Author Topic: Peter Heely  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Heely
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know Capetown, its off to bed for me, take care and thanks. :)

Regards,
Janet :)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Jan, I think you will be finding out a great deal about Peter Hiley of Bristol - who seems to have a very wealthy man.....

Had another go on Google (just put in 'whitetawer peter hiley Bristol).....

-----

Discovery, national archives

Held at Birmingham: Archives, Heritage and Photography Service....

Date: 1647
Counterpart of assignment of lease from Nathaniell Cole of Bristol, sopemaker, and Thomas Elbridge of the same place, merchant, executors of the will of John Elbridge, late of the same place, merchant, deased and John Pope of the same place, sopemaker, to Peter Hiley of Bristol, whitetawer of the manor of Chellworth alias Chelworthie? Chelworth, Wilts the manor house, messuages, land an appurtenances.

----

and on another website

Anne HILEY formerly WHITE
born 1652 in Bath, Somerset, England
daughter of John White and Anne (Walter) White

Wife of Peter Hiley - married 1674 in Bristol, Gloucestershire
mother of: Haviland John HILEY

Biography

Anne White was born in 1652 and baptised on the 19 July 1652 at Bath Abbey.  She was the eldest daughter of John White of Bristol, Merchant and Ann Walter his wife.

In 1674, a marriage settlement was signed between Peter Hiley the Elder, of the City of Bristol, Whitetawer of the first parte, Peter Hiley the Younger, of the same city, Merchant (second son of the said Peter Hiley the Elder) and Ann White of the same city, singlewoman, one of the daughters of Anne White of the same city, widow by John White of the said city, Merchant, her late husband deceased, and the second part etc. etc.

then:  this seems to link on the net to

Memorials of Elder John WHITE, One of the First Settler of Hartford

---

Listed also at the end of the Quakers Minutes -

PEARCE, Thomas, Grocer of Thomas p; son of Thomas PEARCE of Bathford; m Joan, dau of Peter HILEY 25 March 1670 4 s 5 da 1671-86 - sufferer 1681-2

---

Looking at Family Search, Peter HILEY's

birth of Rachel Hiley 31 October 1662 - parents: Peter & Jane Hiley (assume should read Joan)

---

Family Search has a baptism of

Petrus HILEY - 3 July 1627  - English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, parents: Willielmi HILEY anr Mariae

----

I do belong (free to join) the Forest of Dean Family History forum and

William & Mary - had these children christened at English Bicknor
John - 1622
Peter - 1627

However, if I use the SOUNDEX on the Forest of Dean website for HILEY in English Bicknor - there are many more 'hits'

surname variations: HEILEY - HEILY, HEYLEY, HALLIE etc, some have father: William

Marriage 24 June 1605  - English Bicknor

William HEILEE - father's surname: HEILEE
Mary GAMOND

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Capetown thanks again for your information, I had a read of the same book last night before I called it quits, couldn't find the baptism of Joane (Thomas Pearce's wife) and both of their burial dates, my eye's a getting very tired searching. I will try again this morning. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-[

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Just trying to summarise so far....

Peter HILEY - married Joan YEAMANS ...assume reading the Minutes in 1664 .... appears to be his second marriage.

They had a daughter Rachel - (whom in Peter's Will, mentions a Margarett Clutterbuck - Widow - to look after her..... until she reaches the age of eighteen years)

-----

Peter's Will (1675) mentions.....

His Oldest Son : JOHN - ****
John HILEY also a whittawer - died in 1680 and his Will is also on Ancestry - and mentions his wife
Elizabeth

Son: Peter HILEY - married Ann WHITE 1674 (Bristol)

Joan HILEY - married Thomas PEARCE in 1670  Reading the 1675 Will - he does mentions Joan PIERCE and leaves her £5 (I think) old writing is difficult to read.

Elizabeth HILEY - mentioned in his Will - is married to a SKINNER

Ellinor HILEY - again mentioned in his Will - is married to a WILKES  ****

Anne HILEY - is married to a HAWBRIDGE.  ****

----

Peter HILEY appears to have property all the the places - and could have lived anywhere before Bristol.

-----

They family may have come from English Bicknor, Gloucestershire.

----

Ancestry, Bristol, England, C of E Baptisms, marriages and Burials 1538 - 1812

On Page 14 of 220 - Bristol St James - B/M/B 1640-1687 is the baptism on 16 March (needs to try and find the year) - is Peter the son of Peter HILLEY

Anne HILLEY - baptised 2 October 1639 - St James, Bristol, father : Peter HILLEY

--

Eleanor HILLEY - baptism, 21 July 1636
St James, Bristol, England

father: Peter HILLEY

----

same church, St James, Bristol

John HILLEY - baptised - 6 October 1647 - father Peter HILLEY

(as yet can't see any more baptisms father: Peter after 1647

-----

Same Church (St James)

Mary HILEY - October 1723, father: Peter HILEY

----

Seems Peter HILEY became a Quaker later on.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Evening Capetown thanks so much for your help, I searched Ancestry this morning (subscription almost gone again) and found that someone had posted Peter Hiley born 6/7/1598 Poole Dorset, his father William 48 and his mother Ellenor 38. He married a Joane Yeamans in 1633 in Bristol Gloucestershire and had 8 children, he died in 1675 Bristol. I have saved a lot from this information, mentioned that Joane who married Thomas Pearce was born in 1649 Bristol Gloucestershire she died in 1677, she must have been a twin because another daughter Elizabeth was born in 1649 and she died in 1675 the same year as father Peter Hiley. :-[ Some of the records from Ancestry are impossible to read but I have saved them anyhow, time for sleep again, once again thanks for your help. I will search for Thomas Pearce's father Thomas who came from Bathford Somerset. :)
Regards,

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 12:54 GMT (UK) »

With Lockdown (now getting very boring!!)  have extra time on my hands, like the rest of the World and our English Spring is very cold and a biting wind!

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Checking on National Archives and should be on Ancestry, is a Will dated 20 December 1655  for Thomas Pearce of Bathford Somerset, Prerogative Court of Canterbury. 

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Capetown, its cold and rainy here at the moment the front lawn is squishy when you walk on it, I should be safe up on the South Hill away from the river. :) Thanks for your help I read the records downloaded from Ancestry and it appears that Peter Hiley's first wife was Joane Yeamans 1623-1687 this means that she outlived Peter. :-[ His father William Hiley 22/6/1611 passed away age 61 1550-1611. His mother Ellenor 1560-1639 age 79. :-\ I will search later thanks again. :)

Regards,

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 March 21 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon Capetown while searching for Joane Yeamans found her parents John and Blannche who left a will and mentioned Joane Hiely (Yeomans) at Precinets Castle this family is so interesting I don't think I can stop, trying to follow and understand places and what they mean. :-[ I have printed out all my posting so that I can check and read through, once again thank you for your help. :-\
Regards,
Janet :-[