Author Topic: A Wedding photo family Conundrum.  (Read 6068 times)

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Wedding photo family Conundrum.
« on: Tuesday 09 March 21 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I almost dare not post this given the ease with which my last query was solved to my utter embarrassment. I am confident that this is a bit more challenging although I suspect someone may well prove me wrong.

My Avatar photo was taken in the back yard of of a Shakespeare Street, Carlisle terraced house after a wedding that took place in the Summer of 1912. Just look at those hats! The wedding was of Police Constable John James Turnbull and Annie Skinner b 11/10/1885. The groom was my fathers Uncle who inspired my father to join the police service himself. My father, before he died, wrote a note explaining that, seated directly next to the groom was;  Grooms mother Sarah Anne and then next to her was the Grooms father William Turnbull. I think William was born in 1857 and Sarah 1862 but am not certain.

The birth certificate for John James shows he is the son of William Turnbull, a labourer at the Brick works. The mother was Sarah Ann Turnbull (formerly Tiffin). Sarah signed an x and she registered the birth on 1st May 1886. John James was born on 20/3/1886 at Charlotte Terrace, Botcherby, Carlisle. John had an older sister Jane born in 1883.

So the family was William Turnbull b 1857, Sarah Ann Turnbull nee Tiffin b 1862, Jane Turnbull b 1883 and John James Turnbull b 1886

I have John James in every subsequent census including the 1939 but there is a big question mark over the 1891 entry. In 1891 I find William and Sarah Ann Turnbull living together in Caldewgate but without the children listed. Separately, I found a John James Turnbull aged 5 in Caldewgate living at 9 Holme Court which my research shows was actually on Milbourne Street. The transcript shows his birth in Scotland but viewing the actual record it appears to be Botcherby, Carlisle. The only problem is he is with grandparents and their surname is Smith when Sara Ann had the maiden name Tiffin. I can only think of two possible explanation: That there are two identically named 5 year olds in the area or Sarah Ann was a widow aged just 20 when she married William. I favour the former.  I cannot find Jane at all on the 1891 and my hunch is that wherever they were, the children were together.

It gets worse in that I cannot find a marriage for William Turnbull and Sarah Ann Tiffin. I have William and Sarah Ann Turnbull on the 1911 census at 6 Norfolk Street Carlisle and that lists 29 years of marriage suggesting the marriage was circa 1882. The 1911 census also suggests Sarah had 3 children but only one, John James, remained alive in 1911. She had Jane in 1883 which fits nicely with the notion of an 1882 marriage but I cannot find how, when or where Jane died and if she had married. I have an unmarried Jane on the 1901 census with her parents and John James at 4 Randall street, Carlisle.  I have a possible marriage of a Jane Turnbull to Issac Robson in July 1905 in Carlisle but still no obvious death jumps out. I have no idea who the third child was or when it died.

I suspect Sara Ann Tiffin was the one born at Wigton in 1862 and perhaps died at Carlisle in 1st Quarter 1924. William was clearly alive in the wedding photo in summer of 1912 but could be one of several subsequent deaths.

I am willing to start spending on ordering some more certificates but want to avoid ordering the wrong ones if at all possible.  I want to spend wisely and without missing any obvious and easy enquiries that may get me close to solutions first. Plus, if I cannot find the marriage in any index then I simply cannot order the certificate.

The goals I have set myself are:

Find the marriage and obtain the certificate for the marriage of Sarah Ann Tiffin and William Turnbull

Find John James and Jane Turnbull as children on the 1891 census.

Find the death for Jane (clearly between 1901 and 1911) and any marriage if there was one.

Find the name, birth and death of the third child and get certificates if necessary.

Obtain the correct death certificates for William and Sarah Ann Turnbull.

Any help in solving these problems will be very greatly appreciated.  If I cannot solve them then I am interested to learn any theories about why or any advice anyone has in connection with them.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: A Wedding photo family Conundrum.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Fabulous photo!

For a start, as a possibility, sister Jane appears to have been registered as Elizabeth Jane TURNBULL March qtr 1883 at Carlisle (10b/476) with mmn TIPPING. There is also a Margaret TURNBULL registered at Carlisle (10b/519) in Set qtr 1884 mmn TIPPING and a death for 1 year old Margaret TURNBULL at Carlisle Jun qtr 1885 (10b/359).

Will keep looking ...  :)

Modified to add:
There is also a death for a 25 year old Elizabeth Jane TURNBULL at Carlisle Sept qtr 1908 (10b/332) - another possibility.

Also, just checking, you say John Joseph TURNBULL in the wedding, but John James TURNBULL is the birth certificate you have.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Haven't found a marriage for William and Sarah Anne yet, however I think William may be the son of Jane, bap 28 Feb 1858 at Carlisle, birth reg Dec qtr 1857 Carlisle (10b/373).

I have to go out now so can't write all the details, but he can be found on the 1861 with brother John Lowther TURNBULL (also a policeman in later years) and grandparents William and Margaret TURNBULL.

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much maddys52. Really appreciate this help.

I can confirm it is John James NOT John Joseph. I have corrected the original post.

I had discounted the Elizabeth Jane Turnbull and clearly given far too much credence to the 1901 census listing as simply Jane Turnbull. I certainly think it is now worth me ordering, perhaps one at a time, B & D certificates for Elizabeth Jane. If, as you suggest - and I agree, that William's mother was a Jane then 'dad' may have taken to calling his little girl Jane and Elizabeth got dropped in common usage.

Also very interesting is the alternative maiden name for Sarah Ann as Tipping rather than Tiffin. More so that it appears on the index for both Margaret AND Jane. I think you have likely solved my third and fourth objective here maddys52 and in doing so provided some keys to hopefully resolve the other issues in this case. Top work.

So very grateful for your help. I think confirmation bias clouds my thinking when I get a conundrum or brick wall and then I begin not to see or consider properly certain possibilities. For the first time I have some confidence that this puzzle may be solved, at least substantially if not completely.

As an aside, my father was able to identify 10 of those on the photograph but not the children or the cap wearing crouching young men. I am going to see if from census returns I can work out the likely identities of the two children. A tall order perhaps but I know the photo was taken in summer of 1912 and probably largely from just the Skinner and Turnbull families. I am interested to know anyone's estimate of the children's ages and therefore years of birth.

The bride, Annie Skinner also had a brother called David Skinner born in January 1993. My father could not identify him on the photograph as my dad was only born in 1930. Tragically, David died on 1st July 2016 on the first day of the battle of the Somme. When this photograph was taken in 1912, David would have been 19 years old. At that time he was working for a local firm in Carlisle as a lithographer so I would have expected him to have attended his sisters wedding and to be on the photograph. However of the two possible candidates on the photo (the crouching young men in caps) can I ask if anyone thinks one could be 19. I think one looks slightly too old and one slightly too young. I have David's war medals and cap badge as my grandmother (sister of David and of the bride - back row in the straw hat with pig tails) carried them with her all her life.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I have this photograph of David Skinner taken just over 2 years after the wedding photograph. Does anybody think this soldier on my wedding photograph?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I think this is sister (Elizabeth) Jane TURNBULL in 1891 - with grandmother (Elizabeth) Jane TURNBULL at Rickergate:
RG12/4289 pg22

Elizabeth Jane TURNBULL    59     Botcherby  (charwoman)
Arthur                                     22     Botherby  (railway labourer)
Richard WILKINSON (boarder)  45  Denton  (brick labourer)
Elizabeth Jane TURNBULL      8      Carlisle

Modified to add:
Maybe put the photos on the Photo dating board - people there are very good at guessing ages and doing comparisons.  :)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/free-photo-restoration/

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 09:26 GMT (UK) »
If this is the correct family, here are the census details for the TURNBULL's.

1861 at Botcherby
William TURNBULL   66    Brampton   (labourer)
Margaret                    73
James (son)               31
Margaret (dau)           36
Jane (dau)                  29
Mary Jane (gr dau)      8  (I think Dau Margaret's child)
Margaret (gr dau)        6   (I think Dau Margaret's child)
Fanny JOHNSTONE (gr dau)  3
William TURNBULL  (gr son)  3  (Dau Jane's child)
John Lowther    (gr son)  3months   (Dau Jane's child)
Richard TURNBULL  (visitor)   19  Denton
RG9/3917 pg12

1871 at Wetheral
Margaret TURNBULL   83  (shopkeeper, grocer)
Jane    (dau)                 39
William  (gr son)           14
John                               9
Sarah Jane                    5
Arthur                            3
Richard WILKINSON (visitor)   25  Low Hesket
RG10/5215 pg28

1881 at Botchergate
Jane TURNBULL     49    (charwoman)
William                     23
Arthur                       13
RG11/5155 pg 7

I can't see William in 1891? - you say he is in Caldewgate, but I don't seem to be able to find him?

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant maddys52. Thank you.

Yes, William and Sarah Ann are mistranscribed as Taylor not Turnbull in the 1891 census that I found - goodness knows how. Notwithstanding, that the original is feint and poor it is clearly Turnbull not Taylor. Taylors are next door. It is just William and Sarah though, no children. I cannot make out the exact address but Charlotte Terrace (where John James was born) is on the same page.

If you are right about Elizabeth Jane junior in 1891 and if I am right about William and Sarah Ann in 1891 (I think we are probably both right on those issues) that still leaves us with the puzzle of John James in 1891 and the elusive marriage. Thanks for your help here. Really appreciate it.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, I see them now  :D

It is a puzzle - why is John James with the SMITHs? Possibly Janet's 2nd marriage? Possibly related to William's father (as mother Jane remained unmarried, it would be interesting to see who William names as father on his marriage - if you ever find it!) I don't know, a few possibilities. It's my bed time now, will have another look at this interesting family hopefully tomorrow!