Author Topic: Looking for Quinn/Murray relatives from Ballina (Carrowcuslaun and Cloonislaun)  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Jimmy_c

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I've been tracing back my tree in Ballina and I'm looking for any info, missing relatives or connections.

My Grandad is John Patrick Quinn born 1922 Cloonislaun in Ballina -  died 1994 St Anne's in Nottingham.

John Patrick Quinn's Father was Patrick Thomas Quinn Born 1896 in Ballina (Carrowcushlaun) and died 1971 Syndenham Avenue Liverpool. Patrick Thomas Quinn's Parents were John Quinn and Mary Philbin from Cloonislaun and Carrowcushlaun. I believe Patrick Thomas Quinn was an only child after several siblings died in infancy. I would love to know if he had any living siblings. I'd also really love to know if anyone knew him. We have no memories about Patrick Thomas Quinn.

John Patrick Quinn's Mother was Winifred Quinn nee Murray. She was born 1885 in Cloonislaun Ballina and died in 1967 in St Joseph's Home Liverpool. Her parents were Martin Murray and Mary Winifred Reddington both living in Cloonislaun Ballina. They had several children called Michael, Annie and Patrick. I'd love to know anyone who knew Winifred or more about the family lines. She lived a hard life and would like to know if she ever stayed in touch with family in Ballina. We also believe she may have had another child. My grandad spoke of having a brother but we can't find any records.

Any help or connections would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile

Welcome to RootsChat, Jimmy  :)

John Patrick Quinn's Father was Patrick Thomas Quinn Born 1896 in Ballina (Carrowcushlaun)……

Pat Thomas Quinn born 17th June 1896 at Bolypatrick?, Ballina.    MMN Philbin
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1896/02157/1817762.pdf

Patrick Thomas Quinn's Parents were John Quinn and Mary Philbin from Cloonislaun and Carrowcushlaun.

Their marriage in 1894.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1939/08867/5206640.pdf

Cloonslaun townland
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/tireragh/kilmoremoy/ardnaree-south-rural/cloonslaun/

Carrowcushlaun townland
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/tireragh/kilmoremoy/carrowcushlaun/

Winifred Murray in 1901 census
Residents of a house 14 in Cloonslaun (Ardmaree South, Mayo)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Ardmaree_South/Cloonslaun/1570627/

Marriage of Martin Murray and Winifred Reddington in 1867.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1867/11515/8234808.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Quinn/Murray relatives from Ballina (Carrowcuslaun and Cloonislaun)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 March 21 09:25 GMT (UK) »

Here's the marriage of Patrick Quinn and Winifred Murray on 10th February 1920 in Ballina RC Cathedral.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09263/5353272.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Quinn/Murray relatives from Ballina (Carrowcuslaun and Cloonislaun)
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 March 21 11:19 GMT (UK) »

1911 census
Residents of a house 12 in Carrowcushlaun (part of) (Ardnaree South, Mayo)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Ardnaree_South/Carrowcushlaun__part_of_/698549/

Patk Thos Quinn living with his parents. Married 18 years, 3 children born, one still living.

....and in 1901 census.
Residents of a house 14 in Carrowcushlaun (Ardmaree South, Mayo)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Ardmaree_South/Carrowcushlaun/1570608/

KG

Offline Jimmy_c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks for all of those links. Incredible to see the records. I had a few records from the registry office but that's really filled in the gaps. I now know that my Grandad emigrated to England/Nottingham around 1939 for work but can't find him on the 1939 records. He built airports and hospitals all the way up to his death in 1994. His Mum and Dad (Patrick Thomas and Winifred) emigrated to Liverpool sometime in the fifties. Winifred Quinn was on the death record of her daughter Mary Quinn in Ballina 1951 so Winifred at least must still have been in Ballina then. I would love to know what made them leave their home so late in life and head over to Liverpool. Winifred would have been approaching or in her 60s when she moved to Liverpool. We know from friends of the family that Wiinifred came to see my grandad in the sixties but he refused to see here as he was so ashamed that he'd had two of his boys out of wedlock. She died in 1967 and my mother and her siblings never knew her. My grandad asked my mum to find his mother, father and brother when he was dying. We'd really love to find any memories of them. I can't find any trace of my grandad's brother in the civil records so I'm exploring if he was adopted or possibly a cousin.

Thanks to your support I now have the following records:

John Quinn => Death, Marriage, Census 1901/1911
Mary Philbin => Death, Marriage, Census 1901/1911

Martin Murray => Census 1901/1911, Marriage
Winifred Reddington => Census 1901/1911, Marriage, Death

Patrick Thomas Quinn => Birth, Death, Marriage, Census 1901/1911
Winifred Murray => Birth, Death, Marriage, Census 1901/1911

John Quinn => Birth, Baptism, Confirmation, Death, Marriage
Mary Winifred Murray => Birth, Death (Sadly Mary passed aged 27 in 1951 from Epilepsy)

I'm also searching now for records regarding Mary Winifred Murray's Siblings but would love to chat to anyone who has a shared history.

Mary's Siblings, all based in Cloonslaun or Carrowcushlaun, Ballina are:

Patrick Murray (1876) => Census Records
Annie Murray (1879) => Census Records
Michael Murray (1881) married to Mary Timlin => Marriage certificate, Census Records

Thanks again for your help it's really building a strong picture of family we never knew.

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Michael Murray married Mary Timlin in Ballina 1931, he would have been around 50yrs and Mary also from same place would be around 45yrs  Michael died in 1958. I cant see any obituary for Michael Murray.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 March 21 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Michael Murray married Mary Timlin in Ballina 1931, he would have been around 50yrs and Mary also from same place would be around 45yrs 

Link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1931/09027/5266479.pdf

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 March 21 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Michael died in 1958.

Linked - his death at Cloonslaun, Ballina. The informant seems to be his niece, Mary McGowan?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1958/04376/4136189.pdf

KG

Offline Tortoiseshell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jimmy_c

Griffith’s Valuation of 1856 list’s a number of plots in the Cloonslaun townland owned by Robert Verschoyle that were occupied by various Murray’s and is worth having a look at.

Going back a little further and with reference to the Pat MURRAY father of the Martin MURRAY who married Mary Winifred REDDINGTON.

I have been looking at the parish of Kilmoremoy Roman Catholic parish records that the National Library of Ireland have made freely available online (they are also viewable at FamilySearch) and these have been of great help to me in trying to build the 'my' MURRAY family groups around Ballina, but these particular registers start 1823.  I believe (though I am happy to be corrected) that there are none surviving prior to this date.

You might also like to note that gaps appear between Oct 1836 & May 1849 and July 1849 & July 1851 for baptisms; Oct 1842 & Oct 1850 for marriages; and Aug 1836 & Sep 1840 and post May 1844 burials. There may be other gaps that I have missed - I don’t know why there are such gaps, but it may be that those parts of the registers have been lost – interestingly there are some notes in the registers to the effect that the parish clerk had been negligent in his duties - so some gaps are unlikely ever to be filled!

My cohort of MURRAYs from Cloonslaun ended up in Rochdale, Lancashire and are descended from Michael Murray and his wife, Mary May(n)oc(k)/Manock/Mack.

I have most likely birth range for this Michael MURRAY of 1831 to 1835.  I have found two candidates for him baptised during this period, one of whom is the son of someone who may be of interest to you.  This is a Michael MURRY, son of Patt MURRY and Kitty McGOVAN of Cloonslaun (sponsors: Michael KILGALLEN and Mary DEMPSY).

This may be of interest to you since when Martin MURRAY married Winifred REDDINGTON he gave his fathers name as Pat MURRAY.

I have found the four other children of Patt and Kitty (sponsors in brackets – always a good clue for other potential family members):

18 Apr 1824   Daniel    (Denis McGOWAN and Cath McGOWAN)
27 Jul 1825   Mary        (James McGOWAN and Margt DWYER(?)
6 Jan 1828   Patt       (Martin MURRY and Winifred MURRY)
28 May 1834   Richard  (John COLLINS and Ellen MURPHY)

I can find no marriage entry for Patt and Kitty but they are likely to have married prior to 1823. From the 1901 Ireland Census Martin MURRAY was born about 1819 so he might be a son of Patt and Kitty. 

Given the gaps in the registers there may be further children of this couple and, even assuming they did not move parishes, it may prove difficult to identify with sufficient certainly which family group of Murray's particular individuals belong to. Taking notice of sponsors/witnesses/informants on baptisms, marriages and deaths can give important clues - as is trying to eliminate individuals by finding deaths and burials for them; also look at any later marriages of the children to see if additional clues emerge.

If you decide to start digging further.... good luck!!