Author Topic: John Nelthorpe (abt 1801-1878) surgeon of Louth, born in Fulstow  (Read 1427 times)

Offline pandk2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Nelthorpe (abt 1801-1878) surgeon of Louth, born in Fulstow
« on: Friday 05 March 21 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I would like to know who his parents were, and whether there is any connection to the Nelthorpes of Scawby Hall.
Thank you in advance for any information

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: John Nelthorpe (abt 1801-1878) surgeon of Louth, born in Fulstow
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 March 21 04:11 GMT (UK) »
According to an obituary from 1865, Sir John NELTHORPE, (born 1814) was the eldest son of John NELTHORPE of Ferraby, Lincs, and grandson of John NELTHORPE. The John you mention may be related, but I would think it's not a close relationship.  :-\

Obit from: Saturday,  Dec. 9, 1865, The Illustrated London News

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 March 21 10:23 GMT (UK) »
The baptism is squeezed onto the side of the page and I think Little Gums is Little Grims (Little Grimsby)

There is a possible burial of his father:

John Nelthorpe buried on 8th May 1819, age 51 at Little Grimsby

also a possible baptism

John Nelthorpe, son of John and Mary, baptised on 31st August 1767 at Little Grimsby

A John married Mary Cracroft there on 19th may 1766

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 March 21 12:49 GMT (UK) »
An interesting article about John Nelthorpe of Little Grimsby

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Beauclerk,_Duchess_of_St_Albans

Many others if you search on John Nelthorpe of Little Grimsby

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 March 21 03:52 GMT (UK) »
There are numerous articles and detailed obituaries over the years for the NELTHORPE family.

As far as I can work out from those and parish records, John NELTHORPE, Baronet (c1745-1799 - his parents Henry and Elizabeth) married Anna Maria Charlotte WILLOUGHBY in 1772. They had the following children:
1772   Anna Maria Charlotte
1773   Henry
1775   Frances Maria
1776   John
1783   Charles Montague (bu 1783)

Henry (c1773-1830) married Margaret DUTHIE in 1806 (one of the witnesses was Christian BROWN)
He died childless and the Baronetcy passed to his nephew John (c1814-1865).

This John was the son of John NELTHORPE (c1776-1824) and Christian BROWN (who married in 1812). (John snr's first wife was Mary Ann BROOKE, they were childless). They had the folowing children:
1814   John (who married Frances Maria ANDERSON in 1838, and died in 1865, childless)
1817   Charlotte
1821  Henry

There is also John NELTHORPE (c1740-1784) of Little Grimsby (High Sherriff in 1775) who married Mary CRACROFT (c1731-1809) in 1766. They had the following children:
1767   John
1769   Griffith (bu 1769)
1775  Maria Janetta (who married William BEAUCLERK)

I see that one John NELTHORPE's (surgeon) children has a middle name Beauclerk, which suggests they are related to this family. However, I'm not sure how the Baronet's family and the family at Little Grimsby relate (I can't see a baptism for John c1740), so I'm not sure that your family is closely related to the Scawby NELTHORPEs.

Hope that all makes sense!

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 March 21 10:01 GMT (UK) »
A few cuttings:-

Stamford Mercury 29 September 1820
"On the 14th inst., Mr. John Nelthorpe, surgeon, to Hannah Maria daughter of Mr. Butterfleld, surgeon, both of Louth.

Stamford Mercury 1 June 1804
 "Last week died, at Lincoln, aged 73, Mrs. Nelthorpe, widow of John.Nelthorpc, Esq. lately of Little Grimsby, near Louth, and youngest daughter of the late Robt. Cracroft, Esq. of Hackthorne, by his first wife Miss Brown, by whom she left issue, one son, John Nelthorpe, Esq. and one daughter, the present Lady Wm Beauclerk. Her loss will be severely felt by the poor, to whose ditress she was always attentive, as well as by her numerous friends, etc..."

Stamford Mercury 29 January 1802
"To be LET
From Year to Year, & entered upon immediately, LITTLE GRIMSBY HOUSE, the late residence of John Nelthorpe, Esq. and within one miles of Louth, etc..."

Stamford Mercury 13 September 1793
To be LET,
 And entered upon at Michaelmas next, O.S. ALL that MANSION-HOUSE (commonly called LITTLE GRIMSBY HALL), together with the Offices, Yards,

P>S> This site links the Scawby family to that of Little Grimsby but you need to register = https://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/nn/nelthorpe1.php

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 March 21 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Leeds Intelligencer 30 March 1784
"Tuesday se'nnight died, at Little Grimsby, Lincolnshire, much lamented, John Nelthorp, Esq; aged 44. It is remarkable that his father died at the same age, the same day of the same month, the same day of the week and same hour of the day."

se'nnight means seven nights i.e. a week

This seems to make him the son of Griffith Nelthorp, although I can't find a death that matches the above scenario. It was probably Griffith who died in Little Grimsby on 3rd December 1854, age 42.

According to the Stirnet tree, he was the son of James, the son of Richard of Scawby.