Author Topic: Too many redirects  (Read 733 times)

Offline alderjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Too many redirects
« on: Sunday 14 March 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »
On accessing National Archives to download items, when I then sign out I get the error page saying
This page isn't working right now - secure.nationalarchives.gov.uk redirected you too many times.
To fix this issue try clearing your cookies ERR TOO MANY REDIRECTS
I am on Laptop ad have tried via Microsoft Edge and Chrome and have gone in and deleted cookies.
Have also tried on my android phone via Chrome but get same error.
Have accessed site successfully in the past.
Would like advice on how to get rid of the problem.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Too many redirects
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 21 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I right be wrong, but I'm wondering if the message relates to too many Tabs being open and not Cookies.

It might be worth closing all previous open Tabs, excepting the final one, that You have open.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 March 21 10:23 GMT (UK) »
A "redirect" is normally used to move you automatically from an old site to its replacement. For example, until recently if you tried to use the old "Access to Archives", it pushed you straight on to the National Archives "Discovery" search.

If the browser works out that the passing on has gone too many times, there is probably a loop, so you get an error message.

It's not your fault. You don't have editing rights on the website!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline alderjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 April 21 11:24 BST (UK) »
Contacted National Archives webmaster who said hadn't heard of the problem. Suggested I try chrome with incognito access - did that and got same result! Friend suggested I download firefox and try again so I did that and it worked ok. Still no idea why it was happening and on phone too.