Author Topic: Boarder at granddads house  (Read 1049 times)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Boarder at granddads house
« on: Tuesday 09 March 21 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, All

Since I completed most of my family as a subscribed member of Ancestry, I use the library edition of ancestry for the few researches of my own tree and members of Rootschat also since lockdown libraries are closed. Hence can't look up the history of Henry porter and maybe a member of this website would like to pick up the challenge for something to do in lockdown.

I was looking at my mother born 1908 in Duckmanton in Derbyshire and later her family moved to Carr Vale near Bolsover. There was a boarder living with my granddad Herbert (Illiterate [hence Mary filled out the 1911 census form} and Mary Tidmarsh 8, Orchard Row, Carr Vale. Bolsover. on the 1911 census

Henry Porter aged 28, born Spondon (in the GRO registration area of  Shardlow, Derbyshire in th 2nd Qtr June 1883.) a  Drayman for Thomsons or Great central railway.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Boarder at granddads house
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Using GRO online shows his mmn was Eaton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Is there a particular reason for researching him?  Lots of people took in boarders in those days
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Is there a particular reason for researching him?  Lots of people took in boarders in those days

Hi CaroleW

No particular reasons, I've just looked at that 1911 census image a lot of times and often wondered who he was, I agree people took in boarders them days alot also my fathers mother who was widowed early in married life took in boarders to make ends meet who lived in Huddersfield Yorkshire.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 20:12 GMT (UK) »
From FS - nothing else showing

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:ND9F-KY3

Parents appear to have married 1872 per freebmd - Elizabeth was nee Eaton

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know, as a result of the COVID pandemic, Ancestry have made their library edition free to view from home if you log in through your library. Not sure where you are, here in Australia I can access via my Australian National Library Card.  :)