Author Topic: Diary - Sunday > 14th March  (Read 529 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday > 14th March
« on: Monday 15 March 21 08:32 GMT (UK) »
I spoke to both my boys which was a joy.
Hope it was a better or good day for everyone, regardless, given that it wasn't mother's day in most other countries.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday > 13th March
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 March 21 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Telephone calls from both sons (they both rang at the same time so we had to juggle the phones to get the best of the messages) . Yes Mother's Day Australia is 9th May so Andrew was not quite sure if Sunday was the right day to call- his brother Nick always used to remind him!
I had anticipated that he might not be quite on the ball and ordered some flowers from all the family, which had a nice touch as the card showed two cuddly Koalas ,OH favourite Oz animals.
Mark also organised flowers.
I did steak and chips for lunch as we couldn't go out and then our friend Mary came around for a cup of tea and chat later in the afternoon. I think I mentioned previously that her husband Gordon died before Christmas and we have her in our little bubble. Very helpful for all of us.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday > 14th March
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 March 21 09:37 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely thing to do Jeff.... All the anniversaries are so hard.
Juggling phones sounds like fun!!  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 March 21 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear you both had calls from offspring. Very thoughtful of you to order flowers Jeff and cooking lunch too, what a star!

Nothing like that in my day but of course it always makes me think of my late mother. This was how it went for me:

A better day than Saturday although not without its challenges. Felt much better, my skin had recovered from its scalding and I was able to have a shower.

Had put the dishwasher on a full cycle, I noticed when it was down to 20 minutes that it didn't seem to be doing anything. Tried the turn off and on, it didn't work. Googled it, an article mentioned reset buttons, had a look at the machine and there is one but I didn't know how to use it. Went digging for the manual, by the time I found it the countdown was at zero. When I emptied it the dishes were clean and dry. Took out the filter and gave it a good clean.  Decided to wait till later and try a quick cycle.

Out for a walk, wasn't quite as soggy as yesterday. Grey skies all day. Had some lunch when I returned, put the dishes and the grill pan into the dishwasher and turned it on to the quick cycle, normally takes about half an hour. It ran right through without any problems. Will see what happens next time.

Did those boring tasks of cleaning the grill pan that the dishwasher hadn't managed to get clean. Was busy all afternoon doing chores. On Friday I'd had a problem with the printer, it only printed about an inch of either side of a picture, the middle was completely missing. Decided to see if I could rectify that. Aligned the print heads as recommended, that didn't work. Got fed up of trying so left it for another day.
Everything seems to be acting up lately, I think I must be a jinx.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 March 21 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Frustrating for you Roobarb..... I think Caroline started it!!
Hope we don't all catch it.  :-\

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 March 21 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the dishwasher felt as it was Mothering Sunday it ought to have a day off!
Glad it resolved itself.

Jeff ,so kind of you ,I found helping others when I was in a dark place has been very cathartic.
I did not,as with you, do it for myself, but found it truly helpful,as those being helped know how you feel and you can understand their feelings
A sort of keeping faith with those who have died.
What a lovely way to commemorate someone ,even just for yourselves.

Sunny morning and have put the miniature daffodils in an outdoor pot on the step.
The Lily of the Valley need planting out .
Oh, as for magenta hair,perhaps blue\ lavender might be better,match my varicose veins . ;D
Well, time for a cuppa folks .
Glad so many had a nice day yesterday, any who were sad ,just read the posts, so much care and thoughtfulness ,and it doesn’t  stay in these
“pages” ,anyone can have some if they so choose.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 March 21 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Frustrating for you Roobarb..... I think Caroline started it!!
Hope we don't all catch it.  :-\

Thanks for that MH, but you’re right I do seem to have had one problem or another with appliances! Keeping fingers crossed it’s all come to an end now...🤞🤞

Sorry Roobarb if I’ve jinxed your dishwasher... keeping fingers crossed it stays ok! Printer too... know what that’s like too!

Jeff what a thoughtful chap you are I’m sure your wife was most appreciative of receiving flowers and dinner cooked for her...

Viktoria- perhaps if you can’t make up your mind re hair colour you could try a rainbow effect and have each colour in graduations especially if it’s long 🌈 😂😂
You are such a thoughtful person and I’d love to have you as my neighbour...

Sunday was definitely a sunshine and showers day here...
my daughters card was a beautiful abstract painting of the Sancerre region - my favourite wine, she’s such a dear...
After breakfast I had a call from her and was informed they were off to Kew in the  afternoon weather permitting... their local go to place... the boys ( or Dad really) bought her a new set of scales... will have to have a word with him it’s not really a MD gift in my opinion and I could hear the disappointment in her voice!
A text from my son as living in Oz he wouldn’t know the relevance of the date here...
They’d had a party with 50 people in their garden to celebrate DiL’s birthday and their wedding anniversary... he said they felt very lucky when he knows what our lives are like currently!
Usual Sunday... newspaper reading...
Impossible to get out as it was rain on and off!
Played scrabble and couldn’t believe OH had three times using all his tiles in one game gaining 150 points on top of the score! I told him he could have been a bit kinder as it was Mother’s Day! He said I wasn’t his mother so it didn’t count 😱😱
Dinner was roast pork with all the usual...
We finished the last of the beautiful macarons my daughter bought me...
Watched final of pottery Throwdown and thought the person that won deserved it... although they are all very talented and we liked two of the Art Deco party sets they made.
OH watched the final round of golf and I read...
The end of another day... usually spent with our daughter and her MiL hope we will be doing that again soon.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 March 21 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm loving the idea of rainbow 🌈 coloured hair..... I just might have a go at that. :D

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 March 21 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Can we have a photo MH?  ;D ;D

Caroline, I forgot all about the Pottery Throwdown final, will have to watch it soon. Strange that I forgot because I have really enjoyed this series, I think my mind was all over the place.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales