Author Topic: 1939 register name change interpretation please  (Read 2489 times)

Online ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register name change interpretation please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 March 21 19:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth for Claude A Chatterton in Nottingham in 1938 - mmn is Hawthorne.

There is a marriage in Nottingham in 1934 between Claude A C Chatterton and Ida Hawthorne.

There is a birth for Claude A C Brierley in Nottingham in 1913 mmn Brierley. Might his mother be Sarah Brierley ?

William

I saw the 1934 marriage Claude A Chatterton/Ida Hawthorne and the birth of their two children, one with the same name as his father, MMN Hawthorne, who are also shown on 1939 register.

I think you're right about the birth for Claude A C Brierley in 1913 being the same person as Claude A Chatterton born 1913, and would explain the two surnames for Ida Hawthorne's marriage.  The GRO shows BRIERLEY, CLAUDE  ALBERT CHATTERTON    with no MMN given.  Claude Albert Chatterton married Sarah Brierley in 1915, but in 1914 there's a GRO ref to a Chatterton birth with MMN Brierley, and also 1917, and 1918.  Sarah died in 1919. 

Claude was a miner in 1939 but died 1941 so perhaps it was easier to claim any pension or other benefits (if he died of a mining related illness or accident?) if he was known by the Brierley surname at work, or that name was on his birth certificate?  So it could have just to make life simpler - possibly Ida just had their surnames corrected to match their father's?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 March 21 20:11 GMT (UK) »

I think you're right about the birth for Claude A C Brierley in 1913 being the same person as
Claude A Chatterton born 1913, and would explain the two surnames for Ida Hawthorne's marriage. 

The GRO shows BRIERLEY, CLAUDE  ALBERT CHATTERTON    with no MMN given. 

Claude Albert Chatterton married Sarah Brierley in 1915, but in 1914 there's a GRO ref to a Chatterton birth with MMN Brierley, and also 1917, and 1918. 

Sarah died in 1919. 

For info.

CHATTERTON, WILLIAM  GEORGE   mmn BRIERLEY
1914  S Quarter in NOTTINGHAM  Volume 07B  Page 825   

1942 death William George Chatterton

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2224945/WILLIAM%20GEORGE%20CHATTERTON/
Son of Claude Albert and Sarah Chatterton, of Radford, Nottinghamshire

Edit to add - there is a public tree on Anc*y no birth / marriage certificates gives CAC parents
Claude A Chatterton & Sarah Brierley, plus 3 siblings, there is a picture of Claude & Ida’s dau
if you have access here’s the link https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qec/

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 March 21 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes a really informative entry, if you look at the 1939 entry you are given a short history of the family in one document.

Claude A Chatteston, born 17 Jan. 1913, a coal miner (Hewer, i.e. he worked on the coal face) was living with his wife and children. Ida Chatteston, born 14 Aug. 1914 his wife, Iris C Chatteston, born 24 Aug 1934, daughter, Claude A  Chatteston, born 2 Jan. 1938, at 43 Medway Street, Nottingham. At some time in the future the father Claude possibly died or his marriage failed and his wife Ida remarried, Mr Brierley (possibly Claude Brierley (mother's maiden name Derrick birth reg. Sep 1913, Nottingham, 7b, 740) but there are other possibilities) or took his name. The NHS were informed of the change of name on the 11 Jun 1946, as the children were both under 21 they adopted the new surname as well after their mother's marriage.

The daughter Iris C, married Mr Read in 1957 and the NHS were informed or registered her new name on 12 Dec 1957.

From this entry it is possible to quickly check for Claude, the father's death between 1939 & 1946, mother Ida's marriage in 1946, daughter Iris' marriage in 1957.
It is also not too much of a leap of faith to think that son Claude may have followed his father into the mining industry, and possibly married in the early to mid 1960s.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 21 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk for the extra info, and Guy Etchells for the family summary.  There is a mistranscription though as it was Chatterton not Chatterston.  Certainly the 1939 register is a huge resource.

Since the family name changed to Brierley in or before 1946 (the date of the annotation), then that changes the search details for the children's marriages - so now I've been able to see Iris C Brierley's marriage to Read, as you pointed out Guy.  And find Claude A Brierley's marriage, and his death in 2006.

Searching for Claude A C Brierley (born 1913) also revealed that his burial record uses his full name as on his birth record i.e Chatterton Brierley.

So presumably Ida was putting the record straight once his birth name became apparent on his death. 

Thanks everyone - a good puzzle, well solved!

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 March 21 10:06 GMT (UK) »

Ida Hawthorne married Claude A Chatterton in 1934.  He died in 1941.

Claude Albert Chatterton BRIERLEY
Death 20 Jan 1941
Burial or Cremation Date:   23 Jan 1941

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 March 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 March 21 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you have not seen this- there are articles in the Nottinghamshire newspapers in August 1930 about a Claude Albert Chatterton being in front of Magistrates for stealing a bicycle from a co worker. He is said to be 17 years old and living in lodgings at 59 Dorset Street.

" Supt Rodgers said that Chatterton had a father alive and no mother and he was living in lodgings, paying 17s 6d a week. For some time he had worked at Lowes Nurseries, but since the occurrence, had been dismissed and had obtained work at Wollaton Colliery".

It is interesting to note the street where Claude Senior is living in 1939.

The Nottingham Evening Post 20 Jan 1841 also shows that his death was the result of a mining accident " Claude Chatterton 28, of 43, Medway Street, Radford...had an accident at another colliery on January 8th and died yesterday".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 March 21 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Millmoor, I'd just been looking up 1941 newspapers and found the accident that eventually killed Claude Albert Chatterton Brierley.

I'd spotted that Claude Albert Chatterton snr, in his 80s, was in the 1939 register but didn't post on here that his son Bernard was with him (working at a cycle manufacturer's).  Did you see that there was a Chatterton family next door too, but I haven't worked out the relationship - possibly William snr was Claude Albert's brother? 

My main interest is Isaac Bannister, and then I became intrigued by all the name changes for his wife Ida.  Fascinating reading.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 March 21 12:13 GMT (UK) »

I'd spotted that Claude Albert Chatterton snr, in his 80s, was in the 1939 register but didn't post on here that his son Bernard was with him (working at a cycle manufacturer's). 

Did you see that there was a Chatterton family next door too, but I haven't worked out the relationship - possibly William snr was Claude Albert's brother

I think you are correct with Claude Albert & William being brothers

1891 c Piece: 1188 Folio: 166 Page: 21
James A Chatterton   28 Box cutter
Caroline Chatterton   29
Claud A Chatterton   8
Bernard A Chatterton   6
William Chatterton   4

1901c Piece:   3183 Folio:   16 Page Number:   23
Samuel Chatterton   59
Elizabeth Chatterton   69
James A Chatterton   son 38 Mar
Claude Chatterton   gd son 18 mule piecer