Author Topic: More HP printer problems  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: More HP printer problems
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine the more expensive printers still available, just the more modest priced ones out of stock.
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 19 March 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
From "The Register", dated yesterday:
----------------------------
Sadly, with impressive speed did not come impressive quality. A glance at the support page for KB5001567 indicates that all is not well in the printing department for Windows 10 users.

"You might get unexpected results when printing from some apps," admitted Microsoft. Not a blue screen of death, but formatting problems, blank labels "from some apps or to some printers" and "elements of the document might print as solid black/color boxes or might be missing, including barcodes, QR codes, and graphics elements, such as logos."

So, while your computer might not freeze when printing, what comes out of the printer for affected users might still be absolute garbage.
----------------------------

The article includes a picture of someone's photo print - with a bug chunk of white in the middle of it. Does it seem familiar?

There's also mention of yet another patch (dated this morning) to address the problem.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/18/windows_printer_still_broken/
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 19 March 21 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb sent me the file a few days back and it printed well on 3 different printers (including an
HP 3in1) and using different papers.

Roobarb uses Wifi to connect to her printer. I printed with a usb conection as my WiFi can sometimes play up.

I've suggested that she tries with a usb connection.

Add - I used 2 different Win 10 machines (both up to date as of Wednesday) and a Mac
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 19 March 21 19:29 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for not updating on this, I was hoping to have tried a number of things when I reported back, particularly Gadget's suggestion of using a USB cable.

Andrew, that's exactly how my picture looks, apart from the beer that is.  ;D

I did try sending the print job from my (Android) tablet and that was actually successful, although the print quality wasn't as good as when it's sent from my laptop. I also printed out the Wifi connection report which stated that the onnection was excellent and no problems found. I haven't yet got round to connecting with a USB cable, I have to psych myself up to these things! My laptop didn't show any updates when I signed on, perhaps it will do so when I turn it off, hopefully that will fix it and I too can break out the beers (or wine)!  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 March 21 17:08 GMT (UK) »
 A  few weeks ago I was having a problem with my HP Deskjet   3 in 1 Printer I followed all the suggestions that were made on here
A couple of weeks later it it all started again rather than bother going through all the rigmarole  I uninstalled everything and then installed it to be used with a USB connection.
Since then it has worked every time I have used it .This suits me as I don't do a lot of printing and to be honest didn't want to buy a replacement for it .

suzilad

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 22 April 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
Well after all this time I have some news. I've been trying to persuade myself to have another go with the printer and do some more tinkering if necessary but hadn't got round to it.
I needed to bite the bullet today as I needed to print a photo for art class tomorrow. I tried it initially with a small version of it in black and white so I wasn't wasting ink if it didn't work. It came out fine and when I tried the full size in colour that worked too. I'm so pleased, no idea why it's working properly now, I can only think that the latest update has corrected it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales