Author Topic: Good news - but something funny going on  (Read 1030 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Good news - but something funny going on
« on: Sunday 14 March 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
So - we I’m guessing might have a twiglet on our tree that we can’t find the death for. We might be able to guess a time frame and a location but we can’t prove it as nothing quite fits .Well last night I found one of my twigs.
We knew for definite that great uncle Tommy died in 1966 - documented in the family, diary entries saying who’d gone to the funeral etc. However we couldn’t find his wife’s death. Well I did last night. She had remarried in 1954, even though Uncle Tommy was still alive. Her marriage entry even has both her married name and her maiden name listed. So I’m now saving up to buy that marriage certificate! From this it was straightforward to find her death with her date of birth tallying.
So were they divorced or .......
I’d worked out they had separated for the 1939, but thought that might just be work purposes, but following the electoral registers it all clicked into place.
Anyone else like to share a breakthrough and perhaps a bit of a mystery? If not , I was excited last night !
North East of England

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Good news - but something funny going on
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 March 21 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm working on a family tree for a friend of my sister, or rather her husbands tree since I did her own some years ago.   Surname Cox - Walter Thomas Cox had married in 1894, and 1901 and 1911 census confirmed a birth ca.1869 in Norfolk.   No trace of such a person!    After a lot of 'delving' I concluded that he was the illegitimate son of a Sophia Cox who'd married a Jackson in 1870's but no Walter with she and her family in 1881 or indeed anywhere else!   Due to his specific birthplace I believe he was working away from home in 1891 and shown as Walter Jackson.   So, have spent ages trying to find him with Sophia in 1871 but no joy.   However, last night I eventually found them - she was living with her widowed father in South Lopham - transcribed as Cook, although original is Cock - and with them is Walter aged 2.   Indeed, the surname itself has caused umpteen problems.  Sophia herself became Cox and her father is Cox when he died in 1883 but before then the family were always Cock.   So, re. Walter Thomas Cox - he appears to have given himself the second name Thomas - and 1939 register shows a birthdate of 28 Feb. 1869.  A plain Walter Cox was reg'd Mar.qtr.1869 Guiltcross (regn. district for Kenninghall where he was born) - no baptism, no trace in 1871/1881/1891, no death - and having found Walter with Sophia in 1871 (as Cock) I believe this birth entry is him.   I have now ordered the birth certificate to hopefully confirm. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 March 21 20:01 GMT (UK) »
It’s great when you find the elusive ones isn’t it.
North East of England

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 March 21 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I enjoy following the families where there has been a second marriage. It's a bit like solving logic puzzles - When it all clicks together  you get a hit of dopamine.   :) :)

In one of my trees virtually everyone seems to have been married more than once. Some have 3 marriages, and one of those ran away to Canada to "live in sin" with a fourth woman. His wife, left in Sheffield, "forgot" about her second husband when they married in 1896, along with the fact that he had previously been married to her sister, which would have been OK after 1907, but was then still illegal.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.