Author Topic: Thomas Herring and Mary Sparrow marriage: 10 Jul 1785, St Martin, Worcester?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Herring and Mary Sparrow marriage: 10 Jul 1785, St Martin, Worcester?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 March 21 16:40 GMT (UK) »
oh ok, that rules out that particular Mary Sparrow, shame as Bromsberrow looked good in terms of the geography.

Have you come across this Mary?
Baptism 1764 April 22  Mary Sparry to Joseph and Hannah at Old Swinford 

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Herring and Mary Sparrow marriage: 10 Jul 1785, St Martin, Worcester?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 March 21 17:45 GMT (UK) »
oh ok, that rules out that particular Mary Sparrow, shame as Bromsberrow looked good in terms of the geography.

Have you come across this Mary?
Baptism 1764 April 22  Mary Sparry to Joseph and Hannah at Old Swinford

Yes I have and also the below from Coventry: -

Mary Sparrow baptised: 27 April 1766 at Holy Trinity, Coventry, Warwickshire
Father: William Sparrow
Mother: Mary

I'm not sure about Mary Sparry from Oldswinford as I'm thinking why would they get married at Worcester if they were living at Oldswinford? 

My Auntie came across this marriage at Worcester while she was researching Family Tree at College in Halesowen, after she retired from work in 1992 and she has written down baptism 25 December 1794 Beoley, Worcestershire, but I can't find anything for it.  She mentioned vaguely hearing from her family that the Herrins originally came up from Herefordshire.

Auntie also has this baptism for Thomas Herring 17 Jan 1758 at Kimbolton, Herefordshire to parents: Thomas Herring and Elizabeth.

Susan Herring baptised 2 April 1755 at Kimbolton
Richard Herring baptised 5 Jan 1768 at Orleton, Hereforeshire and buried 15 March 1804 at Oldswinford.

I'm starting to think not all parish records were recorded onto FS or Ancestry and I didn't have much luck looking through microfilms at The Hive when I last went nearly two years ago.

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 March 21 18:55 GMT (UK) »

I'm not sure about Mary Sparry from Oldswinford as I'm thinking why would they get married at Worcester if they were living at Oldswinford? 

Perhaps it was a parish where questions weren't asked, otherwise I agree.

My Auntie came across this marriage at Worcester while she was researching Family Tree at College in Halesowen, after she retired from work in 1992 and she has written down baptism 25 December 1794 Beoley, Worcestershire, but I can't find anything for it. 

that baptism (transcription) for Mary Sparrow  is on the fhs site, parents William and Mary, no other details given.  But that can't then be Mary who marries Thomas Herring (unless baptism of an adult), perhaps she was collecting Sparrows to form a wider picture of the family.

She mentioned vaguely hearing from her family that the Herrins originally came up from Herefordshire.

Auntie also has this baptism for Thomas Herring 17 Jan 1758 at Kimbolton, Herefordshire to parents: Thomas Herring and Elizabeth.

Susan Herring baptised 2 April 1755 at Kimbolton
Richard Herring baptised 5 Jan 1768 at Orleton, Hereforeshire and buried 15 March 1804 at Oldswinford.

I'm starting to think not all parish records were recorded onto FS or Ancestry and I didn't have much luck looking through microfilms at The Hive when I last went nearly two years ago.

there are definitely gaps in the coverage. If Beoley is a location of interest, then a number of nearby parishes come under Warwickshire and that has quite a lot of coverage on various sites.

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »

that baptism (transcription) for Mary Sparrow  is on the fhs site, parents William and Mary, no other details given.  But that can't then be Mary who marries Thomas Herring (unless baptism of an adult), perhaps she was collecting Sparrows to form a wider picture of the family.

Thanks for confirming that its a baptism for Mary Sparrow. FHS, for Mary Sparrow during that year 1794, isn't showing up for me at the moment. Agree it probably isn't her unless she was baptised as an adult.

I have come across two potential deaths for Mary Herring on FreeReg: -

Mary Herring buried 7 April 1824 at St Mary's Oldswinford. Age 54. Buried person Abode: Stourbridge.  Reg Entry No: 263. As you've mentioned earlier in above post, this Mary was born abt. 1770.

Mary Herring buried 1 Aug 1825 at St Mary's Oldswinford. Age 61. Buried person Abode: Lye Waste. Reg Entry No: 656.  This Mary was born Abt. 1764.

I believe the above were sister in laws?  Mary Sparrow having married Thomas Herring and the other Mary (Mary Evans) having married William Herring on 22 July 1787 at St Mary's Oldswinford. Witnesses: Thomas and Mary Herring. Reg Entry No: 375. FreeReg.

Name:   William Herring
Burial Date:   18 Dec 1837
Burial Place:   Old Swinford, Worcester, England
FHL Film Number:   350511
Reference ID:   293

FHS shows William Herring at age 74 at the time of his burial, which would put him at being born abt. 1763.

I'm not having luck with finding potential birth or death for Thomas Herring on FHS at the moment. Will have to try again when the internet connection isn't playing up.