Author Topic: William Smith b1890  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Smith b1890
« on: Saturday 13 March 21 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I have put posts before re hubbies Grandfather,  well something has come to light that is a strong possibility but I need help with as so much wrong on Censuses etc.

This is the Scenario,  One of my Hubby's matches is Descendant of Ernest Smith, Parents Rhoda and Silas Smith, Silas was born in Amersham, 1847.  Ernest had a brother called William b 1890 who I believe could be hubbies Grandfather,  the match said her mum had told her this,  William was know by the family apparently as William Brown (changed his name) no questions were asked but they suspect due to a previous Marriage (this would perhaps fit in) When I looked up (if the correct one) he Married a Norah Churn in 1912 but she died in 1915 I think,  Hubbies  Grandfather William married his Gran in 1916 so possible then he left in 1933 from Marital home in East Ham, Essex.  I am trying to piece together to see if absolutely correct to be Hubbies Grandfather. William Brown (Smith) apparently resided in Bordon, Hampshire with partner Rose who they believe he never married, they had a son Dennis,  which is strange as Hubbies Father is a Dennis Smith.  People have said the attached photos are of the same Person but many years apart.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith b1890
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hubbies  Grandfather William married his Gran in 1916 so possible

As Smith or Brown?  Have you got that marriage?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Married as Smith in 1912 and 1916 if the scenario is correct the apparently was known as William Brown, yes have marriage cert,  he was living at hubbies Grans home so no evidence there.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:48 GMT (UK) »

One of my Hubby's matches is Descendant of Ernest Smith, Parents Rhoda and Silas Smith, Silas was born in Amersham, 1847. 
Ernest had a brother called William b 1890 who I believe could be hubbies Grandfather,  the match said her mum had told her this, 

William was know by the family apparently as William Brown (changed his name) no questions were asked but they suspect due to a previous Marriage (this would perhaps fit in)

When I looked up (if the correct one) he Married a Norah Churn in 1912 but she died in 1915 I think, 

Hubbies  Grandfather William married his Gran in 1916 so possible then he left in 1933 from Marital home in East Ham, Essex. 

I am trying to piece together to see if absolutely correct to be Hubbies Grandfather.

William Brown (Smith) apparently resided in Bordon, Hampshire with partner Rose who they believe he never married, they had a son Dennis,

William Smith (22) son of Silas married Norah Churn at St Johns Church, Woking in 1912.

They had the following children

SMITH, WILLIAM  JAMES     mmn CHURN 
GRO Reference: 1913  Dec Quarter in GUILDFORD  Volume 02A  Page 163

SMITH, LOUISA       mmn CHURN 
GRO Reference: 1915  March Quarter in GUILDFORD  Volume 02A  Page 163
Death Mar qtr 1915 
Smith    Norah    age 22    Guildford    2a   201

Louisa also died under the same reference
Smith    Louisa    0    Guildford    2a   201

I see William J. also died in infancy
Deaths Jun 1915   
Smith    William J   
age 1   
Guildford    2a   137
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:55 GMT (UK) »

Hubbies  Grandfather William married his Gran in 1916 so possible then he left in 1933 from Marital home in East Ham, Essex. 

Do you have this marriage certificate

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Ah thanks Rosie so looks like Norah died in child birth,  how strange if my scenario is correct he went on to marry Alan’s Gran and named the first child William James also,  wonder what happened to the children, will have to check 👍

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 March 21 17:00 GMT (UK) »
The children of the first marriage both died.  Do you have his next marriage certificate

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 March 21 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes Rosie have marriage cert for William and Alan’s Gran.  Do you think the photos are the same Person?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 March 21 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I cannot see the photos that clearly.  What was the name of the lady he married in 1916