Author Topic: Finding James Magee - Toxteth Park  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Dmccorma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding James Magee - Toxteth Park
« on: Tuesday 09 March 21 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, my great great great grandfather, James Magee, was a convict transported to Van Diemans Land in 1830. We have been unable to trace his ancestry before his transportation. The information provided with his convict records includes. He was 14 years old, a stonemason, “late of Toxteth Park”.
His convictions include; one month hard labour in Yorkshire West Riding; in 1827 he was convicted in West Derby for stealing sugar and a brass pan; in 1829 he stole two gowns and a shawl from Mrs Threefall.
We have found a James Magee baptised in St Nicholas Liverpool, England, on the 18th of September 1816. Listing his Father Isaac, and Mother Mary, whose maiden name was possibly Heppell from the Yorkshire area. There are a couple of other possibilities as well.
We are seeking some assistance to identify if this is our James. What is the best way to do this? Should I look at future census records to find a James Magee with the same birthday, thus confirming that it wouldn’t be our James? Is there a better way?

Thank you, Dane

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding James Magee - Toxteth Park
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 12:50 GMT (UK) »
All the criminal records seem to have his name as MacGee ?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dmccorma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Is this him ? https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/152980079/person/132033904085/facts

https://immigrationplace.com.au/story/james-mcgeemagee/

if so the "Dedman" middle name is an interesting possible clue

Thank you so much Shaun, I'll check out if he is our James. I posted the story on immigration place. The surname changes, its now McGee, theres also McGhie. We're exploring Dedman. He added that after he was pardoned. We found a policeman with the surname Dedman where James lived in Tasmania. There are also rumours he was raised by an Aunt whose surname could have been Dedman