Author Topic: Occupants of the house named Brooklyn in Thornton  (Read 1138 times)

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Occupants of the house named Brooklyn in Thornton
« on: Sunday 14 March 21 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out the names of the occupants of a house in 1940. Someone I am researching was  evacuated there from bombed out London. I thought I might be lucky finding them on the 1939 register but as I do not have names I scrolled through pages without success. The house is still there when I looked at online maps and is still called "Brooklyn" on East Lane, Thornton Leicestershire LE67 1TG.

I would be grateful for any tips/suggestions.  Many thanks
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Occupants of the house named Brooklyn in Thornton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 21 12:02 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 March 21 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry did not realise a friend had already posted. On his post there has not been any further hints to take us further to solving this one. Perhaps electoral lists if they are available online, can anyone direct me in the right path please.

I think you cannot search the 1939 register on house addresses so maybe some other records at the local FHS might be available?  Any other sources you might think are available online as I do not live in Leicestershire.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 March 21 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I think you cannot search the 1939 register on house addresses

You can on FindMyPast. As I said on the other thread, the ED letter code is RFCC.  Other properties in East Lane are there, including The Manse and Rock View. East Lane itself is not mentioned though. The addresses are "Bardon Hill" and "Battleflat".

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 March 21 16:29 GMT (UK) »
If it helps, there is an entry in Gilroes Cemetery register for 31 July 1942 for the scattering of the ashes of William Smithurst Allwood aged 74 of "Brooklyn", Thornton.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 March 21 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I reckon this is the right page in the register. If it was done in order along East Lane, Brooklyn would be household 276:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/61596/images/tna_r39_6034_6034i_023

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=tna%2fr39%2f6034%2f6034i%2f023

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 March 21 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Oops, ShaunJ - as I put on the other thread, I think it was household 275 for Brooklyn.  :-[  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 12:39 GMT (UK) »
If it helps, there is an entry in Gilroes Cemetery register for 31 July 1942 for the scattering of the ashes of William Smithurst Allwood aged 74 of "Brooklyn", Thornton.

There was another house named Brooklyn in Thornton, in Markfield Lane, so there is scope for confusing the two.

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to the help of the clever people on RootsChat the mystery has been solved. My friend says......

My grandmother's mother was Sarah Jane Champion. Her sister was Grace Emile Allwood nee Champion so Grace was my grandmother's aunt.

They must have been sisters because:
Sarah Jane Champion b.1848 Father Thomas b.1822 in Bentley Hants. Coachman.  Mother Jane b.1823 in Littlehampton. Sarah-Jane's siblings include among others, Phyllis and William.

Grace Emilie Allwood nee Champion b.1867. (In 1871 census now listed as Emily Champion.) Father Thomas b.1823 in Bentley Hants. Coachman. Mother Jane b.1821 in Littlehampton. Emily's siblings include among others, Phyllis and William.

So when Katie, my grandmother said in her letter "I am staying in Thornton with Aunt and Uncle," this must have been Grace Emile Allwood (nee Champion) and her husband William Allwood.

Thank you all
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton