Author Topic: Trying to find if an inquest was held  (Read 747 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Trying to find if an inquest was held
« on: Sunday 14 March 21 06:31 GMT (UK) »
My OH's grandmother died 20 July 1958, and was buried 19 Sept 1958.

This would indicate that there was an inquest by the coroner for there to be such a delay before she was buried. Can anyone let me know how to go about finding out if and where an inquest would have been held.

Her name was Annie Huthnance, nee Hamilton, born 11 March 1875 at Murrurundi NSW

At the time of her death, she was living at Pittwater Road Collaroy, her husband having died in 1954.

I have looked at the NSW Archives, but could not work out if there were any records of inquests at that period of time.

Any assistance would be very gratefully accepted.

A Chesters

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find if an inquest was held
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 21 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, according to her funeral notice it was held on the 22 July, not sure where you got the info of 19 Sept from but going by the below notice it was wrong??

Sydney Morning Herald Archive,
Tuesday, July 22, 1958
HUTHNANCE.—The Relatives and Friends or the late ANNIE HUTHNANCE and Family are Invited to attend her Funeral; to leave St. Giles' Church of England. Greendale street Greenwich, This Day after a service commencing at 2 p.m.for tho Northern Suburbs Crematorium. .

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 March 21 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps that September date reflects when the plaque comemorating her life was installed at the crematorium.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 March 21 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.

giblet, thank you for finding that notice, I had not seen it before.

Neale, thank you for that information, I will have to follow it up.

JM, she was buried in a family plot, with her daughter in 1925, her husband in 1954, and she in 1958.
The information I obtained originally came from Macquarie Park Cemetery was:
Buried at Macquarie Park Cemetery 19 Sept 1958
Methodist Monumental, Section C4, Position 0035
which is where the confusion arises.

I might have to go out to the cemetery and find the grave and take a photo to see just what it says.

Again many thanks to all of you

AC

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 March 21 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi AC,

I have a first cousin who succumbed to polio in the 1950s.  Northern Suburbs Crematorium for her service.  Her plaque and her ashes were installed with her grandparents graves in Cumnock some four months after her funeral service at St Johns, Gordon and then at the crematorium.  I was not yet in High School, I was sent to Sydney by the mail train, unaccompanied, to attend her service.  It was the first funeral I had ever attended.  I sat with my Auntie in the very front row, My uncle was unable to get back for the ceremony.  A lasting memory.

I have just now, after reading your reply looked further to see where 19 September 1958 is actually mentioned.  I have found it.   https://nmclm.com.au/find-a-loved-one/?site_id=6037   The date of the service is recorded as 19-09-1958 for Annie HUTHNANCE, with her date of death as 20-07-1958.   

Giblet's post clearly shows the funeral service commenced at St Giles C of E, Greenwich and then to Northern Suburbs Crematorium.    So may I suggest that there's no confusion, your OHs Gran was cremated after a C of E service 22 July 1958, and she is memoralised in the Methodist section C4, Grave 0035 with the stone or plaque recording her passing being registered in the official records as at 19 September 1958.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 March 21 05:15 GMT (UK) »
JM, thank you for that information. That will explain the problem it has caused me. I had not seen the notice that giblet had found. It explains the problem I have had.

Doing some more searching, I have found a picture of the memorial, which includes her daughter, husband and a sister.

I will post it on the photo board to see if they can clean it up.

AC

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 March 21 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you seen the photos on "Find a grave"   
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/145523125/annie-huthnance
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/145523126/cecil-joseph-huthnance
best photo of headstone on cecils

they are much clearer than the one on the Macquarie Park  Cemetery Website

Cass
modified added cecils details

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 00:05 GMT (UK) »
CassT: thank you very much for that information.

They certainly are better than the cemetery ones.

AC