Author Topic: 1939 register name change interpretation please  (Read 2540 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register name change interpretation please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 March 21 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk.

Now is the time for me to stop going down the Chatterton rabbit hole!  Have enough to keep me busy researching closer relatives.  Although this was an entertaining diversion and I've learnt more about the 1939 register in the process.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Pelawe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register name change interpretation please
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 May 21 00:55 BST (UK) »
Having read your thread on the Chatterton, Brierley name change I feel though you have concluded it I must post on it.
Claude Albert Chatterton and his wife Sarah, nee Brierley had four sons Claude Albert born 1913, William George born 1914, John Henry born 1917 and Bernard born 1919. John Henry is not on the 1939 register with the rest of the Chatterton’s as he was in the army, the Sherwood Foresters who he had enlisted in in 1936. His wife Mary, nee Clarke is in the register, but I cannot make out where she was other than it is probably in married service quarters. Mary later returned to her native Guernsey where she and her eldest daughter lived throughout the German occupation. John Chatterton had met Mary in Guernsey whilst the Sherwood Foresters were garrisoned there in the 1930’s..
Claude died from the injuries he sustained in a roof collapse at Wollaton Colliery in 1941, William was killed at Tobruk in 1942. John was demobbed in 1948 and went to join Mary in Guernsey where he had three further children, a boy and two more girls the eldest of whom is my wife.
The reason for the name change was related to me by the family is that after the deaths of Claude and William the name Chatterton was regarded by them as unlucky, so it was decided to change their surname to Sarah’s maiden name of Brierley.
If that was the reason and I’ve no reason to doubt them, then it unfortunately it was not successful as John died tragically in an industrial accident when rescuing a co-worker in July 1951. Out of the four sons of Claude Albert Chatterton and his wife Sarah only Bernard survived living until 2002. Bernard who Sarah had died whilst giving birth too, Brierley it seems didn't bring them luck after all.
The story of the Chatterton, Brierley name change is one of a family’s reaction to tragedy.
Just to let you know that your thread was first found much to her great surprise by John Henry’s youngest daughter whilst researching the Chatterton’s. I hope this post clears your mystery up for you.