Author Topic: smith family  (Read 782 times)

Offline tancor2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
smith family
« on: Thursday 11 March 21 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I know this might be an impossible question, as i have been unable to find the answer along with another member of my family.
 trying to fill in unanswered questions , about  3x ggrandmother.
She was Margaret Smith she was born in Eston North Yorkshire in 1823, she died in Lazenby in 1870
She had 4 children  Isabella b 1846, mathew b 1849, james b 1855 and George b 1859 all in Lazenby north yorkshire.
We have been unable to find a marriage or father for her children, any ideas the above information is all we have to go on.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: smith family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 21 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the baptisms of her first and last child - both the parish registers indicate Margaret to be a single woman.

If it was a 'one off' I would have suggested you check for an Affiliation order being taken out by Margaret against the father of her child - BUT as there were 4 children, it is possible she was in a long term relationship and being financially supported by the father (this is pure speculation of course).

You could check the local Archives (might be Northallerton) - using the mother's name as a search term, just to see if an order was taken out by her.

The only other suggestion would be a DNA test -- then you could see if a family were coming up as a match, whom you have no knowledge of. That would of course be dependant on the father's descendants having taken a test as well and having a tree you can view.

Heaven forbid though, that all 4 children have a different father!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline tancor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 March 21 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks will check northallerton.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 March 21 17:06 GMT (UK) »
They appear to be on the 1851 and 1861 census, Margaret and her mother Ann, Bella and Mathew in 1851 where Margaret is down as unmarried.
In 1861 there appears to be a John Smith son in law to Ann and married to Margaret.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?q.givenName=isabella&q.surname=smith&q.birthLikePlace=lazenby&m.defaultFacets=on&m.queryRequireDefault=on&m.facetNestCollectionInCategory=on&count=20&offset=0

Can t find a Smith/Smith marriage though
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 March 21 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Isabellas baptism? no father mentioned  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NGBV-42Z

There is a possible (only possible0 marriage for her in 1869 to Samuel Noncarrow father NK (illeg)
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 March 21 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes -- Margaret is living with her mother Ann in 1851 -but shown as Unmarried. Children 'Bella' and Matthew are present. This is also in Lazenby parish.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline tancor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 March 21 11:56 GMT (UK) »
The marriage found for Samuel Nancarrow and Isabella they were my 2xg grandparents.
Now you mention a John Smith husband in 1861 census, maybe he was the father of the children, and maybe he was already married and only became free to marry Margaret at this time.
The twist and turns one finds when doing your family tree are fascinating.
thanks to all who have taken the time to search for an answer to my puzzle.