Author Topic: Slave records in Barbados  (Read 163 times)

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Slave records in Barbados
« on: Saturday 13 March 21 14:52 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor, James Pairman, was Postmaster General in Barbados from 1812 to shortly before his death in 1845. In 1826 he declared the purchase of a number of slaves, 17 of whom he then sold to Helen Pairman, who I think was his daughter, born about 1810. She had a sister, Elizabeth Christian Pairman, who is described at her marriage as 'free coloured'. I can find no marriage for James, either in the UK or Barbados,nor can I find a record of their births. Am I right in assuming that the girls were the result of a partnership with a black slave/free woman, acknowledged by him?
My questions: Were births, marriages and deaths  among the slave population recorded, and if so, where?
When an owner freed a slave, was that recorded in any way - and if so, where?
Were slaves always given the surname of their owner? The only surnames recorded for James in the slave registers are those whose names are not Pairman.
Hicks, Thorburn, Bennett, Millar, Parsons

Online iluleah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Slave records in Barbados
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 March 21 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. I had just thought to look in Family Search myself, and the other site is a useful guide to the registers. That gives me something to get my teeth into!
Hicks, Thorburn, Bennett, Millar, Parsons