Author Topic: Mary Norris dom. servant to the Crawfords of Clauchaig Farm, Kilmory 1861  (Read 3409 times)

Offline issyb2010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Norris dom. servant to the Crawfords of Clauchaig Farm, Kilmory 1861
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 March 21 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Amazing - did anyone go to sleep last night or did you all just beaver away!  You have all been fantastic, thank you very much  ;D .  I will sit down and go through everything.  Couple of things to clear up - Archibald never ran a farm in later years.  In 1895 he married Elizabeth Foster in Paddington (London), died in 1915 in Paddington.  John Crawford was never married as far as the 1881 - 1901 census goes.  Donald & Margaret (John's parents) never had a son called Archibald.  Archibald was always known in my family as Archibald Crawford Norris.  I went down the line of John Crawford (the tailor one) because of Archibald's marriage certificate.  I traced John to the 1861 census where there was a Mary Norris as a servant - as I understand from family rumours (which you have to take with a pinch of salt!), Mary was a servant working for a Laird, now the Laird bit is codswallop but the servant part is true hence why I plumped for this particular Crawford family.  ::)

Offline issyb2010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 March 21 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Rosie, can you post a link to the tree please so I can have a quick look? ADDED: Don't worry, have found it. Gosh there are an awful lot of trees for these lines! Good to see that many have original material attached to them.

Monica

Hi Monica - can you tell me what this means please?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 March 21 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Interesting stuff from the Ordnance Survey Name Books (compiled in the1850s):

CLAUCHOG FARM    
Rental
Factor
Robert Spiers Tenant    259.02    This is one of the few large farms in the island the greater part of the arable land in Clauchog belong to this farm, still there eight small farms North of this locally called Clauchog. Laigh Clauchog, and High Clauchog, those are already described but the factor does not recognise those differences, in name, Clauchog is bounded on the South by the sea on the West by the yellow band which divide it from Bennecarrigan, on the east by the Torrylin water which divides it from Torrylin and the Allt Mòr Cloined which divide it from Cloined on the north it is undefined in the Hills.

HIGH CLAUCHOG    
Estate Map
James Stewart Clauchog
Robert Nicol Clauchog    254.14    This is but a local name and refers to four farm steadings on the north end of Clauchog

LAIGH CLAUCHOG
Estate Map
James Stewart Clauchog
Robert Nicol Clauchog
Robert Spiers Clauchog    253.14    This is but a local name and applies to five farm steadings on the farm of Clauchog.
[/b]

See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=55.45717&lon=-5.22726&layers=5&b=1&marker=55.44542,-5.21826 - you may need to zoom in and out, and pan the map around, to see all of them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 13 March 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »

Couple of things to clear up - Archibald never ran a farm in later years.  In 1895 he married Elizabeth Foster in Paddington (London), died in 1915 in Paddington. 

I was referring to reputed father of your Archibald, Archibald Crawford born c. 1846, son of John and Catherine, from Clauchog Farm.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 March 21 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Interesting stuff from the Ordnance Survey Name Books (compiled in the1850s):

That makes sense of that. Thought there might be more than one farm involved given Donald Crawford and John Crawford were both farming in the area.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 March 21 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I can't make out the cause of death for Mary Norris, so have made a request for help here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=845910.0

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 March 21 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Cystitis, Retroversio uteri.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 March 21 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Agony, therefore  :'(

Poor Mary.

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 March 21 15:58 GMT (UK) »
there are an awful lot of trees for these lines

can you tell me what this means please?
It means that many different people have been looking into this family and have uploaded a tree to a commercial web site.

Unfortunately people often just copy a tree that they think is theirs without bothering to check that it is all correct, so if they have copied a tree that is wrong you can get many trees with the identical error. Therefore it is always necessary to regard an online tree as a pointer to the information, and to check every detail by referring to the original source, unless of course the actual original source is attached to the tree.