Author Topic: Diary > Friday 12th March  (Read 940 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 12th March
« on: Saturday 13 March 21 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Woke before the alarm set to get me up and sorted for morning art class, thank goodness it's back to afternoons next week for those of us who choose not to do the morning class. Only two more classes till the end of term. The class was a planning one, our tonal sketches are normally only required to be postcard size at the most, for this we had to do an A3 sketch. That was after mapping it out as a thumbnail sketch, scaling it up wasn't quite so straightforward. The teacher absolutely loved my homework painting that I'd done in acrylic inks, lots of compliments from the rest of the class too.

After a latish lunch I went for a walk, the temperature wasn't all that low but there was a biting wind. It was just after 2.30 when I went out and I thought that would mean I'd avoid the schools finishing. I soon found out that wasn't so, along the,main road there were several groups of boys cycling three and four abreast, taking up the cycle path and also most of the footpath. None of them made any effort to move behind each other.

When I got home I contacted Vodafone through the chat line to tell them that my new SIM card for my spare phone would not connect and I'd put £10 credit on it. I thought it would soon be resolved, how silly of me. After an hour during which the person tried to convince me that it was my phone at fault and coming up with excuses for not refunding my money and telling me to contact my bank to get it back, I asked for a manager. I then spent another hour trying to convince him of the same things. Eventually he agreed to send a new SIM card and when I received it my £10 would be transferred to it. By that time I was just about at screaming pitch and it put me in a bad mood for ages after. That was two hours I could have spent doing something useful.  I just hope I don't have to contact them again. I'm fed up of being a slave to these so called chat lines, oh for the days when you could talk to a human being.

I see Megan has now complained to Ofcom about Piers Morgan's comments about her. For someone who wanted a quiet life away from publicly she's certainly going a strange way about achieving it. I've just noticed that I've been spelling her name wrong. Oh well, do I look like someone who cares?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 12th March
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 March 21 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear your artwork was admired not only by your teacher but fellow students too... at least you’ll be back to normal next week!
How frustrating to have spent all that time sorting out what should be a simple problem! You’ve not had much luck with Vodafone.... they are my phone provider too and I think I must have been fortunate as I’ve found them very helpful when I’ve had any issues with them... I’ll keep 🤞that the new SIM card works ok!

My day -

I was reading in bed when I was contacted via FaceTime at 8am!..... my daughter and youngest grandson J.... whose face was a picture when he saw I was still in bed...
‘Why aren’t you up grandma’ he said
‘Because I’m just not yet ‘ I said!....
He wanted me to see the fish in the tank b4 going off to school! We had a very quick chat daughter said she’d call me back after taking him to school. T had already gone for football club at 7.30am! Friday is her day off so we could have a bit of a chat but early as she’d lots to do ... after they’d gone I got up and went to shower and wash my hair...
OH was just getting up too as he’d heard me talking!
Once ready I noticed I’d had a missed FaceTime from my son in Oz!... I’d already had a message from him to say DiL’s birthday card still not arrived... over a month since it was posted!....
whilst getting breakfast ready I messaged him to say I’d FT him shortly... meanwhile had another message from daughter to ask if we were ready to chat!..oh what it is to be required by both our children at the same time... most unusual... I suggested to daughter perhaps we could have a family zoom... she set it up and that’s the first time we’ve done that...it was nice to all chat together but it’s sometimes difficult as everyone talks at the same time and my son is quite demonstrative! We sorted it out in the end and after two hours decided we all had things to do!
Not sure I want to do that again it’s exhausting... once we’d said goodbye... my daughter... the person who had a lot to do FT us again as she felt she’d not been able to say much! So we chatted for further hour...she informed me I should be receiving something through the post today..
After lunch I was Finally able to get on with cleaning the house too late to get washing in and on the line and it was a very cold wind... mixed with heavy downpours every so often.
Our postie arrived with a box for me.... too small for flowers he said..I expect it’s for Mother’s  Day . wonder what it is... ... said I’d let him know! He’s a lovely chap always asks us how we are and to take care...
It was from a company called Biscuiteers ... never heard of them... beautiful box and the contents were wonderful... 12 Macarons... lemon, cherry, raspberry, pistachio, blueberry, vanilla... so colourful all hand made... not only eye wateringly beautiful but eyewateringly expensive too I’ve no doubt knowing her... sent her a picture and my thanks and said I’d look forward to eating them on Sunday... well not all at once obviously...
she said she was pleased I’d got them and liked them and not to wait as they’re freshly made.. keep in the fridge.. ok so I had the blueberry one and OH had lemon, they were delicious... no good for dieting!
We had a couple of games of scrabble late afternoon won one lost one ... now one behind!
Dinner was chicken in lemon and herb with stir fry vegs and egg fried rice... quick and easy to do.
We watched Masterchef and the golf!I read...

Very sad to hear that young girl has been found her family must be totally devastated.... to walk all that way in that area at night is never a good idea and sadly she’s paid the ultimate price... to think it’s likely to be a serving Met Officer is incredulous.... hope they throw the book at him if it is him... very sad day.

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »
That must have been a shock to the system being called at that time! Lovely to have a family day on screen with both son and daughter, I'm not surprised you were exhausted, I find it is with my art class. And what a lovely present from your daughter, some nice treats.
Yes it's very sad about Sarah Everard and a bad state of affairs when women can't feel safe in the streets. I see that the planned vigil on Clapham Common has been cancelled, to be replaced with a virtual event.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 21 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Awww, top praise for Roobarb's art and how lovely to have both your children on at the same time Caroline, even if it was a bit tiring. I imagine it will set you up for days.

Negatives too of course, and I really sympathise with your phone hassle Roobarb, because those situations bring me to screaming point and leave me exhausted and frustrated.

I managed a walk between heavy showers, a group chat with some chums "Up North" and was delighted to receive a special delivery late in the afternoon via moonpig from my older son.
Unusually we had a brief power cut, though a nearby it lasted 40 minutes I am told.
It was a very wet and wild night again.

ADDED: I meant to say that the Met police man arrested in connection with the awful murder of Sarah Everard, was reported yesterday, to have been hospitalised due to head injuries received whilst in custody.  As the ex-wife of a prison officer I can't say I was surprised!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 March 21 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Wow Roobarb, that’s excellent feedback for your work. It’s always good to get some praise after you put in so much effort. How infuriating for you having to deal with such an inept company. Sometimes I think they intentionally make it difficult for people to demand a good service,in the hope that they won’t bother. Good on you for persevering despite the fact it wasted so much of your time and probably raised your blood pressure.

Caroline  - what a busy Zoom day you had. It’s not easy getting everyone together at the same time. I can imagine how it must be with everyone so chatting at the same time. Such a lovely gift from your daughter - the macaron’s sound yummy. Just for interest we bought something from the UK (Birmingham) last Wednesday and it arrived on Friday. It took just over a week, so I am surprised your daughter in law’s card hasn’t arrived yet.

The murder of the girl from London has been in our news here too. Dreadful.

MH- nice for you to have a chat with your friends - it must break up your day and perk you up.

My Friday was spent visiting my father and grocery shopping but not much else. Weather fine.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 March 21 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Attach copy of the twins having a cuddle with their big sister (cropped out her face as didn't think it would be allowed).   Small for her age (11 next month) but so helpful to Mummy in helping to care for the twins, changing nappies and feeding.

Emerging that Macy is a Mummy's girl and Darcey a Daddy's girl - I guessed correctly that Macy was smiling at Mummy and Darcey looking at Daddy.

Another dental appointment yesterday but just measuring, etc. for a new plate so in and out quite quickly.

Although nothing of interest to report I'm still reading all the diary posts.   Having to contend with the wind and rain here too - even put my ear plugs in last night which ensured I got a good nights sleep.

Take care everyone.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:20 GMT (UK) »
What a great family photo.
Lovely to see the twins are coming on so well, and a gold star to Esmae for being such a marvellous help to Mum. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Well, compliments to so many of you ,art, family  connections ,babies coming on splendidly .scrabble !

I never thought I would agree with Piers Morgan!

All pretty OK here , got a letter from the hospital,made me laugh!

Quote:-To ensure you receive appropriate treatment the below appointment has been made for you .
However,due to current Coronavirus precautions put in place by HMGovernment ,we ask that you do NOT attend the hospital for this appointment.
Speciality Cardiology .
Instead a clinician will review your case and will contact you by telephone, but not necessarily on the above date,or write to you in the coming weeks .

Well, OK, but without the tests how will he know  what is the cause of the chest pains?
Hard to understand when I attended hospital on Tuesday and will again when my eye appt comes through!
However at the moment I am not too bad at all.

Looking forward to Peterloo this evening .
Been altering some curtains,I like them long enough
to sit on the window sill when closed,so they don’t block the radiator heat.

All tacked up ,when machine is sorted ,just a quick job.
Or son will lift the very heavy old Singer ,converted from a hand machine with a little motor .
Sitting in a corner on the bedroom floor at the moment.
His long has this been going on you have  to be very patient when you are old
Such rain in the night and this morning ,and quite cool.
Sun out just now.

Cooke a piece of ham ,frozen a couple of months back.
Did everything it said ,then saw it also said to use with in one month of freezing .So chucked it in the bin!
However have some nice fresh haddock ,so that  will do for tomorrow.
Look after yourselves folks,England V France on in a minute !
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 March 21 18:44 GMT (UK) »
MH - do hope you get your trip to NZ later in the year.... such a beautiful place loved all our trips there ....
Lovely to have special deliveries too!

Annette - Macy and Darcy are growing up so fast, don’t they look such a sweet pair and good that your nerve has some valuable help from her older daughter.. thank you for sharing these pictures with us all...

Viktoria- that quote just seems so typical of the NHS... wonder if who ever writes it actually reads it back to see if it makes any sense! Almost laughable.. I’m sure the ham would have been ok as it was frozen then cooked.... have to say I never worry about things like that... still here!
I do get ticking off from my daughter for things I have in the fridge... so always check dates b4 she comes to visit otherwise it would all end up in the bin! I keep telling her she’s still here what’s her problem 😂😂...

England v France ... good game with the right outcome in the last minutes phew!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK