Author Topic: Twins born NSW 1796  (Read 1772 times)

Offline JLS7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Twins born NSW 1796
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 March 21 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
According to Phillis' death certificate (00886/1866) Her fathers name was given as Summerfield (sic) occupation Carpenter. Twice married in Sydney, first spouse unknown, 2nd Laurence Henry Halloran.
James Darcey who she married in 1812 was a Mariner of the ship Gov Macquarie. No idea what happened to him.
Could not find Phillis on 1828 census under Darcey/Halloran. Elizabeth on 1828 census under Elizabeth McGrath.

JLS7

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 March 21 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Alas, a quick report from my rellies …. NOT yet found the twin girls but they have checked and there’s probably another baby’s baptism missing too ….

City of Sydney has recently updated their Old Sydney Burial Ground excel spreadsheet …

So,  Just popping some information, likely Lady Di already has this, but sharing here

https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/history/old-sydney-burial-ground

Old Sydney Burial Ground:
8 July 1802 burial  Ann SUMMERVELL  RST : Free RM
10 Feb 1795 burial William George SUMMERVILLE  infant, RST : RM
11 May 1799 burial  Jane SUMMERVILLE, infant, RST :  RM

RM: Thomas D. Mutch Index, Mitchell Library CY377 – 378. Card index of birth, marriage, and death entries compiled from parish registers. Though it covers later time periods, it is most effective for the pre-1830 time frame.

RST: St Phillips Church parish Register
Vol 2 has C/E burials 1787 to 1831
Vol 4 has chronological baptisms, burials & marriages 1787 to 1809 for St Phillips Sydney.
Vol 5 has baptisms, burials & marriages 1809 to 1811 for St Phillips Sydney.
Vol 7 has baptisms, burials & marriages 1812 to 1818 for St Phillips Sydney.
Vol 8 has baptisms, burials & marriages 1819 to 1825 for St Phillips Sydney.

Noting the City of Sydney Archives have many collections from first settlement through the penal era, to the pre-gold rush era, right through the 19th century and the 20th century too...  :) https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/history-archive-collections/archives

Does not seem to have been inquests for those three deaths.  https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/coroners-inquests-index

I add … A particular CD is no longer working for me, so I cannot do some of the searches I used to do, sorry, I guess I will have to make do with online efforts.

Ann SUMMERVILLE burial, Vol 2A, line 1665, 1802 and  Vol 4, line 1122, 1802
William G SOMMERVILLE burial Vol.2A. line 1148, 1795 & Vol 4, line 700, 1795
Jane SUMMERVILLE burial Vol 4, line 931, 1799.  (not found an entry in Vol 2 index)

So, perhaps we need to be looking for Jane’s baptism too?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 March 21 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful research JM - amazing how much easier it all is these days. 40 years ago it would take us weeks and weeks to find half that info.

You're right - Jane's birth/baptism is also missing but, sadly, because she died as an infant, no one seems to have looked for her birthdate. Hundreds of trees simply say she was born abt 1798.

Please pass on my appreciation to your rellies. It's always a blessing when another (or 2) sets of eyes can check or confirm your own research.

BTW - the Somerville/Halloran marriage in 1828 is for one of the twins. She had a few husbands/partners between 1812 and 1828 so reverting to her maiden name was not surprising. She may have had to wait 7yrs before claiming Dorsey was dead. No idea what happened to him although they had one son, Patrick, who died in 1838, age 21.

I agree the girls may have been in an orphanage of sorts but still think their birthdate was documented somewhere.

Many thanks for all your help, it's truly appreciated  :-*

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 March 21 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes, if they were in an orphanage we would likely find dob, date of admission, discharge,  ... I am sure once we find the first hint of an official extant record it will all line up ....

There's always benefits from technological, but there's real history in working through real original records  ...     :)  so much is lost when you don't know that there are comments at the beginning of the actual book or in the margins or in the exercise book put together by junior staff as a cheat sheet... I am thinking of Land Titles Office in Sydney when bdm were downstairs  ;D  as both were part of the then Registrar Generals Office...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 March 21 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
According to Phillis' death certificate (00886/1866) Her fathers name was given as Summerfield (sic) occupation Carpenter. Twice married in Sydney, first spouse unknown, 2nd Laurence Henry Halloran.
James Darcey who she married in 1812 was a Mariner of the ship Gov Macquarie. No idea what happened to him.
Could not find Phillis on 1828 census under Darcey/Halloran. Elizabeth on 1828 census under Elizabeth McGrath.

JLS7

Hi JLS7

Welcome to RootsChat,   it's a great place for sharing family history.

Many thanks for the info you have shared. 

I am sure it will help sort Lady Di's current quest.   

You will need to make a couple of posts to be able to exchange Private Messages with others, so just log in, and pop a quick reply on this thread would work.   :)  I am sure Lady Di would want to compare notes with you.

JM

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 March 21 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

JLS7

Oh I'm sorry I missed this message  :-[

Welcome to Rootschat JLS7

Thanks for the details from Phillis' death cert. At least her age at death (70) confirms her birth year as 1796.

Hope you enjoy Rootschat and all it has to offer.

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JLS7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 March 21 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome :)