Author Topic: Surname change conundrum!  (Read 3598 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Surname change conundrum!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 March 21 16:27 GMT (UK) »
One small problem with the Daniel Jackson birth, 21 May 1878, is that on the 1939 register Daniel Duffy gives his date of birth as 2 Sep 1877.

I don't think this is uncommon.  I have ancestors on the 1939 register for whom I have birth certificates, but the dob on the 1939 register is different.  As you say, either they didn't know their actual birth, or maybe they were trying to fool their spouse.  My g.gran did that for years after she met g.grandad, knocking years off her age, meaning that she would only have been about 12 when she had her eldest daughter from a previous marriage!  Unfortunately, she died before the 1939 register, I'd have been interested to see what dob she gave.

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 March 21 16:31 GMT (UK) »
True! I think all other things taken into consideration it's hard to see it can be anyone else...

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 March 21 17:43 GMT (UK) »
A possible candidate for Mary Ann Jackson in 1891.

21 Henzell Street Stockton,
William Telford, 37, Iron Worker Puddler, b. Blackhill,
Mary Ann Telford, wife, 39, b. Wolviston,
John Thos Telford, son 3, b. Stockton,
Jane Ann Telford, dau, 7m, b.Stockton.

Family name is transcribed as Leeford on Ancestry. A person has corrected the family name to Puggmur. William appears to be Puggmur in previous census, and the children appear to change their names back to Puggmur in adulthood.

No suitable Telford births, but there are these Puggmur births on GRO in Stockton, not a very common name.

John Thomas Puggmur, 1888, mothers maiden Keeper, but Jane Hannah Puggmur birth, Dec qtr 1890 has mothers maiden name Jackson.

William Telford and family are still in Stockton in 1901 and 1911, but with a different wife.

There is a death of a Mary Ann Telford in Stockton in 1894 aged 43.

Can see any suitable marriage for William and Mary Ann though.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 March 21 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Ooh, that's interesting - and a great find! 

Henzell Street is in the right area too.  From Beaumont Street, where we believe Mary Ann was in 1871, follow Major Street to the left, to the other side of Norton Road.

There is a burial 30 Sep 1894 at Oxbridge Lane Cemetery, Stockton for Mary Ann Telford aged 43.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I’ve had the three birth certificates come through. All fits with family we thought including Neil Ferguson b1872... I’ll attach his bc here

I checked 1871 census using the address to try and locate family but no luck

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 16:05 GMT (UK) »
It may well be a different family, but there is a newspaper article in the Shields Daily Gazette 11 May 1869 about an Ann Kearney of Jarrow charged with inciting her son Daniel Duffy to leave the training ship Wellesley.

In the 1871 census there is a Donel Duffy aged 14 on the Wellesley, born Newcastle.

Another article in the Newcastle Journal 18 Mar 1869 reports that Daniel Duffy 13, John Duffy 12 and Michael Duffy 11 were found begging in Pilgrim Street and sent to the Wellesley.

In 1871 as well as 'Donel' there is a John Duffy aged 14 born Scotland on the Wellesley, and a Michael Duffy aged 14 born Grimsby
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 09:54 BST (UK) »
I've tracked down the birth certificates of the Puggmur children that were mentioned on this thread some time ago. It does look like the missing Mary Ann Jackson was the mother of the two children. The 1888 birth certificate shows Mary Ann Jackson living in the same street were she lived with Daniel Jackson on the 1881 census. It also appears that Mary Ann and William Puggmur were not married when she gave birth to John Thomas in 1888. I am unable to find a marriage record to William Puggmur / Telford. I've requested the 1894 death certificate for Mary Ann Telford as this seems the most viable option.

Feel like I am on the way to cracking this one!

Many thanks once again

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 09:55 BST (UK) »
It may well be a different family, but there is a newspaper article in the Shields Daily Gazette 11 May 1869 about an Ann Kearney of Jarrow charged with inciting her son Daniel Duffy to leave the training ship Wellesley.

In the 1871 census there is a Donel Duffy aged 14 on the Wellesley, born Newcastle.

Another article in the Newcastle Journal 18 Mar 1869 reports that Daniel Duffy 13, John Duffy 12 and Michael Duffy 11 were found begging in Pilgrim Street and sent to the Wellesley.

In 1871 as well as 'Donel' there is a John Duffy aged 14 born Scotland on the Wellesley, and a Michael Duffy aged 14 born Grimsby

It definitely looks like this is the right family!

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 09:56 BST (UK) »
John Thomas Puggmur birth certificate