Author Topic: Diary > Friday 5th March  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 5th March
« on: Friday 05 March 21 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Had to set the alarm today as art class was in the morning this week, woke beforehand. It was a demonstration this week using Brusho, a medium I've only used a few times but rather like the slightly uncontrollable nature of it. Was able to sit in the lounge to watch it. After the demo the teacher discussed the homework pieces that people had done, I hadn't. She went on to the progress on our previous project, she mentioned a couple of tweaks for me to make and said that after that she would give it ten out of ten. I was so pleased.

After some lunch I went for my walk, it was cold but quite bright. Came home and spent a little while reading then ironed some bedding. Made some changes to my Tesco order, then had an hour or so conversation with my friend A, enjoyed the catch up.

A couple of glasses of Chardonnay this evening, wasn't feeling quite so chipper despite my art teacher's compliments and a chat with a friend. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow, there aren't too many choices but I'm sure I'll keep myself entertained, I always do.

* Have corrected the heading I originally mucked up.   :-[
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 19th 5th March
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 March 21 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Well, here I sit in front of my computer. The time is 12.47pm Saturday the 6th of March.
What a day yesterday was. Civil Defence sent a warning through our phones for a Tsunami alert. So not only dealing with a covid outbreak but a Tsunami warning added to the mix. So yesterday was not boring. 0 new cases of covid for about 5 days now. Unfortunately, it was the UK strain but we managed to rein it in.
At 4pm last night our PM said we could go down alert levels as of 6am Sunday. So I will go back to level1 and Auckland back to level 2.
A few of us had the big job of notifying all our club members that the club opens tomorrow. Lucky I have just updated the membership list with cell phone numbers and email address. So much easier to contact everyone. Just have 2 phone calls to make.
Off now to help an 82-year-old with his mum's side of his tree. He has done a lot of leg work at the L.D.S church so I am helping fill in the gaps.
Ok, there goes my phone so must move.
Stay safe everyone
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 5th March
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 March 21 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Good heavens Carol, that's certainly something we don't have to put up with here, it must be very worrying. Good news though that you're back to level 1. Hope things calm down for you, enjoy your family tree work.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 March 21 01:11 GMT (UK) »
I heard all about the possible tsunami Carol. I didn’t hear much in our news after the intital warnings, so presume it didn’t come to anything? Good to be prepared, but sometimes with these warnings (we get cyclone, storm and hail) it can be a bit like crying wolf where most of the time nothing happens, people get complacent, and them wham. I don’t know a way around it though. Possibly better predictive modelling? White Island was a case in point where they say they knew something was brewing, yet decisions were made to continue to take tourists there.

Roobarb, I had to Google “Brusho” - I’ve never heard of this before. Presumably you are required to buy each of these mediums to complete your projects? They seem quite expensive here - I’m sure you can get some good effects with them. Well done on getting a 10 out of 10 for your previous project.  :)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 March 21 03:01 GMT (UK) »
It would have had to travel a good 20km inland to be near me. Mt Maunganui got 1m swells which the surfies enjoyed. Watched a couple of places on the news that got a decent swell with boats bobbing around. I would not have wanted to be in the water as the undercurrents would have been quite strong.
Just another day of life in this new world we lived in.
The weather lately as been wet but inside temp around 27c and humid about 55% to 60%.
So we head into Autumn then winter.
I do understand what it is like to do a lockdown in Winter as we did ours in March last year. We had a lot more restrictions and I found it very hard.
Stay Safe Stay Strong
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 March 21 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Glad to hear it wasn't too bad as far as you have heard Carol.
I hope nothing more desperate seeps into the news.

Lovely to get flowers Roobarb.

I went with a distanced walk with a friend whose birthday it was. I bought some daffodils for her, and we saw some wild rabbits.

Nothing more exciting to say.
Bit sunnier today, so hope people can get into their gardens.
Down here of course we shall be swamped by people driving for miles to get exercise, so I am off out to get bread now!!

Waiting for news from Viktoria.....
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 March 21 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Well done Roobarb with your art work... I’m not surprised you were feeling good... it’s always nice to receive flowers unexpectedly... what a lovely neighbour you have so thoughtful.

I read about your tsunami warnings and a friend in NZ told me that a car journey of two hours had taken seven! Good to have these warnings but the confusion and alarm they must cause...glad to hear that it’s all been stepped down now.

MH - it’s a shame that when the weather improves your pretty area gets flooded with people who aren’t locals! Lucky you can get out early and late to take advantage...

My day was pretty much the same as all others... weather was still dull and chilly...
I did some washing to make sure the machine was still noise free which it was!
Decided that the house needed a good clean as been a bit lax over past week...
Bread making day so our usual late lunch... it did brighten up a little but too late to go out for a walk to be safe in our area..
Heard from my friends hubbie that her operation had gone well no replacement needed and everything put back together... she was back at her sons in the evening, he’s an orthopaedic surgeon so she’s in good hands...time will tell how it has affected her mobility..
Had chicken curry for dinner..
Watched some tv.. been watching series with archaeologist from Oxford and this final one was about a city from nearly 10,000 years ago in Turkey that was excavated in the 1960’s.. never heard of it before but some wonderful artefacts found..
Early night as I was tired..

Thoughts with those suffering ... some light at the end of the tunnel with children back at school on Monday.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 March 21 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Great news your friend's operation has been a success Caroline. :D

More details where l can find the archeology TV prog please. ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 March 21 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie, there's no obligation to buy the products, we always have the option of using a different medium or even painting an entirely different subject if we don't fancy it. Sometimes the subjects don't appeal to me but I do like to challenge myself, I think you can get stuck in a rut if you always do the same thing.

Pleased to hear your weather is improving MH, lovely for your friend to have a birthday walk with you.

Great news about your friend's op Caroline, absolutely amazing that she was done and out in such a short time. Reassuring that she's at her son's.

I'm also hoping to hear from Viktoria soon.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham