Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 10th March.  (Read 780 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 10th March.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 March 21 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's illness, I'm not surprised you felt so unsettled by the news. I hope his future treatment goes well.

Not just me with the bed moving problem then LM! It's such hard work isn't it? No wonder they used to have beds on castors with a huge gap below for easy cleaning.

TY, it sounds like those items may well be hiding there. Perhaps one of those litter picking sticks might be the answer to retrieving them.  :D

Viktoria, I thought at first you meant that you'd painted your house, I realised further on that you meant the bins! Pleased to hear the horse and FH are doing well.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 March 21 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Don’t some people get more than a fair share of illness!
Hope your friend responds to treatment, Caroline.

I quite like tourist posters,the Railway ones of the thirties and forties.
No real perspective ,blocks of colour ,but cheerful and effective .
One artist in particular, but name escapes me.

Bought myself a book ,the work of Gustave Klimt.
I love his “ Gold Period” and intricate patterns.

I remember an exhibition of Van Gogh’s works in Gent, gosh,  the paint was soooo thick!
By comparison, his charcoal drawings of Belgian peasants were so sombre.
The faces ,caricatures ,of the peasants or they were a really ugly lot!

We used to play “ Brueghel faces” ,sitting outside having a coffee ,watching passers by ,we would see people who could have stepped from a Brueghel painting .
Strong  features ,and often very unattractive.
Perhaps  they played English  faces!

I bought a new double bed when I moved here with storage drawers for bed linen.
I ought to have asked for castors ,it came with gliders ,but has bedded down on the new carpet.
I can’t move it at all,so lying on the floor and trying to vac under it with the tube attachment is the best I can do.
I will look tomorrow to see if when the drawers are removed I can get to the floor .
Can’t you tell when a man has designed something ———I expect replies now
 :-[

Well electric blanket time ,a hot milk and note out for milkman ,then bed with a fiendish crossword in the  “ History” magazine.
I won’t finish it!
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 March 21 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Delighted to hear you’d painted your bins Viktoria... I too, on first reading, was wondering exactly what you’d been painting 😂😂

Pleased to hear your daughters horse is doing so much better... obviously moving stables has helped and if they were suffering with bike riders no wonder the horses were getting stressed out... good to hear FH can help mucking out now it’s much nearer... those bikers need their helmets banging together..

thanks all for your concern over my friends hubbie... you just feel so helpless not being able to be there for them...

I don’t think if I lay on the floor and pushed with all my might I’d be able to shift the beds in any direction! It takes two of us just to flip the mattresses over !

Saw a Van Goghs exhibition in London some years ago... such a tormented soul but such vibrant colours in his paintings... unlike his early ones of the workers in their homes black and somber... just like their lives I suppose.. wasn’t one of his The Potato Eaters?
 I find it interesting going to exhibitions and seeing an artists work over time and what they start off painting and end up painting...
David Hockey was a good example if this... I was completely blown away with his exhibition...
Turners too... I always thought that he was really the start of the Impressionist period...such a wonderful artist... was t so keen on his early paintings but once he progressed truly magnificent...  I mean fancy being strapped to a ships mast to paint a picture... could go on for ever really about art!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK