Author Topic: John Thomas Jutsum , 1802 transported 1829  (Read 860 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
John Thomas Jutsum , 1802 transported 1829
« on: Saturday 13 March 21 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello , I have just discovered that one of my Jutsum family John Thomas Jutsum b. 1802  of Devon via London was transported from London in 1829 to Van Dieman land as Tasmania was known .He stole a milk jug ( debatable as he was to inherit three properties in 1833 on the death of his aunt ) . He was married in London to Ann Fulcher ( she went on to have three children with his brother ) and without her death he married Maria Barker ( also a transportee)  in 1837/39 . He was transported on the Surrey .
I know nothing about Australian convict transportees and would like any help to find out what happened to him , Did he die a young man in Australia , did he have  children in Australia . did he become a free man , did he go back to England. Any help pointing me at sites which deal with these people would be fantastic , thanks Fred .m
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomas Jutsum , 1802 transported 1829
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 21 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Launceston Advertiser 8July1841 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/84753326 (3rd column 2nd last notice)
CAUTION to the Public against Trusting my Wife, Maria Jutsum, better known by the name of Maria Barker, she leaving me without any provocation, I will not be answerable for debts that she may contract,
JOHN JUTSUM,
Painter, Glazier, and Paper Hanger, George-St.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 21 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Oh my , this is all very interesting because I have seen that Ann Jutsum nee Fulcher his wife that went on eventually to marry his brother inherited his funds on his “ death” earlier than that . How interesting . Would it be possibile there are two John Jutsum . One John Thomas Jutsum and one just John Jutsum transported to Van Dieman land , I am going to check my dates exactly and confirm with you all . That makes very interesting and confusing reading ,,, ty Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 March 21 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Some Tasmanian newspaper items.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 March 21 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Conflicting dates for his death.
I think there must be a clerical mistake with the year of his death.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 March 21 07:15 GMT (UK) »
1824 Classified Advertising.
17Dec1824 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/1090437 (last column)
Same 24Dec1824 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/1090451 (last column)
John Jutsum leaving the Colony on the Denmark Hill, requests Claims to be presented.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 March 21 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi from my copy of the  family will which specifies my William Cook Jutsum being the father of my( supposed ) John Thomas Jutsum  he was born in 1802 ,married Ann Fulcher and was  sent to Tasmania on the Surrey  in 1829 . BUT ... this second John Jutsum in 1824 could account for the different dates of marriages and deaths of the John Jutsums if it is possible that he returned to Australia at a later date . Mine did seem a fairly straight forward line I thought but now I am getting very confused . One of the questions is if Ann Fulcher inherited that small sum in 1831/2 on his “ death “ why did she wait until the Oct 1/4  in 1841 to marry the brother , I think I need pen and paper and do a time line ,thanks from a very confused Fred .

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 March 21 07:35 GMT (UK) »
The snip i posted was the probate calendar 1858. I think his death has been copied incorrectly,  or misread, and perhaps the correct death was in 1852. The 5 confused for a 3.
However i have not found a death yet in Australia.