Author Topic: Wedding Photo, Newcastle Upon Tyne UK - please help me date  (Read 799 times)

Offline louise19750

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wedding Photo, Newcastle Upon Tyne UK - please help me date
« on: Saturday 13 March 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello

This is an old family wedding photo that we are trying to date.  Taken in Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK.  Thinking perhaps it was a double wedding.

On the reverse it is a postcard, but no identifying photographer marks.

Many thanks in advance,
Louise

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Photo, Newcastle Upon Tyne UK - please help me date
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 March 21 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a  photo with similar wedding outfits. It's dated 1938.

Add - it looks like bridesmaid, groom, bride, bride, groom, bridesmaid
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 21 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise and welcome to Rootschat, I thought it could be into the 1940s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 21 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh apologies, for not welcoming you, Louise. I was so taken by the similarity to my cousin's wedding photo.

I've just checked on BMD and it was Q4, 1938, so could span into 1940-ish.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 March 21 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Ahoy Gadget, you've got me puzzling over your order of service here, I think the bridesmaids are on the flanks, so, bridesmaid, groom & bride, groom & bride, bridesmaid.  Of course, I'm likely wrong, however, whilst looking closely at it I automatically sorted the minor damage, minute cropping too, otherwise the same and it's available for upload if the OP desires it mended., cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 March 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes- got the second groom wrong - it's BM, G1, B1, G2, B2, BM.

:)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 March 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Just for comparison...here is one of mine taken 1943.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 March 21 14:43 GMT (UK) »
There was a period in late 1930s that  many brides wore hats rather than veils (a la Duchess of Windsor) . My cousin's bride wore a hat and dress that was very similar to these.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 March 21 15:44 GMT (UK) »
It think it could be either Gadget, on reading up, the fashion for weddings didn't alter much between the late 30s and early 40s which were the war years. I know that the headdress in the photo I posted was passed down to her and the gown was made from parachute silk.
Carol