Author Topic: Court-Martial and the Royal Chelsea Hospital:  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Court-Martial and the Royal Chelsea Hospital:
« on: Tuesday 16 March 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi All…

Can someone tell me if an NCO in the Guards (following Waterloo) was Court-Martialled and sentenced to 300 lashes, plus a series of additional punishments like deprivation of future promotion and privileges…, would that ‘privilage deprivation’ include a bed at the Royal Chelsea Hospital when his service came to an end ? 

Thanks…, Iain. 
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Court-Martial and the Royal Chelsea Hospital:
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 15:05 GMT (UK) »
The Corporal in question was George Cadwallader, 2nd Battalion 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards. (I don’t have his birth details)  He was reduced to the ranks, but was obviously a good soldier.  He must have been about 22 years old at Waterloo. (perhaps 3 years service) 
However, in 1830 when Captain Delemé Seymore Davies became Regimental Adjutant at Wellington Barracks, one of the Officers in George’s Battalion, presented a letter to RHQ with a demand for clemency.  For which I believe was accepted.  No idea if he ever made it to Chelsea.

In the meantime, I’m trying to understand if this demand for clemency, 15 years later, meant that the 1815 ‘deprivation of privileges,’ lasted all of George’s career. 
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain
Am curious about the 300 lashes. It is excessively severe, especially if he was a good soldier, and represents a total I genuinely doubt any man would survive.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 10:20 GMT (UK) »
There's an army file for Waterloo veteran Private George Cadwallader, 115, 3rd Foot Guards which shows that he was discharged to pension in 1836 (an out-pensioner). "A very good and efficient soldier, trustworthy and sober". No record of him ever having been a Corporal. No mention of a court martial.

Born Wolverhampton circa 1791, served 1813 to 1836, died 14 June 1848 aged 56.

Were there two George Cadwalladers with 3rd Foot Guards at Waterloo?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 15:17 GMT (UK) »
q98…, thank you.  I agree, however, soldiers in those days were morally able to withstand more than our 2021 Comrades.  I have multiple images of Waterloo Courts-Martial pages from Kew, and nearly all of them mention 300 lashes.  Naked, tied to a scaffold of halberds while controlled by the Drum Major, and delivered by a Drummer.  Following the punishment, the Drummers were reported as being splattered from head-to-foot in blood. 
The sad thing with these two trials were that they were unjust and both men were almost certainly scapegoats for a long list of tactical errors by a senior officer.  It’s all in my book, and I intend recovering their unjustly confiscated Waterloo Medals via an MoD Court of Appeal next year.

Shaun…, absolutely great.  That’s all new because I’ve been without an Ancestry membership for quite some time. 
You added a ‘?’ to your last phrase.  With a name like that, surely there couldn’t be another in the battalion.  In the meantime, the dates you provide fit well, meaning that for the battle, he’d have been 24-years old, a typical age for an NCO.  As I mentioned earlier, before demob, his Regimental Adjutant wiped his slate clean, providing him with a service record indicating ‘trustworthy and sober,’ tallying with his restriction of gin.  Rare for a soldier in those days !  However, I'm surprised by the demob date.  That tells me a lot. 

In fact, there were two men punished that day, the other was his Sergeant, Thomas Corbett.  Thomas left the Army but George remained.  Both were also deprived of their titles as ‘Waterloo Men,’ (no medals) Waterloo Money, no promotion and restriction of privileges. (that could have also included gin – I believe ‘restriction of gin’ in those days was also a punishment) 

However, back to my question, do you think the restriction of privileges could have influenced a soldier’s pension and bed at the hospital ?

Thank you…, Iain.   ;)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 15:23 GMT (UK) »
There's an army file for Waterloo veteran Private George Cadwallader, 115, 3rd Foot Guards

Shaun, I suppose that's not a typing error ?  115 is his Army number ? 
MacFarlane - Tiree

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 15:39 GMT (UK) »
do you think the restriction of privileges could have influenced a soldier’s pension and bed at the hospital ?
Quite possibly. The loss of Waterloo benefits alone would have knocked 2 years off his pension rights.

As it is, George Cadwallader's army discharge papers show an impeccable record and he was given an out-pension. He wasn't severely disabled (varicose veins).

Only a small proportion of army pensioners were ever accepted into the Chelsea Hospital as in-pensioners. Most were given out-pensions, living at home, perhaps being accepted as in-pensioners on application later in life if they became unable to look after themselves.

Shaun, I suppose that's not a typing error ?  115 is his Army number ?
yes 115 is his army number.

I couldn't find him on the Waterloo medal roll but you have explained what happened in that respect. He did get the 2 years extra pension for having been at Waterloo. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Amazing… 
I had forgotten about the 2-years added to the service of ‘Waterloo Men.’  For which that was obviously an additional punishment.
However, with his ‘slate having been wiped clean,’ this must have allowed him to recover his Waterloo rights.

Shaun…, despite its ‘insignificance,’ this could be a vital piece of evidence in a Court of Appeal.  In as much as the 1836 decision concerned one of the Officers who abandoned him in Hougoumont wood.  This allowed the 1st Légère, commanded by Col. Cubières to surround Cadwallader and his 33 Comrades; obliging them to return to their respective regiments, instead of returning to the farm. 
As scapegoats, they were then considered as going AWOL…, with coward being mentioned on his Court-Martial record.

Rightly, this Officer encouraged the Regimental Adjutant to overrule the Court-Martial’s verdict.       
Love it !   ;)

Thank you.  Kind ReGuards…, Iain. 
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 April 22 15:03 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon everyone…

Concerning George Cadwallader…, try as I may, I’m unable to find him a wife.  I’ve started a new tree for him on Ancestry, however, there are no hints.  Searching the ‘public member trees,’ there are two possibilities, but they have the wrong death-date.  In addition, they both have him with a Sarah, which confuses the issue even further.

In his 1841 census, (Piece 732 – Book 8 – Folio 41 – Page 15) he is living with a Sarah Jackson and a Sarah Dann.  One is 10 years younger and the other 10 years older.  ‘Find a Grave,’ no details which could lead to a family. 

Is there any way of getting him married to one Sarah or the other ?
Thanks in advance…, Iain. 

PS  As a reminder..., born 1791 and died 14 June 1848
MacFarlane - Tiree