Author Topic: McKenzie William and Ann in Lochbroom  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Karen Plant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKenzie William and Ann in Lochbroom
« on: Wednesday 10 March 21 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone else is researching William and Ann Mckenzie?  They were married in 1799 at Dundonnell, Lochbroom with Williams place of residence Strathnasalg and Anns as Annad and her father named as Kenneth.  They had a daughter Isabella born around 1810 who worked on the Dundonnell Estate and met her husband Duncan Beaton(shepherd there).  They married in 1846.  My main problem is finding any other children William and Ann may have had as I am sure Isabella was not their ony one.  I have also hit a brickwall with Duncan Beaton born in Contin and finding any siblings for him?  Hope someone may be able to help.
Thanks
Karen

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzie William and Ann in Lochbroom
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Karen, list of the tenants on Fairburn estate, next to Contin. Worth a look-see in off-chance for Beatons.

https://fairburn-estate.co.uk/?page_id=52

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

Should we assume that Ann's maiden surname was also Mackenzie?

What other information do you have about Duncan and Isabella? Did they die in Scotland? What were the names of their children, in order?

From the indexes at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk I see that Isobel, daughter of William Mackenzie and Anne Mackenzie, was baptised on 4 February 1802 in the parish of Lochbroom.

There are several other baptisms of children with the same parents' names
Kenneth, 1808, parish of Urray
Isabel, 1810, parish of Urray
Ann, 1812, parish of Urray
John, 1816, parish of Urray
Roderick, 1833, parish of Gairloch
Anne, 1834, parish of Gairloch

However there are nine marriages of William M(a)ckenzies and Ann(e) M(a)ckenzies between 1784 and 1846, so these are almost certainly not the same couple.

From a transcription, there's a family in Contin in the 1851 census consisting of Duncan Beaton, 60, herd; wife Isabella, 50; and brother Donald, 90, pauper formerly labourer. Are these your Donald and Isabella?

In 1881, in Contin, are Rebecca McDonald, 65, shepherd's widow; sister Isabella Beaton, 80, shepherd's wife; and Duncan Beaton, brother-in-law, 83, formerly shepherd. Are they yours?

Isabella Mackenzie or Beaton, mother's maiden surname Mackenzie, died in Stranraer in 1888 aged 85. You can download a copy of her death certificate at modest cost from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Karen Plant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 March 21 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh will have a look in the weekend.

Offline Karen Plant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 March 21 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying.  Yes,  Anns maiden name was McKenzie. 
I have been able to find Duncan Beaton in every census until his death in 1876 at Munlochy, Knockbain and he always says he was born in Contin. His death certificate says his parents are John Beaton and Christian McRae.   He first married Catherine Cameron in 1826 at Contin and they had a daughter Christian/Christy.  Catherine must have died between then and 1841 as I find Duncan and Christian in Lochbroom with four other women but have been unable to tie in any of these women with either the Beaton or McKenzie name..  Duncan then married Isabella McKenzie at Lochbroom and they had a daughter called Catherine.  In 1851 they are living in Fisherfield, Lochbroom and living next door to them is an Ann Mckenzie and a granddaughter but this Ann seems too old to be Isabellas mother and again I haven't been able to prove without doubt the grandaughters parents.  In 1861  they are living on or thereabouts the Isle of Ewe with the widowed Christian (she was married to Alex Mcleod from Gairloch) and her two children Catherine and Roderick. Christian died in 1875.  By 1871 Duncan and Isabella were in Knockbain.  After Duncan died Isabella went to Glasgow where their daughter Catherine had married James Shaw from Stranraer.  Catherine and James moved back to Stranraer and Isabella died there in 1888.  It has been very interesting tracing the family but would like to find some siblings  for either Duncan or Isabella and add to the story!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 March 21 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.

Ann McKenzie, age given as 97 in 1851, so if accurate born in 1754/1755. If she was previously married and widowed, and married William McKenzie as a 40-something widow, she just might have been able to have Ann in 1802. But if she wasn't actually quite as old as that, it's not impossible. It would certainly account for an absence of siblings.

Alexandrina McLeod, 31-year-old granddaughter. There's a 40-year-old unmarried Alexandrina McLeod in the 1861 census, in the household of her brother Alexander McLeod, 37, at Strathsealg.

In 1871, the family are in Raasay or Glenelg (the FindMyPast transcription is unclear) and she is listed as sister Lexy, 56.

In 1881, Alexandrina Macleod, 58, is keeping house for her nephew Kenneth at Raraig, Lochcarron.

She died in Lochcarron in 1884, parents' names given as Murdoch McLeod and Mary McLennan.

Speculation. Murdoch McLeod and unnamed McLennan were married in Lochbroom in 1815. Unfortunately the Lochbroom baptisms don't give the mother's name, but there is a family at Polbain, Lochbroom that includes Lexy, 15 and Alexander, 11, who might be them. There is no Mary so if this was Mary McLennan's family she must have died before 1841. Murdoch was said to be 60 in 1841, so born 1776/1781. He died in 1856, and his parents are given as Donald McLeod and Annie McLeod. But what if Annie's surname was a mistake for McKenzie? Or could Mary McLennan have been a daughter of Ann McKenzie by a first marriage? Unfortunately I don't think the records to explore this further have survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 March 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Karen, Dr John Mackenzie, brother to Gairloch, although also a factor to various estates, took up farming himself. First at Kinellan, Contin and then persuaded his brother to let him have the Isle of Ewe where he had a model farm built with cottages for a shepherd, a ploughman & several for east coast fisherman. This would be the house your folk lived in.
 A great book on the doctor & life at Gairloch & Conon House and his struggle to modernise farming practices without the wholesale evictions evictions on other Mackenzie estates is "Pigeon Holes of Memory!" the Life & Times of Dr John Mackenzie (1803-1886). Christina Byam Shaw, Pub' by Constable. &
£20, i picked up my copy for £10 online!

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Karen Plant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.

Ann McKenzie, age given as 97 in 1851, so if accurate born in 1754/1755. If she was previously married and widowed, and married William McKenzie as a 40-something widow, she just might have been able to have Ann in 1802. But if she wasn't actually quite as old as that, it's not impossible. It would certainly account for an absence of siblings.

Alexandrina McLeod, 31-year-old granddaughter. There's a 40-year-old unmarried Alexandrina McLeod in the 1861 census, in the household of her brother Alexander McLeod, 37, at Strathsealg.

In 1871, the family are in Raasay or Glenelg (the FindMyPast transcription is unclear) and she is listed as sister Lexy, 56.

In 1881, Alexandrina Macleod, 58, is keeping house for her nephew Kenneth at Raraig, Lochcarron.

She died in Lochcarron in 1884, parents' names given as Murdoch McLeod and Mary McLennan.

Speculation. Murdoch McLeod and unnamed McLennan were married in Lochbroom in 1815. Unfortunately the Lochbroom baptisms don't give the mother's name, but there is a family at Polbain, Lochbroom that includes Lexy, 15 and Alexander, 11, who might be them. There is no Mary so if this was Mary McLennan's family she must have died before 1841. Murdoch was said to be 60 in 1841, so born 1776/1781. He died in 1856, and his parents are given as Donald McLeod and Annie McLeod. But what if Annie's surname was a mistake for McKenzie? Or could Mary McLennan have been a daughter of Ann McKenzie by a first marriage? Unfortunately I don't think the records to explore this further have survived.
[/quote
Thanks so much for showing an interest! Yes I have explored the whole Alexanderina McLeod granddaughter aspect and your thoughts are interesting. In the 1841 census there is a Ann McKenzie Fisherfield Lochbroom with Katherine Mclennan who I thought may have been another granddaughter.  After Covid(?) I may hire a researcher in Scotland as I just come to a complete standstill with this family.  I live in NZ and who knows when we will be able to travel freely again!

Offline Karen Plant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Karen, Dr John Mackenzie, brother to Gairloch, although also a factor to various estates, took up farming himself. First at Kinellan, Contin and then persuaded his brother to let him have the Isle of Ewe where he had a model farm built with cottages for a shepherd, a ploughman & several for east coast fisherman. This would be the house your folk lived in.
 A great book on the doctor & life at Gairloch & Conon House and his struggle to modernise farming practices without the wholesale evictions evictions on other Mackenzie estates is "Pigeon Holes of Memory!" the Life & Times of Dr John Mackenzie (1803-1886). Christina Byam Shaw, Pub' by Constable. &
£20, i picked up my copy for £10 online!
That sounds really a interesting read - thanks for that.

Bests,
Skoosh.