Author Topic: 20th Century Jewish brick wall  (Read 10059 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 20th Century Jewish brick wall
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Another potential source of information is funeral home records.

Not usual for Jewish burials. Burial is conventionally within 24 hours of death.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Another potential source of information is funeral home records.

Not usual for Jewish burials. Burial is conventionally within 24 hours of death.

They use funeral homes here in Canada. There are also Jewish burial societies.

Edited to add: I'm not Jewish but I've been to a number of Jewish funerals and all but one were held in the chapel of a Jewish funeral home (the other one was just a graveside service, done through a Jewish burial society).

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I looked in my books that I have for Jewish bmd   but they are  mostly earlier nothing jumped out
I tried electrol rolls for vera and only  herself and Patrick were on from 1956 to 1963
Rachel married a  arthur  stubbings and the n  when he died in 1983 she married a Stanley Owen  but haven't searched her yet
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I looked in my books that I have for Jewish bmd   but they are  mostly earlier nothing jumped out
I tried electrol rolls for vera and only  herself and Patrick were on from 1956 to 1963
Rachel married a  arthur  stubbings and the n  when he died in 1983 she married a Stanley Owen  but haven't searched her yet

Thanks, yes I know most of these later details about Rachel, she was my grandmother but I barely knew her sadly.

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Vera d 1996 and Patrick 1976 they were both buried in a  camberwell cemetery  southwark

Thanks a lot, that's very interesting. Can't find anything on their children except for one born Oct 1953 in Romford, but then not much on him after that either.

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 17:34 GMT (UK) »
As for Harry's death & burial, that is amazing information. I live in NE London so I'm tempted to go down to East Ham cemetery myself, also to pay some respects. Beyond what is written on the gravestone, would they hold any info in their records...?

It's probably best to contact them before you visit, because they can tell you if they still hold the relevant burial register and, if not, where it is currently held, and also what info it might contain. Plus, the grave itself might not be easy to find, so you'd want directions.

Another potential source of information is funeral home records. And, as suggested earlier by another poster, synagogue records.

Regards,
Josephine

Good idea, I'll contact them. Thanks a lot. I'm also not sure where Rose Phillips his wife died. I had guessed at this 1956 Q3 5d p218 Poplar death, but really don't know.  From family they believe she died around the 1950s. Though if Harry died whilst (living?) at his daughter's house aged 66, perhaps Rose had already passed away by 1955.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Vera d 1996 and Patrick 1976 they were both buried in a  camberwell cemetery  southwark

Looking at birth registrations, it looks as though the family moved south of the river in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Good idea, I'll contact them. Thanks a lot. I'm also not sure where Rose Phillips his wife died. I had guessed at this 1956 Q3 5d p218 Poplar death, but really don't know.  From family they believe she died around the 1950s. Though if Harry died whilst (living?) at his daughter's house aged 66, perhaps Rose had already passed away by 1955.

You're welcome, JeremyS. If you're lucky, Harry and Rose were buried in the same plot.

Have you searched for obits for them in the online newspapers?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 20:35 GMT (UK) »
jsorry removed  "
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk