Author Topic: All Things DOWNING/DOWNEY in County Derry  (Read 6407 times)

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: All Things DOWNING/DOWNEY in County Derry
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Part 8

I’ve actually taken the time to decipher almost all of the pertinent DOWNING deeds of County Derry, from 1708 – 1825 and put together an eBook.  My intention was to distribute the eBook for free, but Amazon does not allow free publication, so I had to price it at the minimum 99 cents.  I’m not hawking or plugging it, but after you try to read a few of the Deeds from the database, you might find it a little easier to read plain text than the original handwritten script, and I’ve added my own analysis to many of the Deeds, cross referencing some of the relationships.  The INDEX at the end helps you find any of the included Deeds quickly. 
The link to the eBook is:

https://www.amazon.com/DOWNING-DEEDS-DERRY-1708-1825-Transcripts-ebook/dp/B085XM4DMF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=downing+deeds+of+derry%2C+1708-1825&qid=1615734260&sr=8-1

That being said, by the Will, we know that Nicholas left his lands at Drummard to his nephew Adam.  Who did Adam pass those rights to ?  Fortunately, I have a clear copy of the handwritten Will of Adam Downing of Rocktown.  On page 2 he wrote, “I devise unto my son John the lands of Dromard”.

In my eBook, I’ve categorized 15 Deeds regarding John of Rowesgift, arranged chronologically.  The earliest Deed, dated 4 Apr 1734, memorializes the lease granted by William Conolly to John for lands of the “south division of  Killyberry” (present day Townland of Killyberry Downing) “lately poss(ess)ed by Mrs Anne Rowe of Ballydermot”, widow of Rev’d Simon Rowe, John’s mother-in-law.  In naming the parties to the Deed, John is described as “John Downing of Drimard”, even though he had been living at Rowesgift for 7 years.  This also confirms that John was in control of the Drumard lands that were held by Nicholas.

Then, by Deed Vol 228, image 182, dated 31 May 1764 (p. 41 of the eBook), we see that John, his wife, and his heir, Rev’d. Alexander Clotworthy Downing, “did grant bargain sell remise release & confirm unto the said Richard Jackson & Adam Williams & to their heirs all that & those the Towns & Lands of Drimard”.

You may notice that these deed descriptions do not include metes and bounds that would specifically describe the exact locations of tracts of land.  They merely refer to the fact that the transfer of what were then leasehold rights, were portions of the named Townland.  However, by another Indenture, I’ve found that Wm. Conolly granted a formal Lease to John Downing of Drimard in 1734 that contained by estimation 545 acres, or what would have been over 55% of the entire Townland.  In the 1764 Deed above, we can see that John “sold” his leasehold of “all that & those the Towns & Lands of Drimard”, indicating that the acreage he inherited from Adam, was transferred in its’ entirety, retaining NO land interests at Drumard.

For a living descendant to “own” real estate on Drumard Road today, and claim he is a 7th generation member of his branch to occupy that site, that obviously means that at least one family member RE-acquired lands on Drumard Road, and knowing that Nicholas once held 55% of Drummard, even without a specific description of his leasehold, it’s a decent bet that the current homeowner is occupying part of the original Nicholas tract.

At this point, tracing the Drumard lands becomes a much more difficult investigation and I am going to cut off this thread right here.  I may pursue that investigation and report my findings in a future topic, but for now, it remains a mystery.  If you, or anyone you know, has any piece of information that could help connect the Dreenan branch to the Drumard branch, please chime in.  Even the smallest, seemingly insignificant, piece of evidence could be a breakthrough to solving a long-standing mystery.

The  END

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Dukewm, thank you for taking the time to type all that out - it's a phenomenally well-researched piece of work!

Your mention of Elinor marrying into the McNally family was a new one to me - and something of a lightbulb moment! Given the clear presence of a 'Stafford' McNally branch in and around Dreenan, it would seem highly likely that Elinor would be the source, assuming her reported marriage is correct.

The name James Maddigan was ringing bells for me, I knew I'd seen it somewhere before in records I've reviewed for my own research. I think I found it in the form 'James Madden' (the two versions of the surname seemingly being interchangeable). A James Madden was one of the witnesses to the 1865 wedding of Thomas Downing, son of Mary and Robert Downing, and Mary O'Neill son of John O'Neill the Flaxbuyer, the other witness being Patrick Convery.

Now given that the name James Maddigan first appeared on the lease renewal of 1796, he may be too old to be the same one who witnessed the above wedding, but perhaps it could be a relative?

Earlier to that, there was a Nicholas McKenna baptised in 1838, son of a Patrick McKenna and a Rose Maddigan. The sponsors were a Stafford McNally and a Susan O'Neill. If Stafford McNally is old enough to sponsor a baptism in 1838, and knowing that Elinor was unmarried at least prior to 1812, as per your own research, then I would posit that he could very likely be a son of Elinor. Either way, more clear evidence of close links between the Maddigan family and the various 'Stafford' families of Dreenan.

The name Forrester is also very interesting to me based on my recent research trying to work out the O'Neills land interests in Dreenan. The initial Griffiths valuations show 5 acres of land being rented by a Mary Anne Downing, possibly the wife of a William Downing. The lessor was a Catherine Forrester. There is a house on the land being sub-let to a Neal McTammeny (another surname very clearly linked with the Stafford offshoot family in the records).

Mary Anne Downing passed in 1897 at the age of 100(!) and the land passed to the Riddle family. There is an 1892 marriage between a George Riddle of Drummuck and an Ellen Downing of Dreenan, daughter of John (witnesses Robert Riddle and Martha Downing). There is also an 1898 marriage between a Robert Riddle and a Charlotte Downing, also of Dreenan, also daughter of a John. Both George and Robert are listed as sons of a George Riddle, so may well be brothers.

This land is 'Land-Act' purchased by a George Riddle from Robert W Forrester in 1909. There is also a Norris family who moves into part of the land in 1896, but the record isn't 100% clear to me.

By 1912 the land appears to be sold by George Riddle to the Magherafelt R.D. Council and split up into parcels, mostly regular lots of 1 acre, 4 perches with a house. Interestingly two of the people who take over some of these plots in 1912 are a James O'Neill and a John Poole (obviously both surnames of interest). There is also a Rankin whose plot is taken over by a Patrick Toughill by 1920.

The Norris portion of the land (which isn't part of the above sale to M.R.D.C.) is taken over by a Stafford Downing by 1918, who is in turn replaced by Charles Downing in 1929. The land is then purchased from the Bellaghy Estate owners that same year.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I've just found a death record for a James Maddigan of Dreenan, died December 1874 at the age of 84 (rough birth year 1790). He might be a good candidate for the same James Maddigan found in the lease.

The record lists him as married, so he predeceased a wife, and the informant is a Patrick Maddigan, no relation given.

Offline humph19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Article in the April 10, 1830 edition of the Londonderry Sentinel:

Wednesday, April 7

William Downing, for the manslaughter of Stafford Downing, Six months to hard labour.

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 18:54 GMT (UK) »
In response to M. O'Neill's Replies Nos. 19 & 20

The only source I have for Elinor marrying into the McNally family is the personal notes taken by Stafford Poole in 1979, which his niece forwarded to me.

Yes, I think you are probably right about James Maddigan.  If his birth year was 1790, it's highly possible he could have been inserted into the Stafford Downing Lease in 1796 by the (still then) Lessee, John Downing of Dreenan.

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 March 21 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Article in the April 10, 1830 edition of the Londonderry Sentinel:

Wednesday, April 7

William Downing, for the manslaughter of Stafford Downing, Six months to hard labour.

Wonder which 'William' and 'Stafford' THEY were ?  And how they were probably related ? 
Too late for my 4th great grandfather.

I take it that's you, Jim ?

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 March 21 13:40 GMT (UK) »
William Downing, son of George Downing of Dreenan & Elizabeth, bp 2 Dec 1792
Stafford Downing, son of George Downing of Dreenan & Elizabeth, bp 6 Sep 1794

Could he have "accidently" killed his own brother ?

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 March 21 14:23 GMT (UK) »
CHAPTER 4:  Tracing Drummard, The Follow Up

Before I get into the specific details of the exercise of tracking the “ownership” of the Drumard lands, first allow me to expound a little on how land rights were handled from the early 17th century.  The reason all the land “transactions” conducted at that time were referred to as “leases” is that  the British government had confiscated the lands of the native Irish in Northern Ireland around 1610 in an effort to control that strategic island in defense of England and prevent it’s use as a military base against attack, explained in great detail by Robert Stedall’s book, Men of Substance.  Within a few years they had organized their plan and subdivided Ulster into twelve relatively equitable segments, assigned to the London Livery Companies.  The area from which our Downing ancestors were concentrated was “owned” and managed by the Vintner’s Proportion, with its center located at Vintnerstown, now known as Bellaghy.  The Livery Companies then appointed a “Chief Tenant” to manage their lands by leasing them back to English settlers and Irish farmers.  Typically, large tracts would be leased to the English settlers, who they hoped would populate the province, eventually convert Northern Ireland into a more anglicized society, and the English settlers could then sublet smaller portions to the native Irish, who were not excluded from larger tracts if they had the means to execute the agreements.  That’s just a generalization, with the purpose being to show that land was not “sold” as we customarily think about it today, until much later.

Before 1870, only about 3% of the land in Ireland was privately “owned” by “freeholders” and 97% was leaseholds.  Between 1870 and 1923 there were a series of parliamentary Acts that were designed to transfer land rights from tenancy to land ownership, so that by 1929 that ratio had reversed and about 97% of the land was then freehold, and “sold” in the way we think of real estate transfers today.

Clotworthy Skeffington, 3rd Viscount Massereene, under whom Capt. Adam Downing served during the Siege of Derry and the Battle of the Boyne, officially took over as Chief Tenant in 1695, when his father, Sir John Skeffington died.  When Clotworthy died in 1714, William Conolly, Speaker of the Irish House of Commons (1715-1729), became Chief Tenant.

(an excerpt from Stedall’s book):  “In 1729, he tried to negotiate the purchase of the estate for 6,000 BPS and a continuing rent of 200 BPS with 2 fat bucks, but he died before these terms could be agreed. . . Conolly’s nephew, also William (William James Conolly, or William Jr.), was obliged to increase the offer to 15,000 BPS.  Although an agreement was signed, completion was delayed until 1737, at which time, Thomas Conolly, William Jr.’s son, obtained the proportion in perpetuity, and the Vintners and their associates ceased to be involved.” 
After 1737, and for quite some time, Thomas Conolly continued to assign leases and along the way, many Lessees were “selling” their property rights.

As for tracking the Drumard lands, there could be two ways to approach this problem.  We could try to trace the ownership of the descendant’s specific real estate in the traditional manner, by consulting a “Recorder of Deeds” and following the path of ownership as far back as possible.  Or we could try to trace the unspecified Drumard lands held by Jackson and Williams as of 1764, by examining their Wills and those of their heirs, searching for transfers in the FamilySearch database, and other sources that may reveal when, and to whom, they transferred those lands.  I have already started that process and can attest that it is not going to be easy.  Perhaps a combination of those efforts will merge at some time, and we can “connect the dots”.  Of course, the present homeowner on Drumard Road doesn’t own 545 acres, so, during the ensuing 254 years, that acreage was subdivided into many smaller tracts, piece by piece.  I’m afraid I don’t have another “lifetime” to fully conclude THAT investigation, so I will terminate the exercise with the knowledge that Nicholas lived somewhere among 545 acres in Drummard, not necessarily on the exact spot occupied by the living descendant, but the living descendant has at LEAST a 55% chance of sitting on part of the original 545 acres, that just happen to be within 800 yards and clear sight of Col. Adam Downing’s “old castle”.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 March 21 16:02 GMT (UK) »
More great stuff as usual, Dukewm!

Re: the manslaughter charge, I was about to post about it being possibly the man born c1795, but I see you beat me to it! This looks to be the same Stafford Downing who died at Dreenan in 1878. He was also the father of the Elizabeth Downing who married into the Kane family.

His will (granted 1879) lists a son George Downing (the only listed son, in fact), possible evidence for the theory that he was himself the son of George, perhaps? The two executors of the will were William Anderson 'of Tubberhead' (Toberhead) and a 'Mr James Downing (Son of Alexander)'. The witnesses were the same William Anderson and a John Harbison of Magherafelt.