Author Topic: John Andrews - Royal Warwickshire Reg  (Read 785 times)

Offline merthyrastley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Andrews - Royal Warwickshire Reg
« on: Monday 08 March 21 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello. Looking for any information on my great uncle who died in World War II. He was buried first in Stevensbeek then Overloon and know he was died after Overloon was liberated. I have found his grave but dont have any information on anything previously or history. Many thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Andrews - Royal Warwickshire Reg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 21 22:31 GMT (UK) »
WW2 service records are still with the MoD

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy/military-service-records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 21 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi merthyrastley,

Here is a link to his entry on the CWGC website: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2081260/JOHN%20ANDREWS/

It shows him to be Private John Andrews of the 2nd Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Service No: 3959646. Died 8th November 1944, aged 24 years. Son of David & Lydia Andrews of Hirwaun, Glamorgan. Buried at Overloon War Cemetery in the Netherlands.

WW2 Service records are currently held by the MOD. They can be obtained for a cost of £30, this link should help: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Marriages Jun 1908 
ANDREWS    David        Merthyr T.    11a   1376

DREW    Lydia

ANDREWS, JOHN       DREW 
GRO Reference: 1920  M Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL  Volume 11A  Page 2043

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 May 21 21:49 BST (UK) »
The CWGC site says that he was initially buried at St Anthonis in the Netherlands and his grave was 'concentrated' into Overloon Cemetery.  It also shows he died in an accident and that is confirmed by the Casualty List.  It doesn't mention Stevensbeek so not sure where that comes from.

I would check the War Diary for 1944 for 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment to see if the accident is mentioned there.  You can now go to Kew to see and copy it or get a researcher to copy the War Diary for you.  They normally charge 10p a page but only copy the whole War Diary so £20-£30 typically.  That is 10% of what The National Archives charges.

Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline merthyrastley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 May 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information and taking the time to look it up for me. Will do a bit of research at Kew.

Offline annyhuberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello merthyrastley,

We found your post searching for John Andrews. I am a volunteer and member of the non-profit Foundation Overloon War Chronicles. https://www.overloonwarchronicles.nl
Your relative is buried at our war cemetery, grave number III.D.10. On this page on our website you can see the overview of the cemetery and when clicking on the image you can see the whole list with soldiers who left their lives around Overloon and are buried here. https://www.overloonwarchronicles.nl/overzicht-graven/

I am researcher and web publisher of the foundation. The foundation started a few years ago and the website is published only in October last year. With a group we try to find relatives of "our" soldiers in order to find photographs and background information about their lives and their families.
We have managed to find about 120 photographs of soldiers already and more and more background stories of their lives.

Only a few weeks ago I published the biography page of John, although without any photograph of him and no story yet. https://www.overloonwarchronicles.nl/biografie-john-andrews/

We have pretty much information about the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 2nd btn and what happened with them around Overloon. I am also in contact with other relatives of soldiers from the same regiment as well as some dedicated Facebook groups.

It would be so great to be in touch with you to see if we can share information, photographs and background information of John.

I hope to hear from you, best regards, Anny