Author Topic: Surname change conundrum!  (Read 3596 times)

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname change conundrum!
« on: Monday 08 March 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!

After years of searching I finally think I may be on the way to cracking a brick wall in my tree.
My gg grandfather was always known to us as Daniel Duffy born 1877 in Stockton however there are no records of a Daniel Duffy being born in Stockton at that time. Following a DNA test and unearthing his youngest child's baptism record we are fairly sure the Daniel Jackson born 1878 in Stockton is actually him!

Now, we have found the birth record and also the 1881 census record where he is living in Stockton with his mother Mary Ann Jackson (b.1851 Wolviston) however from there the trail for Mary Ann goes cold. Between 1881 and 1891 Daniel changes from being Daniel Jackson to Daniel Duffy so I thought that maybe Mary married a Duffy but I cant find a birth record. Can anyone suggest anything else I could look for? Daniel was found in an industrial school in Newcastle in 1891. I've tried searching newspaper archives etc too but no joy. The only record from the industrial school was a confirmation in 1889 'Daniel Patrick Duffy'. He lists his father as Daniel Duffy labourer on his marriage cert in 1903 but this could just be made up. I've been unable to find any potential fathers called Daniel Duffy in Stockton area at that time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! All his info is on my tree on ancestry which is public.

Thanks in advance :)

Andrew

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname change conundrum!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 21 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Was Mary Ann unmarried or maybe her maiden surname was Duffy?

Sorry - I missed that you've looked for a Duffy.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Was Mary Ann unmarried or maybe her maiden surname was Duffy?

Hello! She is listed as unmarried on Daniel Jackson birth certificate and also on 1881 census.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 21 15:35 GMT (UK) »
On the GRO index no mother's maiden name is shown - which usually implies that the child is illegitimate.

So if you have the birth certificate - is a father's name shown please?

It's possible that Daniel Duffy was his real father - but he and Mary Ann Jackson didn't marry. If - at the time of his birth Mary Ann Jackson was single - the child would be registered with her surname of Jackson.

Daniel may have later taken on his father's name by choice. It is of course possible that he and his father had a close relationship even if the father didn't marry the mother.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 21 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Andrew -

I've checked most of the online sources but come up with the same blank as you. No sign of Mary Ann so far after 1881.  Does it record who was responsible for him in the school log? 

Are you sure Daniel Patrick Duffy is him?   

The Patrick might be significant. Have you checked for a Patrick Duffy in the area?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 21 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Please find birth certificate below

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 March 21 16:02 GMT (UK) »
On the GRO index no mother's maiden name is shown - which usually implies that the child is illegitimate.

So if you have the birth certificate - is a father's name shown please?

It's possible that Daniel Duffy was his real father - but he and Mary Ann Jackson didn't marry. If - at the time of his birth Mary Ann Jackson was single - the child would be registered with her surname of Jackson.

Daniel may have later taken on his father's name by choice. It is of course possible that he and his father had a close relationship even if the father didn't marry the mother.

I thought it was possible Daniel Duffy was the real father however I have been unable to find a Daniel Duffy close by that it could be. It's between 1881-1891 the change from Jackson to Duffy comes about. He then goes by Daniel Duffy entirely until the birth of his youngest child who he gives Jackson as a middle name and calls himself Daniel Jackson Duffy.

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 March 21 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Andrew -

I've checked most of the online sources but come up with the same blank as you. No sign of Mary Ann so far after 1881.  Does it record who was responsible for him in the school log? 

Are you sure Daniel Patrick Duffy is him?    Yes, quite sure as dates match.

The Patrick might be significant. Have you checked for a Patrick Duffy in the area? I haven't actually - I'm going to look now! I always went with Daniel Duffy because that is the name of father he put on his marriage certificate

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 March 21 19:17 GMT (UK) »
By coincidence there is a birth for a Patrick Daniel Duffy Q/E June 1877 in South Shields! Mother's maiden name is Kelly - so it doesn't seem connected, unless this person turned his given names around!

Just thought I would mention it to muddy the waters even more!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.