Author Topic: john Mclachlan/mclauchlan  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: john Mclachlan/mclauchlan
« Reply #36 on: Friday 12 March 21 02:26 GMT (UK) »
McLAUCHLAN - family plot (covering both rows) - Omaka Cemetery, Blenheim :

Isabella - d. 1951
Margaret - d. 1953
Katherine SYMONS [nee McLAUCHLAN] - d. 1958
Margaret - d. 1903
Alexander - d. also 1903
Alexander Duncan - 1920
Donald Fulton - 1910

[Added for elimination purposes. ]

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 13 March 21 07:59 GMT (UK) »
sorry i meant to reply Yes Evelyn was married to the son John and was then separated                               I think and was with her daughter. Thanks lnr

Offline seaflowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, just jumping into this thread here as John is my GG Grandfather. Interesting reading, thanks everyone 😊

In relation to the family McLauchlan from Marlborough, buried at Omaka, that Isabella was a spinster.

It is likely to be a spelling error that our John McLachlan was buried at Omaka under the name McLauchlan, as all other records (marriage, births of all children) point to McLachlan as the spelling of his surname.

I’ve been looking at the arrival of John, Isabella, John and Elizabeth McLachlan to Nelson on the Cresswell in February 1859….There is a John McLachlan on the NZ Jury lists for both 1860 and 1861 in Nelson – likely to be John snr?

https://www.ancestry.com.au/imageviewer/collections/1839/images/32341_224133__0004-00264?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=nbL441&_phstart=successSource&pId=83960

https://www.ancestry.com.au/imageviewer/collections/1839/images/32341_224133__0004-00274?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=nbL442&_phstart=successSource&pId=85082

Although there is no further mention of John that I can find after this date, he is linked through Isabella and David, as David’s parents are named as John & Isabella, and furthermore both Isabella and youngest son Nelson Martin are linked to David through the other documents already provided within this thread. (I’m just clarifying this here…bear with me).

So if the John & Isabella that arrived on the Cresswell in February 1859 are indeed this same couple, then they settled in Nelson, had three more children, but somewhere along the line John snr has disappeared. And what happened to the daughter Elizabeth?

Going back further…using a combination of Scotlands people records and references via Ancestry trees etc. the only “John & Isabella” I could find that fits would be John McLachlan and Isabella Henderson. However, they were married in 1837 had five children between moving across Strontian and then Tobermory, before settling in Gorbals, Glasgow, where they had two more children John b. 12/09/1851 and Elizabeth b. 12/03/1854. However, I have now discounted this John & Isabella as they both died in Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Scotland (in 1865 and 1870 respectively)…BUT, I cannot find them in the 1861 Census (which would properly discount them as being the couple that arrived via the Cresswell in Feb 1859).

Just to add a bit more...on John McLachlan Jnr's death (1925) printout it states he was in NZ for 70 years...but that may not be correct of course.

I’m going to keep working on this but any other info or suggestions would be most welcome thanks!
Bermuda/West Indies - Jobberns
Berwick, Scotland - Reid, Weatheret, Wilson (Coldstream, Chirnside)
Cornwall - Burlace, Borlase, Borlase-Pote, Champion, Ching, Pollard, Pote, Tripconey
Devon - Bryant
Halifax, N.S. Canada - Brewer
Kent - Griggs, Potter
London/M'sex - Aston, Burt, Clark, D'Almaine, Griffin
Northumb - Purdy, Reay
Somerset - Thatcher
Staffs - Jobberns
Surrey - Aston, Wilks
Sussex - Bassett, Wallis, Wickham
Warwick (Aston, B'ham) - Rufford, Stokes
Westmeath/Meath, Ireland - Hughes

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 10:37 BST (UK) »

In relation to the family McLauchlan from Marlborough, buried at Omaka, that Isabella was a spinster.

Yes, Isabella McLAUCHLAN (spinster) buried 1951 Omaka ... further information was added at Replies #35 and 36 in order to eliminate this lady. 

~  Lu

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 10:55 BST (UK) »
A whole lot of earlier replies discuss this death

1895/4802   McLachlan   John   69Y

Have you ruled that out?

We were able to rule out the others I think.

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 08 April 21 00:54 BST (UK) »
hi This would make him born abt 1826 Without getting a death cert not sure. Wont be doing this as researching for someone alse Thanks lnr

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 03:54 BST (UK) »
 I now have a death cert for John Mclachlan snr. He died 3rd july 1895 Blenheim and is buried in the omaka cemetry he was aged 69.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 04:05 BST (UK) »
Is this the man you have been searching for? If so, exactly what other details are on this certificate/printout?

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 19 April 21 23:34 BST (UK) »
 I am now looking for Johns daughter Elizabet Millar McLachlan.  It was found that John had  married Isabella POLLOCK at Duniplace Stirling 1855 They had a daughter Elizabeth Millar Mclachlan born 13 July 1857 St Ninians Stirling Then they came to nz on the Cresswell 1858 to Nelson. They then had David and Thomas. according to marriages Elizabeth married  a Henry SCOTT. I have found one daughtr for them Isabella Millar SCOTT, Wellington. 1887. Then found elizabeth 1896 Molesworth  st Wellington and no Henry then 1919 Kimbolton Rd Feilding widow In police Gazetts A Henry Alexander Scott 1892.1894 as deserting his wife not sure if him or not. Cant find any of them after that. Also looking for Thomas Mclachlan born abt 1866 Nz.Thanks lnr