Author Topic: Tragic accident involving two sisters  (Read 3428 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic accident involving two sisters
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 March 21 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Margaret's death was registered in Edinburgh (St Giles) Ref 685/4 1323 and the same would apply as with Catherine's death.

Horrendous accident and a tragedy for the family,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 March 21 20:11 GMT (UK) »
familysearch.org [free] have Scottish records for baptisms but I do not knw how recent they are indexed to.
FS has indexes to Scottish baptisms to 1854, that is, exactly the same as Scotland's People (not surprisingly, since they are both indexing the same set of records). However SP has many that are not included in FS, including dissenting and Roman Catholic records, and some of those do contain more recent baptisms.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 March 21 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Margaret's death was registered in Edinburgh (St Giles) Ref 685/4 1323 and the same would apply as with Catherine's death.
Margaret died in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Would Catherine's not be registered in Bathgate, as that is where she died?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 March 21 22:07 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for the wording of my posts -

Margaret did indeed die in Edinburgh and her death was registered there - as per my post.

Catherine's death was registered in Bathgate as you pointed out Forfarian.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Morning all, I thought I had posted a reply last evening, but evidently not, as I can't see it on here.
My heartfelt thanks to all who have shown interest and posted information so quickly, this I did not expect so soon.
I phoned Anne last evening and she was overjoyed to have all the information on her father's two sisters - her aunts - she only had sketchy information before.   By now her three brothers all living in the Glasgow area, and her sister in Canada, will have this information.
Anne visits  back home several times a year and always pays her respects at the graves she is aware of, now she has another grave to visit.
When she has digested this new information she may well have more questions which will need answers, so I may need your help once again.
I have a Family Tree Maker, to which I am adding Anne's family; any information on her ancestry will be welcome. She is now considering doing a DNA test - I did this several years ago and wowee am I so glad I did; I had a paper trail but now I can back this up with my DNA connections.
Once again, thank you all for your kindness, and the p.m.'s with information and offers of help.
G. south of the border!!
Williams - Llanllyfni Llandwrog Llanrug Bedd Austr.
Jones - Beddgelert/Nantlle
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen
Griffith  - Beddgellert/LLanrug

"This information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Corrin - I.o.M./Bootle/K'dale/Seaforth
Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale
Crookham - Formby Crosby L'pool

Lloyd Dickinson Burgess Threlfall Tarbuck - Lancs

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 10:33 GMT (UK) »
As I said in an earlier post there doesn't seem to be a headstone on Billion Graves (most if not all the headstones are photographed). Glasgow Road Cemetery is in three parts Paulville the oldest; Johnston and "Extension". Johnston is facing you as you drive up from Glasgow Road and the grave is section T lair 127. I'm not sure about Johnston but the last time I visited Paulville the headstones had markers on the base showing the grave number (section/lair). Section T is the second along from the entrance in the centre.

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Carlineric,
Thank for this info re the grave, I have just copied and pasted your post and sent it to Anne.
I have been amazed at the interest and kindness of folk who use this site/board in helping us in our quest for information.
G
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen

Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 11:46 GMT (UK) »
A very generous lady contacted me by p.m. and has used her own credits on ScotslandPeople to buy the two death certificates with the P.F. details......................again I am astounded by the kindness I have encountered in the quest for information on the deaths of Margaret and Catherine Welsh. Thank you doesn't seem enough, but it is said with sincererity.
G.
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen

Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Back in the day, reference to an "engine" would have been to imply what we now refer to as a (steam-powered) traction engine which ran on the roads. A heavy vehicle on its own regardless of the load it was hauling. Most likely a single person driver operating, though a fireman to load coal etc would also be on board. From the (discounted) report of children playing on the tow-bar, it suggests that at some stage somebody had witnessed some misbehaviour during the passage on the road by the vehicle. A not untypical feature really, when considering what could also occur with other slow moving vehicles in the street-scene. Until the early 1950s many council's would regularly clean the streets by using a truck which sprayed water from multiple taps on the rear bumper.