Author Topic: 20th Century Jewish brick wall  (Read 10064 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: 20th Century Jewish brick wall
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 03 April 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
That is awesome, JeremyS!

I bet you'll be able to learn even more about your Moss family origins and I hope you keep us updated in this thread!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 03 April 21 23:21 BST (UK) »
Other clues are the associations he leaves money to;
- the Western Synagogue, Alfred Place, Tott Court Rd London
- the Jewish Board of Guardians, 127 Middlesex St London
- the Jewish home for Incurables
- the Home for Aged Jews in Wandsworth Common
- Charing X hospital
- a jockey & trainers home & hospital in Newmarket

I was wondering if the Jewish Board of Guardians might have had some involvement in Harry Moss' life. I had a bit of a look at the syngogue, seems it got bombed in the Blitz so not sure if they still have records...

Thanks for the update. Good to know you’re making excellent progress.

General information on the Western Synagogue (now the Western Marble Arch Synagogue) is here ...
https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/London/western/index.htm
(follow the links for more information)

Some records for the Western Synagogue are in the care of London Metropolitan Archives (LMA), and most of them need written permission to access. This research guide is useful, with addresses of where to apply ...
https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/RESEARCH_GUIDES/web_detail_rg/SISN+44?SESSIONSEARCH
(link now corrected, sorry)

Also at LMA are the records for the Westminster Jews’ Free School (allied to the Western Synagogue), and for the Jews’ Free School (JFS) which was in Spitalfields. JFS records are indexed online at JewishGen, in the All UK Database.
https://www.jewishgen.org/databases/UK/
(You will need to create a log-in if you don’t already have one, but it’s free to access.)

Jewish children also attended the local London Board Schools, and many of those records are on Ancestry.

Charitable bequests to the Jewish Board of Guardians are fairly standard in wills, and there may be no particular family connection. Those records are held in the Jewish Care archive at the University of Southampton, in their Special Collections. Not easy to research.
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/archives/cataloguedatabases/webguidemss284.page

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 04 April 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
The son Phillip was indeed given a bit of a cruel inheritance, he had to collect it weekly in London but was living in America or Canada at the time, it seems he came back & died in Margate area!

It looks like collecting his inheritance wasn't so onerous for Philip after all.

The Weekly Dispatch (London, England)
Sun., Sept. 27, 1925

“ROVER AND HIS LEGACY.
“NEED NOT CALL FOR HIS MONEY.

“‘It is a practical certainty that the clause will never be enforced. My brother will not have to call for his legacy week by week at the office of our solicitors – that is, unless he chooses to.’

“These were the words of Mr. Stuart Moss Vernon, discussing in a special interview yesterday the strange clause in his father’s will under which his brother, Mr. Philip Zachariah Moss Vernon, was left ₤40 per week, provided that he called for it personally at the office of the family solicitors.

“‘The question was left entirely to the discretion of the trustees, of whom I am one, and we have no intention of asking my brother to call for his money,’ Mr. Moss Vernon went on.

“‘It was in no way a caprice that led my father to make the stipulation in his will [sic] My brother Philip has always been a great roved [sic]; in fact, he has been abroad most of the time since my father died – and the provision that he should call for the money weekly was to guard against its going astray in the event of an accident to him.’

“Mr. Isaac Moss Vernon died in Switzerland ast [sic] January, and left an estate of ₤104,421, with ₤76,999 net personalty.”
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters