Author Topic: john Mclachlan/mclauchlan  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: john Mclachlan/mclauchlan
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
Another question lnr   ;D

If this is the Thomas McLACHLAN born 1862, and if he's the son of the John McLACHLAN died 1925 for whom you have the death record, does that death record show that the son Thomas is living ??
[Thomas won't be named on death record, but his age will be on record if he was alive in 1925.]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
The following Thomas McLACHLAN - born about 1863, can be ruled out.

[Thomas McLACHLAN - died 9 January 1889 - aged 26 years (bc 1863).  Farmer of Maungatua, West Taieri, Otago.   (Will) - left all his estate to his father James McLACHLAN.   Son of James and Mary McLACHLAN.  ]

~  Lu

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 23:56 BST (UK) »
 Hi Thanks for all your work Elizabeth had quite a time of it according to the Police Gazettes I have found a marriage 1915 for an Elizabeth SMITH to a Sydney STEVENS At the moment havnt access to the death cert to see the ages but I know John the eldest child wasnt there and my mistake thomas was  born1862. Thanks lnr

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 00:11 BST (UK) »
Cheers lnr
... yes, just when you can view the death certificate, please let us know if Thomas (1862) was around in 1925.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 01:41 BST (UK) »

Hi Thanks for all your work Elizabeth had quite a time of it according to the Police Gazettes I have found a marriage 1915 for an Elizabeth SMITH to a Sydney STEVENS

Hi lnr

Why have you added this 1915 Elizabeth SMITH / Sydney STEVENS marriage to the mix without checking further who they were ???

[ This couple went on to have children in 1916 and later.   They lived in Christchurch then worked in  Wellington up until at least 1950. ]

Q  :    Does that mean that you're discounting  the Elizabeth Miller STEVENS aged 77, who died at Wanganui, 1932???

If you look earlier in thread, you'll see the link given by McKha re: "Ellizabeth Miller SCOTT alias SMITH.     The year of that article is 1900.    She says .... that she's 45 years of age (so born circa 1855) ... that she married her 2nd husband about 2 years ago (circa 1898)  ... and when she called at shop asking for a job, gave her name as Mrs STEVENSON.

When the article was posted here and I saw the surname STEVENSON, I was able to link it to some earlier info I'd found re: death at Wanganui of an "Elizabeth Miller STEVENS" who was roughly the same age as and residing in the same area as, Elizabeth Miller SCOTT alias SMITH.

Would just like to know why you've added the 1915 marriage here ???

~  Lu

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 06:16 BST (UK) »
 Hi this was the only Elisabeth smith that married a Stevens I cannot find any  to a George Stevens under Mclachlan, Scott or smith thanks lnr

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi lnr

It was clarified earlier on here that the 2nd husband mentioned by Elizabeth Miller SCOTT alias SMITH, in 1900, was most likely to have been "a common-law / de facto husband".    At that time she did not give the name of this "husband", all that was reported in the article was that she had told a shopkeeper that her name was Mrs. STEVENSON.   ("STEVENSON"  and  "STEVENS" sound very similar so perhaps there was an error in the article.??? )

What I'm trying to convey to you is that this Elizabeth Miller SCOTT (alias SMITH) is very possibly the same woman found on electoral rolls in and near Wanganui / using at times the surnames SCOTT and STEVENS.   And very probably she is the dead woman at Wanganui in 1932.
On one electoral roll, living at or near Wanganui, this Elizabeth Miller STEVENS is at same address as a gardener named George STEVENS.   That does not mean that she was married to him.   Marriage indexes were checked before posting info on here.     

~  Lu

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 23:56 BST (UK) »
 Hi Lu Thanks for that it is always very much appreciatted what you do. lnr

Offline seaflowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 22 April 21 22:06 BST (UK) »

Of note...inquest into death of Alexander Henry Scott

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZMAIL18960213.2.135.5
Bermuda/West Indies - Jobberns
Berwick, Scotland - Reid, Weatheret, Wilson (Coldstream, Chirnside)
Cornwall - Burlace, Borlase, Borlase-Pote, Champion, Ching, Pollard, Pote, Tripconey
Devon - Bryant
Halifax, N.S. Canada - Brewer
Kent - Griggs, Potter
London/M'sex - Aston, Burt, Clark, D'Almaine, Griffin
Northumb - Purdy, Reay
Somerset - Thatcher
Staffs - Jobberns
Surrey - Aston, Wilks
Sussex - Bassett, Wallis, Wickham
Warwick (Aston, B'ham) - Rufford, Stokes
Westmeath/Meath, Ireland - Hughes