Author Topic: Hannah WILSON_Paul HAMILTON - Stanwick St John  (Read 218 times)

Offline janthedig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah WILSON_Paul HAMILTON - Stanwick St John
« on: Wednesday 10 March 21 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Help!  Have hit major brick walls with my 4 x Great Grandmother Hannah – surname debatable!
Details I have so far are:
Born Abt 1799 – Gosforth, Cumberland

Daughter – Elizabeth WILSON – Elizabeth's father, and therefore Hannah's husband/partner?, listed as Thomas WILSON, occupation, Mason on Elizabeth's marriage certificate.  Elizabeth was born in 1824 in Egremont, Cumberland and married Thomas JOBSON in 1843 in Stanwick St John, North Yorkshire.  (Thomas JOBSON died by drowning in 1866 - short on further detail for that too :-)

Can't find a marriage for Thomas and Hannah and can't find birth or death for Thomas that I can be certain is him. 

Also on Elizabeth's marriage certificate is a Paul HAMILTON as a witness.
Paul HAMILTON is mentioned very briefly in trade directories and the 1841 census and is listed variously as an Innkeeper, Publican, Victualler or Seller of Beer.  In 1841 he is living in Stanwick St John and Hannah is with him along with Elizabeth.

Prior to this Paul and Hannah are named as parents of Jane HAMILTON, on Jane's burial record in 1831 in High Coniscliffe, County Durham; she was 5 years old so born abt 1826.  So it would seem that they were married, or at least together and that Thomas WILSON may therefore be deceased.  He must have died between 1824, when Elizabeth was born, and 1826, when Jane HAMILTON was born.  Can't find a marriage for Hannah and Paul either.

Can't find a birth for Paul or Hannah (other than the information given on censuses for Hannah), so not certain of her maiden name.  Paul died in 1844 at Stanwick St John and is buried there.  His headstone mentions Jane his daughter.  Hannah then seems to carry on the pub after Paul's death as she is listed as a victualler in the 1851 census of Stanwick St John.  The 1861 and 1871 censuses have her as a pauper.

Hannah died June 1873 in Stanwick St John.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Hymer, Hindmoor, Sewell, Hemingway, Jobson