Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 13th March  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 13th March
« on: Sunday 14 March 21 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Saturday was a bad day for me. It started off okay, went out for my usual walk, moved a couple of my paintings around, did a little bit of work to my tonal sketch. It went downhill after that.

At lunchtime I spilt a full bowl of red hot soup into my lap, scalding the tops of my legs and groin and also a couple of fingers. I dashed into the kitchen, desperately pulled off my jeans and the long sweater I had on over a thin top, then upstairs. Took the shower head down and sat in the bath while I directed cool water over the scalded areas. I was trembling from the shock and although I knew I should do it for twenty minutes I only managed about ten, I was shivering and needed to lie down. I got into bed wearing the thin top, socks and a warm dressing gown. After a while I took a couple of paracetamol. I thought I'd calmed down and just wanted to hear a friendly voice so I phoned my friend L. She was out for a walk with another friend, when she asked if I was okay I tried to answer but nothing came out. She realised the answer was no, I became tearful but assured her I just wanted to hear a friendly voice and had done so, she said she would ring me a bit later.

I felt calmer after hearing her voice, got myself a cup of tea and was reading in bed, felt quite exhausted. Some time later the doorbell rang, I quickly slipped on some loose joggers and took off my dressing gown. When I opened the door it was my friend. I started getting tearful when I told her what had happened but her presence even at a distance really helped me. She'd brought me a bunch of daffodils too.  After she left I cleaned up the mess and just spent the rest of the day reading and watching TV. Did an omelette for tea with a slice of bread. Early into bed  didn't think it would be a good idea to get hot water on the affected area so had to forgo my bath.
What a day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 13th March
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 21 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Oh gosh Roobarb!  :'(
How horrible for you.
Glad your friend came to check up on you, and I hope you got some sleep and are feeling a bit restored this morning.
Thinking of you, and sending hugs.  :-*

I only came on to say I hope all Mums everywhere have a bit of a special day today.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 March 21 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MH, I'm fine today thanks, the cold water treatment has worked well. It was such a shock and left me feeling exhausted so I went out like a light last night!

Happy Mothers' Day to you and all the other mums.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 March 21 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Roobarb, it sounds like a big area has been affected .Do you think it worth phoning 111 for advice, ?
I am thinking of secondary infections.
Well ,you kept your head and did the correct thing,which was to minimise the heat under your skin ASAP.
I can see dressings being a problem.

Well two of my children have phoned and Flash  Harry’s daddy and FH himself.
A lovely card via email has come which FH has written himself and has drawn the picture  too.
My son who has not yet phoned will come later but his wife will have gone to the   Crematorium where her parents’ ashes are  .
No plans for today really ,hardly bake now ,have yogs as dessert.
Oooh time was a big Simnel fruit cake decorated with those
abstract shaped pastel coloured fondant creams.
My teeth, even the false ones ,are aching at the thought !

Day brightening up somewhat , but cold.

My hair is all over the place, lots of strong wiry grey ,and still some fine dark brown ,a difficult mix , breaking and coming out too!
Needs a good cut ,very short and all silver ,but—— in its weakened state would bleaching it white damage it further?
I have aired this before and the conclusion was a to get a temporary silver hair colouring spray.
Then  again—- I like that magenta colour!

Son just phoned they are coming just for a few minutes but won’t come in,it is cold standing at the door or even with a coat on outside .
Oooh,reminds me,the Muscari they got me as a little extra present at Christmas are ready to come in ,the fancy jug they were in is in the cupboard .
Better go and assemble that
to show I appreciate them .
Cheerio,Viktoria,

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 March 21 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear Roobarb have just read saturdays diary... you were very sensible in getting cold water on your legs as quickly as possible... what a lovely friend to come and see if you’re ok and bearing flowers too. I’m glad to hear that it’s feeling better today... such a shock to the system too...

Viktoria- lovely to hear from ones children on Mother’s Day...
I have visions of your uncontrollable hair being coloured magenta!

MH - thankyou for your kind words for Mother’s Day... hope you have a nice day too..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 March 21 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ladies. Viktoria, I'm pleased to say there's no blistering and it's almost all back to normal today.

Got to the gold threads amongst the silver stage eh Viktoria? I think the magenta sounds great, if Zandra Rhodes can do it why not you?  :D

Enjoy your day ladies.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 March 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »
So sorry to hear of your scalding, Roobarb, but glad to hear things almost back to normal today.   You've certainly been through the mill lately.

I share your hair frustration, Viktoria - my hairdresser phoned me this week and I have an appointment booked for 12th April (the day they re-open, god willing).

Whilst not a mother, alas, I am also god-mother to my niece and nephew and have always been treated like a mother on Mothers Day which is so special to me.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 March 21 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette. Hope you've had a lovely Mothers' Day too.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 March 21 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Very glad it is much better Roobarb and that many have had visits or contacts
on this day.
Grand daughter also phoned this afternoon.
So that is everyone.
Bought myself a small DVD portable player,so have watched some old ones
this afternoon.Family stuff.
Cheerio folks, Viktoria..

P.S, Census letter arrived, but no form,seemingly I must do it online unless I phone for a form.
 It really does annoy me , the assumption I mean.
I wanted to fill a form in , like all those people I have searched for !
Grrr!
I am annoyed now.!
V.

Well I refuse