Author Topic: Help please with Baptism in Giggleswick about 1735  (Read 609 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with Baptism in Giggleswick about 1735
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I found the following baptisms Clapham father Robert, mother not noted on family search.

John 1758, William 1760, Agnes 1763, Ann 1766, Mary 1769, Christopher 1771, Margaret June 1775 & Feb 1776, Robert Feb 1778, Richard Aug 1778, Betty 1780.

Another Robert Titterington married there 1 Apr 1775 to Mary Thistlewhaite

Iím guessing your Robert was born around 1733 father John

John TITTERINGTON of Clapham to Agnes FOSTER of Tatham
   Marriage   18 Jan 1728/29   Lancashire   Tatham : St James the Less : Parish Register

That might suggest the parents of Agnes would be William & Agnes, unless they modified the normal naming pattern then it might be Ann.

However no marriage of a William to Agnes in England as far as I can see but there are a number to Ann in Yorkshire and elsewhere but still no births of an Agnes in England. Perhaps the record did not survive?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with Baptism in Giggleswick about 1735
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you both, Arthur and Colin for your kind replies.

Yes, the North Craven Heritage Site contains a vast amount of data; it will take me a while to go through and see if there is anything relating to the surname Hardy.

Yes, my Robert was the one born about 1733. Robert and Agnes had many children, but the first few are named:
John, William, Agnes, Ann, Mary and Christopher.
I can find relatives of Robert's with all these names, with the exception of William, Agnes and Mary (Agnes could well have been named after Agnes herself).
So, my gut reaction, is that Agnes's father might have been William, and her mother might been Mary, but obviously, I have nothing to substantiate that.

So, I'm still looking and hoping that something will come up, as I feel that Agnes was born not too far away from Clapham.

Thank you so much, both of you for your kind help,
Kit