Author Topic: NZDF Military Uniforms  (Read 417 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
NZDF Military Uniforms
« on: Monday 15 March 21 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to identify two young men in a family portrait who both are in uniform, and both were enlisted in World War 1.  I have looked at their military records on the NZ Archives website, but given that I know very little about ranks, uniforms etc., that wasn't much help to me, so I'm hoping someone here more knowledgeable about such things might be able to assist.

The names of the two men are Alexander Bringans (WW1 9/315a - Army), and Andrew Dewar Bringans (WW1 58670 - Army), and I have attached the photo below.  It is possible that the young man on the left in the photo is Andrew Dewar Bringans, as it appears that he has been "edited" into the photograph, possibly due to the fact that he died in 1922.  But, I'd rather confirm which young man is which if at all possible. Many thanks in advance.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NZDF Military Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 March 21 10:14 GMT (UK) »
The man seated on the left (and as you say edited in) is a sergeant and he is wearing tropical uniform. That must be Alexander who served in Egypt and was an NCO. Andrew served only in Western Europe so it can't be him.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 March 21 19:24 GMT (UK) »
You may also get some identification support from this project:
https://www.facebook.com/OnwardProject

At present they have only indexed this BRINGANS, but that is not to say they don't have breadcrumbs relating to others:
BRINGANS, James Oliver 78548

Index: https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qex/
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 March 21 20:16 GMT (UK) »
The man seated on the left (and as you say edited in) is a sergeant and he is wearing tropical uniform. That must be Alexander who served in Egypt and was an NCO. Andrew served only in Western Europe so it can't be him.

Thank you very much for that.  Makes me wonder why he was edited in, as it was Andrew that died in 1922, and Alexander went on to marry, have children, etc. and was much older when he passed.  But, that is one of those things I guess I will never know :)
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 March 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
You may also get some identification support from this project:
https://www.facebook.com/OnwardProject

At present they have only indexed this BRINGANS, but that is not to say they don't have breadcrumbs relating to others:
BRINGANS, James Oliver 78548

Index: https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qex/

Thank you for making me aware of this project!  I have posted on their page as well, and also hope to submit a photo of my great grandfather who also served but isn't on their index yet :)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 March 21 20:58 GMT (UK) »

Makes me wonder why he was edited in

I am only guessing, perhaps there wasn't a photo of them all, as having photos taken back then were expensive, and someone thought it would be a nice touch to have a photo of them all.   As I said it is only guessing.

I am sure I have seen similar on the Photo Board, where people have been edited into photos of long ago.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk