaugh) 1691-1774. I need help confirming this.

"My 5th great-grandfather was James Purvis of Tyrone (b 1720 County Londonderry d 1801 County Tyrone). Birth might have been 1719 Greenlaw, Berwick, Scotland). I've done Ancestry DNA, and have confirmed with dna back to James' son Dolway Purvis (1753-1836) and his wife Sarah Hooper. It also confirms back to James Purvis (1720-1801) and his wife Mary Margaret (1724-1801). I'm pretty sure that James' parents were James Purves (1691-1774) and Joannet Pringle (1695-)...but no one else researching this Purves line seems to have confirmed the connection from Ireland back to Scotland.

Anyone else working on this PURVES/PURVIS line?   Thanks!!!"
McCubbin > Smith - Whiteman - Johnstone/Johnston - Shaw - MacRobert - Halliday -
Risbey > Gamble - Weightman - Smith - Tranter - Oatridge - Watkins - Purvis - Jones - Grieve - Johnson - Nesbit - Reavely - Turnbull

Offline appl314

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PURVES (also PURVIS)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I am in the same direct line as you. I don't have anything further back, however our family story was that the family has been in Northern Ireland since 1620's, but originally from Scotland prior to that. The story is that two brothers, who served in the military, were granted land there. When they arrived to start farming they decided that it was not the best farmland and could not support both brothers and their families, so one returned to Scotland and the other remained...who was our ancestor.