Author Topic: Patrick Devine - 12th Regiment  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Rose78bne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Devine - 12th Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Probably a very silly question - but what was the role of the depot companies?

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Probably a very silly question - but what was the role of the depot companies?

They were where a man reported to receive his initial training Rose (usually a few weeks).  They were also administrative centres for the 'service battalion'(s) deployed elsewhere, whether overseas, or in a garrison somewhere in the UK.  If a man was 'time expired' (contract completed) overseas he would generally ship back and report to the depot where he would be de-kitted and discharged back to his home (free passage).  The same thing applied to officers.  Think of it as an administrative hub.

Offline Rose78bne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see! Thank you.

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see! Thank you.

The Depot Companies regularly moved around so that there was always the novelty value of a new regiment arriving to recruit.  This stopped recruiting from becoming too stale.  It also connected with the different uniforms and insignia, as well as the fame of the various regiments.  A young lad might like the fur cap of a fusilier, or the dark green uniform of a Rifle regiment.  Think 'celebrity', it's not a new concept, and some regiments were more celebrated than others.  The locations for the Depot Companies were usually near a seaport or inland port so that transporting the recruits once they were trained was easier.

Offline JCa59

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 November 22 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I am currently trying to research a Patrick Devine, born about 1831 in Ireland. I have managed to find him on the 1861 census, living at 23 Castle Street, St Andrews, Plymouth, where he was a soldier in the "12th Regiment". I believe he was married to Bridget Leonard (likewise born in Ireland). Also on the 1861 census is their daughter, Mary Ann, born in Aldershot. I have the baptism record for Mary Ann.

I'm completely clueless when it comes to the army during this period, so I'd be really grateful if anyone is able to tell me a bit more about who the 12th Regiment were and, if possible, where the family might have got to in 1871 and 1881 as I've no idea where they get to! I pick up Mary Ann Devine marrying Richard Tooth in 1881, and can trace her from then on but I'd love more information on the 12th regiment and where the family might be between 1861 and 1881, if possible, as I'm a little unsure where to look next.

Thank you!
I was amazed to fall across this post as I am researching my great great grandparents. Pte William Cane of the 12th Foot 2nd Battalion and his wife Christina MacIntyre.  I have been following the path of the 12th or the old dozen as they were known. 
After they came back from the Cape of Good Hope they were sent by ship round the south of England up to Fort George in the Highlands a very bleak place in midwinter for them. This is where somehow they met as Christina came from Argyll the other end of the Caledonia canal from his barracks. Later they were sent, I have dates, to Glasgow then Ayr then on a 24 hour long train journey to Aldershot, no food or drink even. There they were barracked in South Camp.
 My relatives were married here in Farnham registry office around the time your relatives had their baby.  Then they were moved to Portsmouth then by ship to Plymouth in 1860.  Like you, I found the census for St Andrew district in 1861.  My relatives are on the same page as yours as they stayed at 35 Castle street too.  Is that not amazing?  Our relatives were neighbours in the same boarding house or inn or whatever it was. 
I am looking at old Plymouth photos now to find it.  My daughter has been there lately to send me a video of the area now changed since bombing etc. My relative Christina had her baby there not long after the census day.
 It would be nice to think your relative, as a new mother, might have helped mine. Unfortunately I have just found that my relative Pte William Cane had an incident 20 days before the baby was born so I am tracking that now.  He became ill when they went to Ireland after this time and was pensioned off unfit for duty as an outpensioner, sent to Glasgow, for some reason and died soon after.  I hope by now you have found a lot more about Patrick Devine.