Author Topic: Unknown child on tree  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown child on tree
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 March 21 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I've never seen anything like this before.
Do uou know who she is living with on census

She is a teenager in the home of the Hutchins on the 1939 Register (in Sussex)
born Marion May Marshall 1925 Lambeth and married to Charles D Stevenson 1957
Westminster
mmn was Williams
maybe an evacuee

She won't be on any viewable census nor the next available which is 1921 as she was born in 1925.

You need to order her BC (for both parents names) & MC to find any other info. although her mms doesn't fit with being a sibling to your g/mother.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 March 21 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't confirm that finding but she is on census with my great nan and her sister.

It was not a census, It was the register that was used to issue ration cards for WW2 and later used by the NHS who updated it until the early 1990's. The NHS would have amended her surname from Marshall to Stevenson.  Many children were evacuated from London and other cities and would be shown on that register staying with unrelated families.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 March 21 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Registered June quarter 1925, she would have been 14 and of working age when the register was taken.

Mike

Offline Grace McMillan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 March 21 00:18 GMT (UK) »
The weird thing is she is living with my great nan and her son and no mention of my nan or father.
Grace Olivia McMillan!x

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 March 21 11:46 GMT (UK) »
The weird thing is she is living with my great nan and her son and no mention of my nan or father.

It’s not weird at all, as has been explained, if you cannot identify her as a family member then it’s probable that she was an evacuee.
My husband has two brothers in his family who were evacuated, one is in the West Country, the other is in Norfolk. Similarly a daughter of another family is living on a small holding in Sussex

You also have two redacted records, could one of those be your grandmother.

Another example from my husbands family...Married couple, husband frequently worked and lived away from home...so, he is not with his family in 1939 but lodging with a family in the North of England.  If you don’t know the situation you would wonder why he was living in Staffordshire and not with his family.  Anyone looking at the Staffordshire family might wonder who the strange man is living with their relative.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 March 21 13:05 GMT (UK) »

There appears to be 2 people redacted in the household (probably the above) on the 1939 register which happens if death registrations haven't been found or they're still alive.

If you have their death details you can apply to have them opened...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"