Author Topic: 1841 census Clowes Buildings, Hunt's Bank, Manchester  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1841 census Clowes Buildings, Hunt's Bank, Manchester
« on: Wednesday 10 March 21 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Good evening

I have come across an 1841 census record which has left me puzzled. It records 10 people, one of whom is Reuben Brotherton born c 1841 residing at Clowes Buildings, Hunt's Bank, Manchester.

Page Number:               26
Piece/Folio:              573/16
Registration Number:       HO107

However, when I research the address I have found one or two references:

Messrs Clowes House at Hunts Bank which, according to a book of plans and maps of Manchester dated 1866, was later the Manchester and Leeds Railway station.

1839-1842 : Leigh Hall, architect to the Manchester and Leeds Railway, Clowes’s Buildings, Hunt’s Bank, Manchester

A map dated 1892 - 1914 shows a workhouse beside the railway station. Could this be the building or was Clowes House turned into lodgings?

Does anybody have any information regarding this address, please?

Thank you.

Kind regards
Amanda

Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Clowes Buildings, Hunts Bank, Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean because all the pages are crossed through, marked ‘not filled up’ or ‘paper lost’?
Or is your puzzle connected to the family?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Clowes Buildings, Hunts Bank, Manchester
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 March 21 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean because all the pages are crossed through, marked ‘not filled up’ or ‘paper lost’?
Or is your puzzle connected to the family?

Hi

I found the transcript on Family Search so don't know about the pages being crossed out.

I was researching the names listed on that record.
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Clowes Buildings, Hunt's Bank, Manchester
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 March 21 01:32 GMT (UK) »
“It records 10 people”

8 are from the Brotherton family & the other 2 are  a married couple

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQLC-VQ3

Reuben was the son of Francis Brotherton & Mary Gabbott who married in 1838
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 March 21 02:08 GMT (UK) »
This map from 1845, though it doesn't show Hunts Bank, shows many buildings in the area, not just the Workhouse.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344087
(near Victoria Station/Long Millgate/Todd Sts - in the centre of the map near "COLLEGIATE")
As there are a number of advertisements in the 1840s about shares in the Manchester and Leeds Railway which have the contact address as "Clowes Buildings Hunts Bank", I would think it was a mixture of business and residential premises.

The description of the Enumeration District in the 1841 census you have is " ... along the right hand side of York Street to Long Millgate - from thence along the right hand side of Long Millgate to the Apple Market - from thence along the right hand side of the Apple Market to the river Irwell - from thence along the river Irwell to the Boundary of the township of Manchester and from thence along the said boundary to York Street aforesaid."

The next street on the census after your Clowes Buildings is Ducie St (which meets York St) which you can see on the map above.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 March 21 02:47 GMT (UK) »
In a history of Manchester published in the Hereford Journal on Wednesday,  Jan. 17, 1849, it mentions the Clowes Building:

"... The connection between the lords of Garnston (?) [sic] and Manchester did not close here; for as numerous monuments in the interesting church of Weobley show to this day, these Peploes, mindful of early associations, intermarried with the family of Clowes, of Hunts Bank, Manchester. The last representatives of this ancient family were co-heiresses, maiden ladies, and they died probably about twenty years ago. The paternal mansion was a noble structure of the era of Charles the Second. It remained in all its pristine grandeur until a comparatively recent period, when it was converted into offices in connection with the Manchester and Leeds Railway, and finally it was razed to give place to the present Manchester railway station, which occupies the site. ..."

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 March 21 04:23 GMT (UK) »
“It records 10 people”

8 are from the Brotherton family & the other 2 are  a married couple

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQLC-VQ3

Reuben was the son of Francis Brotherton & Mary Gabbott who married in 1838

Hi

Reuben, the son of Francis and Mary, was in Sabden at the time of the 1841 census.

With an unusual name like Reuben I do wonder if this one is connected to my family as other Reubens are but as the information provided in 1841 is pretty vague I am trying to decipher who all of the other Brothertons are, as yet unsuccessfully.

Thank you.
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 March 21 04:40 GMT (UK) »
This map from 1845, though it doesn't show Hunts Bank, shows many buildings in the area, not just the Workhouse.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344087
(near Victoria Station/Long Millgate/Todd Sts - in the centre of the map near "COLLEGIATE")
As there are a number of advertisements in the 1840s about shares in the Manchester and Leeds Railway which have the contact address as "Clowes Buildings Hunts Bank", I would think it was a mixture of business and residential premises.

The description of the Enumeration District in the 1841 census you have is " ... along the right hand side of York Street to Long Millgate - from thence along the right hand side of Long Millgate to the Apple Market - from thence along the right hand side of the Apple Market to the river Irwell - from thence along the river Irwell to the Boundary of the township of Manchester and from thence along the said boundary to York Street aforesaid."

The next street on the census after your Clowes Buildings is Ducie St (which meets York St) which you can see on the map above.

Thank you.

The map is great. I will need to scrutinise it. I use maps from this website but not as old.

;D
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 March 21 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Francis was a widower when he married Mary in 1838 which accounts for the 1841 entry showing children born before 1838.  Their Ruben (spelling on entry) was 9mths old whereas the other Reuben was 6mths old.

The 6mth old appears to be with parents James & Elizabeth but no other birth reg.

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)