Author Topic: Help please with Baptism in Giggleswick about 1735  (Read 1134 times)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please with Baptism in Giggleswick about 1735
« on: Monday 08 March 21 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Please can anyone help?

I know that Agnes Hardy married Robert Titterington in Clapham, Yorkshire in 1757, and according to her Burial record, she was born about 1735.

As far as I can see, Hardy is not a name that features commonly in Clapham, but I have noticed that there are Hardy events in Giggleswick, so I wonder if she was born there.
So, please, can anyone have a look at the Parish Register to see if this is the case? I'd be very grateful for any help,

Many thanks,
Kit

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with Baptism in Giggleswick about 1735
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find an Agnes Hardy born in England but there are two born in Scotland?

HARDY   AGNES   DAVID HARDY/ISABEL GRAY FR643 (FR643)   F   18/05/1735   Liberton
Above married there in 1760

I know this is a bit of a leap but as Agnes had two daughters named Margaret (Maybe the first died) the name seems important?

HARDY   AGNES   ANDREW HARDY/MARGART ROBERTSON    F   24/04/1737   Garvald, East Lothian

Abode Snawden Notes on freereg: Father deceased. Wit Thomas HARDY he taking on him the bows and engadgments for his deceased brother & Robert ROBERTSON and Robert HENDERSON.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much indeed for that Colin.

I'm a little concerned that your Scottish Agneses are so far from Clapham - as you know, in those days, most people tended to stay in their own or adjascent parishes, so at the moment, I'm putting them in the "possibles tray"!
I really think that "my" Agnes was probably born nearer to Clapham, but then, I'm not ruling anything out!

Thanks again for your help,
Kit

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I think in certain circumstances there was a lot more movement in that time.

I had an ancestor born in Coventry in 1780, he was in the army, posted to East Lothian, left the army whilst there married an Agnes, had 4 children there, left one behind before moving back to Coventry with his wife and 3 of his children then had more in Coventry. Through my research I traced an ancestor from the one that remained in Scotland, still living in the same area today.

Andrew Hady & Margaret Robertson had 4 other children in the same place from 1725. After Andrew died maybe your Agnes went to live relatives?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 15:23 GMT (UK) »
The baptisms I mentioned at Garvald Parish Church  happen to be at freereg.

William HARDY   Baptism   10 Jan 1725   East Lothian   Wit: William BURNSYD

Adam HARDY   Baptism   30 Jul 1727   East Lothian   wit: William HAY and Thomas HARDY.

Andrew HARDY   Baptism   06 Sep 1730   East Lothian   wit: Thomas HARDY and James HAY.

Shuzan HARDY   Baptism   07 Jul 1734   East Lothian   wit: William SANDERSON and Thomas HARDY

Agnes HARDY   Baptism   24 Apr 1737   East Lothian   

Colin

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I have just found this marriage, I wonder if this is the eldest brother of Agnes.

Marriage   29 Jan 1745   Yorkshire, West Riding   Thornton in Lonsdale : St Oswald
Jane MARSHAL to William HARDY both of the pariah of Clapham, abode for both Sunny Bank

The only other records I could find are below. There may be more on Ancestry?

Isabell HARDIE   Baptism   18 Jun 1749   Yorkshire, West Riding   Giggleswick : St Alkelda

Isabel HARDY   Baptism   19 May 1757   Yorkshire, West Riding   Giggleswick : St Alkelda

Father William abode Settle on both.

William HARDY   Burial   28 Sep 1758   Yorkshire, West Riding   Giggleswick
Son of William of Settle

Colin

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Thank you very much for your last posts, especially the detail re the Giggleswick Baptisms. That's why I wondered if Agnes was born in Giggleswick.

I absolutely take on board what you are saying about moving about in those days.

Now, I've been researching and pondering the William Hardy + Jane Marshal marriage for a few weeks now - like you I was wondering if he might be Agnes' older brother.
I've seen their MC and their Marriage Bond - the latter states that William Hardy was 26, therefore born about 1718, and Jane Marshal was aged 21 and a Spinster BUT THAT BOTH WERE FROM SUNNY BANK IN THE PARISH OF BENTHAM, NOT CLAPHAM!
Also, is this William:
Ingleton Burials
Isabel d  of William Hardy buried 6/12/1762
William Hardy Housholder buried 7/2/1763
Elizabeth Hardy widow buried 1/2/1768

Also, the William Hardy Housholder buried 7/2/1763 Ingleton left a Will - in it, he mentions wife Elizabeth (Executrix), eldest son Edward, sons Thomas, John, Joseph + William and daughter Elizabeth Cumming

So I'm still pondering about this one!

But thanks very much for your help,
Kit

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 11:19 GMT (UK) »
For Giggleswick and other places in that area, have you seen the North Craven Heritage Trust - http://www.northcravenheritage.org.uk/EVENTS/F/NCHT/home.html

There's a vast amount of information there, including document transcriptions and indexes etc. Look particularly at the items under "archives" in the top menu.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit,
I think you are correct, I found the following on the brothers of Agnes born East Lothian

WILLIAM HARDIE   married   ELISABETH PORTEOUS   22/05/1752   Whittingehame

Son ANDREW born there 1753 & WILLIAM born 1755 Garvald

ADAM HARDY   Married    ALASON WALKER   01/06/1760   Haddington

Daughter BEATRIX born there 1769

Other brother Andrew probably married elsewhere in Scotland too may choices . No clear trace of Shuzan.

Colin
Separate post to follow.