Author Topic: A bit of a challenge...  (Read 2564 times)

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of a challenge...
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 March 21 19:59 GMT (UK) »
I had a go and abandoned after an hour or so! I'm impressed that you're all persisting.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 March 21 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Some good restorations here with the poor photo, having  said that ! I wonder if the lady in the photo is wearing a large brimmed hat at a steeper angle, squashing part of her hair out /down and similar to the lady in Jill Eaton's member photo  or even the same lady or relative of ?? in the same time frame.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 March 21 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Some good restorations here with the poor photo, having  said that ! I wonder if the lady in the photo is wearing a large brimmed hat at a steeper angle, squashing part of her hair out /down and similar to the lady in Jill Eaton's member photo  or even the same lady or relative of ?? in the same time frame.
It's very possible she could be wearing a large-brimmed hat or the hair is tied back.
Here's a tone boost for others to use or to help identify some of the detail.
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 March 21 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I would say no. It seems to be surface marks. None of the restorers, who've examined the image in detail and at a large magnification, have identified this. The white diagonal mark ends abruptly in mid head. 

Here is a snip of the original image that Jill put up. I've made no adjustments apart from decreasing the size.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 March 21 13:45 GMT (UK) »
i agree Gadget its most likely not a hat but if it is a out brim edge of the hat mark seems to be consistent ? in a vague circumference  even as it near lines up as it disappears behind the neck & lines up the other side reappearing, ? 
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 March 21 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I don't see a hat at all....only damage.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 March 21 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I have been attempting to find the hat and I'm reconstructing it as how it might be in dobo's eyes.  I'm not convinced but am being open minded.

I'm part way through and will put up a version when finished.

Note that I've only just seen Dobos' orange lines. My reconstruction is similar but not the same, especially on the left.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 March 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I thought her eyes would be more shaded if she was wearing a hat.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 March 21 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Its the funny shaped hair outline on other members images that made me think a hat maybe on her head at made me think a hat !  :-\